Calling all speeding ticket experts!

Dubguy85

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to court and plead down. If you absolutely have to have a clean record, you can bite the $200-300 bullet and lawyer up.

Cant afford to lawyer up as I is poor. I'm gonna try to do the talk to the prosecutor route I guess. I already have 1 from 08 and cant afford another one in case someone actually offers me a job. Insurance will go up with this one also.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I took a 1/2 day off work today to attend my speeding ticket trial.

Trial is at 2PM, I get a call around 10:45AM - sent to voicemail because I was in a meeting. Another call came in with similar digits, at 11:20AM. Finally broke out of my meeting at noon to find out that the judge granted a continuance of the case until 5/11 (Filed 4/29, granted 4/30). Supposedly, the pilot was sick and couldn't make it, and being the key witness the state had no case without him.

Being that I had already requested off, I took the time anyway and drove down there (about an hour one-way) - got some additional paperwork and some questions answered, but no trial.

Now, the rules of court say a continuance has to be filed (5) days in advance of the court date -- so I guess my question for the wannabe, soon-to-be, currently are, or otherwise legal experts is:

If I file a motion to dismiss because of procedural error, what's the likelihood it'll be granted? Do the courts have to follow their own rules? Maybe it's just me, but I think it pretty unprofessional (and unjust) that I find out 15 minutes before I have to leave for court, that it's rescheduled when I've already requested the time off work.

So, I took a 1/2 day off work today to attend my speeding ticket trial.

Trial is at 2PM, I get a call around 10:45AM - sent to voicemail because I was in a meeting. Another call came in with similar digits, at 11:20AM. Finally broke out of my meeting at noon to find out that the judge granted a continuance of the case until 5/11 (Filed 4/29, granted 4/30). Supposedly, the pilot was sick and couldn't make it, and being the key witness the state had no case without him.

Being that I had already requested off, I took the time anyway and drove down there (about an hour one-way) - got some additional paperwork and some questions answered, but no trial.

Now, the rules of court say a continuance has to be filed (5) days in advance of the court date -- so I guess my question for the wannabe, soon-to-be, currently are, or otherwise legal experts is:

If I file a motion to dismiss because of procedural error, what's the likelihood it'll be granted? Do the courts have to follow their own rules? Maybe it's just me, but I think it pretty unprofessional (and unjust) that I find out 15 minutes before I have to leave for court, that it's rescheduled when I've already requested the time off work.

File it. The worst they are going to do is deny you. I requested a continuance the night before my speeding ticket trial (because I found out that night I was due in court the next morning, they sent the notice to the wrong address and I never received it). They denied my continuance, put a warrant out for me, and then dismissed the case a couple days later after they saw the court made the mistake in sending the notice to the wrong address. :banana: