Unemployment Extensions?

jporter12

What are your thoughts on this?

Are unemployment extensions that have been granted since the economic downturn enabling people to be lazy, abusing the system? Is it that they are getting more appropriate jobs by having more time to prepare?

I'm not asking for any particular reason, other than the news had a piece on about it.

Edited by jporter12

This article? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/01/gop-sen-kyl-unemployment_n_481526.html

Eh, I'm sure it makes some lazy. But by definition, being 'unemployed' means you are actively pursuing work. If you're not, you don't fall into the definition of unemployed. From what I understand, you do have to provide some type of evidence that you are searching for work in your field.

This article? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/01/gop-sen-kyl-unemployment_n_481526.html

Eh, I'm sure it makes some lazy. But by definition, being 'unemployed' means you are actively pursuing work. If you're not, you don't fall into the definition of unemployed. From what I understand, you do have to provide some type of evidence that you are searching for work in your field.

It was a segment on the local news, but I can look at that one later....

For any system which benefits anyone, some percentage of people will try and succeed in exploiting it. So of course we want to try and minimize the number of people using a service/ program who don't actually need it or 'deserve' it.

At the same time, however, I can't advocate blocking or doing away with something that benefits thousands of Americans who have honestly hit hard times and are actively seeking to work just to spite some smaller percentage of people who might be milking the benefits.

one of the things it does do is keeps ppl from taking lower paying jobs. why accept a job making $400 a week when you're already getting $300/week doing nothing and have another year of benefits? i just went off unemployment 2 weeks ago after my employer called us all back in to work. i know at least 3 other ppl who are on it as well and i think you can be on it for nearly a year and a half at this point if memory serves me, seems like plenty of time to me...

6 to 1, half a dozen the other. I am sure there are some abusers, not like there weren't any before the economy took a shit. The problem I see now, even as the economy begins to make a comeback, the higher paying jobs that were eliminated aren't coming back as quickly. That combined with the fact that an employer with an entry level opening is probably going to pass over the "over qualified" applicant knowing that they will probably leave as soon a good paying postion comes along again.

Employment extensions are reasonable when there is high unemployment. It does actually work out. Especially if companies call people back in. And it's pretty much expected to happen. Sometimes it just allows time for other things to happen. Like grants to return to school, which might not be offered the first year.

Another aspect to consider is that the person indirectly paid into unemplyment anyway.

I'm not saying the extensions are bad. I just wonder how many people are "milking the system" compared to getting out there and working, because the jobs aren''t paying much more than what their unemployment amounts are. It seems to me that places are hiring all over the place, but knowing they will be getting a check from unemployment people aren't taking a lesser job. On the other side, how many people are using the time being unemployed to pursue more education?

in these extrodinary times, it takes extrodinary measures.

normally I would say it isn't necessary.

but remember these folks were forced out of work. they didn't quit. they had a job.

many of them have the hopes of returning to their job.

yeah there are job openings going around but take a look at what 90% of them are. one word to sum it all up...shit. pure and simple shit jobs. take a look for a few weeks in want adds.

the part that irritates me the most about this whole thing is folks think it's perfectly ok to send our tax money for foreign aid but it's not acceptable to help their fellow americans in their time of need.

also keep in mind they are paying taxes out of their tiny unemployment checks.

they aren't living high on unemployment. it's only like 30-40% of what they were making.

it's no joy ride. and hardly worth staying on it.

Edited by serpentracer

Another aspect to consider is that the person indirectly paid into unemplyment anyway.

I'm not saying the extensions are bad. I just wonder how many people are "milking the system" compared to getting out there and working, because the jobs aren''t paying much more than what their unemployment amounts are. It seems to me that places are hiring all over the place, but knowing they will be getting a check from unemployment people aren't taking a lesser job. On the other side, how many people are using the time being unemployed to pursue more education?

honestly they are only hurting themselves in the long run by waiting it out like that.

you are only going to get so much period. they are just extending your standard 26 weeks to 53. after that, it's over for good. until you get a job and work for X amount of time.

honestly they are only hurting themselves in the long run by waiting it out like that.

you are only going to get so much period. they are just extending your standard 26 weeks to 53. after that, it's over for good. until you get a job and work for X amount of time.

The guy interviewed for the story seemed to be the type to milk it out, and now is in a panic to get a job. Crying boo hoo, poor, poor me....

My step-mom is collecting unemployment, and has been on quite a few interviews. At least she is trying to get a job, but she's not rushing to flip burgers in the interim. It was nice that she could help us out with our childcare situation for a few days!

in these extrodinary times, it takes extrodinary measures.

normally I would say it isn't necessary.

but remember these folks were forced out of work. they didn't quit. they had a job.

many of them have the hopes of returning to their job.

yeah there are job openings going around but take a look at what 90% of them are. one word to sum it all up...shit. pure and simple shit jobs. take a look for a few weeks in want adds.

the part that irritates me the most about this whole thing is folks think it's perfectly ok to send our tax money for foreign aid but it's not acceptable to help their fellow americans in their time of need.

also keep in mind they are paying taxes out of their tiny unemployment checks.

they aren't living high on unemployment. it's only like 30-40% of what they were making.

it's no joy ride. and hardly worth staying on it.

:plus1: The jobs that are out there are SHIT!

Good family sustaining jobs have not made a comeback. God help us that are in the construction trades. Those were some decent paying jobs. $10/hr jobs wont cut it for those people.

We'll soon see if there are 95,000 jobs waiting for these lazy fucks.

About 17,000 unemployed Ohioans are about to reach the end of their eligibility for unemployment benefits.

The Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services says the benefits will run out by the end of March and another 79,000 will run out by the end of April.

http://www.northcentralohio.com/newsboard/single.asp?Story=40427

I *think* that's a good thing. Isn't there pretty much always a shortage of nurses?

Yea, it's good. The next 20 years or so the Boomers are going to strain the system a lot. Plus, the whole more people with better paying jobs thing too.

We'll soon see if there are 95,000 jobs waiting for these lazy fucks.

WOW. Gearman, pretty f-ing strong words from someone who obviously hasn't tried looking for a job in this market. I give maybe 10% of these "lazy fucks" actually fall into that category...

where do some of you get a person on unemployment is lazy?

it's not welfare. they had a job. their job threw them to the curb like yesterdays trash.

it's not their fault they are jobless right now.

you can't get unemployment if you quit. and I think you can't get it if you get a simple fired.

they have your employer fill out paperwork to prove you were working and are laid off.

these people are not lazy. they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. until you are foced to be in that situation where no jobs in your line of work are available, you don't know what it's like being forced into the reality of having to give up everything you worked hard for just to take a job making what you did after highschool all over again.

and we all know how shitty that is.

and don't come back in here with the go back to school shit. you know god damn well how long it takes to get a degree and find a job. you are looking at 3-5 years easy. you got exactly 26 weeks without an extension, 53 with it. what kind of cracker jack box degree are you really going to get in 53 weeks?

Edited by serpentracer

Don't burn your pitchforks yet folks... I think gearman was being sarcastic. That's a lost art around here...

Kind of a touchy subject. You'd understand if you were in that situation and people were calling you lazy.

Maybe I would... but I'm not the one on here with the anti-government social services message either. I favor unemployment benefits and welfare because I understand they have merits in the majority of cases.

Though, to be fair, I'm sure SOME of those people are lazy (out of the entire unemployment crowd - not on ORDN). The anti-government rhetoric just makes them lazy AND hypocritical.