State route 555 (Triple Nickel)

dpudim

Rode 555 today, it was in decent shape, about as good as last fall. Some cinders here and there and some salt residue, but no worse than normal.

I also veered off in Chesterhill and tried 377, haven't been on that road before but I really like it, makes a good alternative along that stretch.

676 was awful from 555 over to Churchtown - really tore up, but from there on in to Marietta was pretty good.

I rode it today myself. From Chesterhill to 78 was pretty messy; lots of small broken sticks and all sorts of stuff that looks like either it was thrown up onto the road from road work alongside the road or it fell off of a farm truck full of crap. There was some gravel and cinders too. BE CAREFUL if going south on 555 from 78; there was one particularly nasty blind corner with a significant amount of fine gravel right in the worst spot in the lane. I wish I had a more accurate idea of where it was located, but I didn't think to stop and mark it in my GPS. Keep your eyes open :)

North of 78 all the way to Zanesville was very nice. As soon as you get off of 78, the road cleans up very nicely and there was no more gravel/dirt than you'd expect from 555 at any other time of the season.

One thing I did notice is that people that live on 555 must be quite used to seeing bikes. Lots of people were out doing yardwork/mowing the lawn today, and the majority of them either gave me a wave of some sort or gave me the "rev it up" gesture. I was sort of expecting those folks to be rather anti-bike given the popularity of 555, but they seem friendly :)

Edited by Harb67

One thing I did notice is that people that live on 555 must be quite used to seeing bikes. Lots of people were out doing yardwork/mowing the lawn today, and the majority of them either gave me a wave of some sort or gave me the "rev it up" gesture. I was sort of expecting those folks to be rather anti-bike given the popularity of 555, but they seem friendly :)

Those people are like the people you see at rally races - they get excited egging people on and will help you right your bike if you wreck into their yards to get you back on your merry way - though you are obliged to listen to their motorcycling days gone by if that happens.

BE CAREFUL if going south on 555 from 78; there was one particularly nasty blind corner with a significant amount of fine gravel right in the worst spot in the lane. I wish I had a more accurate idea of where it was located, but I didn't think to stop and mark it in my GPS. Keep your eyes open :)

I'm betting it was the corner of Wood Rd. and 555.

Lat: 39.513316

Long: -81.912497

That's blind and always littered with gravel from Wood Rd. dumping onto it. Collects a few riders every year.