520 vs. 525 sprocket/chain conversion

ShankroidBeast

I'm going to do a conversion on my 00 GSX-R600 and was wondering what if any real difference it can make or effect the bike either way between the 520 and 525 kits?

I have a Mustang GT and went from 3.27 gears to 4.10 and dollar for dollar that was hands down the best mod I did even though it killed about 2mpg on the highway :(

So any reason to get one over the other? And those who did it, is there a noticeable difference after the conversion? It would be nice to hit the powerband a little sooner :p

Yeah... you're a little confused. 520' date=' 525 and 530 aren't gear ratios. They are chain pitch sizes.

My opinion isn't necessary, because we'll have enough of that in this thread in no time.[/quote']

But the conversion does change the final ratio on the bike which what my question pertained to I was confused by the jargon on the sites. I wouldn't be converting if it was the stock ratio. I guess I should be asking how many down in front up in back would be a better ratio than stock but not too aggressive it It can go 17/46 on the very extreme end it appears.

Edited by ShankroidBeast

the "conversion" is not final drive ratio, its the change in pitch size like IP said. you have 530 or 532 stock whatever doesn't matter, but you're going to a 520 or 525.

You also have the option in this "conversion" to change your gear ratio's, its not an implied change you can have whatever gears you want.

also down 1 in the front is up 3 in the rear.

don't know what rawlins is talking about, the 520's are plenty strong for 600 power.

the "conversion" is not final drive ratio, its the change in pitch size like IP said. you have 530 or 532 stock whatever doesn't matter, but you're going to a 520 or 525.

You also have the option in this "conversion" to change your gear ratio's, its not an implied change you can have whatever gears you want.

also down 1 in the front is up 3 in the rear.

don't know what rawlins is talking about, the 520's are plenty strong for 600 power.

Hell I run 520 on my 1000rr it's plenty strong.

Just my opinion.

If the 520 was strong enough the bike would have came from the factory with it.

Ok the 520 chain is strong enough for rossi so strength is not an issue. Its for weight! The 520 chain is thinner and lighter and depending on model has better "o-rings" or x-rings or some kind of better sealing ring. The most common GEAR change would be to go-1 in the front and +2 in the rear. It is DEFF the best bang for the buck power and feel wise. Remember this gear change will make ur spedo even more wrong and your top speed will be cut down. Its perfect for almost any streetbike to go -1+2.

Ok the 520 chain is strong enough for rossi so strength is not an issue. Its for weight! The 520 chain is thinner and lighter and depending on model has better "o-rings" or x-rings or some kind of better sealing ring. The most common GEAR change would be to go-1 in the front and +2 in the rear. It is DEFF the best bang for the buck power and feel wise. Remember this gear change will make ur spedo even more wrong and your top speed will be cut down. Its perfect for almost any streetbike to go -1+2.

Thank you!!! This is the exact answer I was looking for. A 520 and -1 in front and +2 in the back is what I'm getting. I'm not concerned about top speed, my balls turn to the size of raisins even approaching 100, so if it goes 140 instead of 150 I would never know nor care. As far as my spedo, I'll use a GPS and mark my tach in increments. That way I only have to look at one gauge :D

Thank you!!! This is the exact answer I was looking for. A 520 and -1 in front and +2 in the back is what I'm getting. I'm not concerned about top speed, my balls turn to the size of raisins even approaching 100, so if it goes 140 instead of 150 I would never know nor care. As far as my spedo, I'll use a GPS and mark my tach in increments. That way I only have to look at one gauge :D

You're not going to notice the weight difference between a 520 and 525.

The only thing you'll experience is faster chain wear.

if you're concerned they make speedo healers that work great! I actually got one from 12oclock labs and love it. I have -1 +2 so not having the right speed annoyed me and they are pretty inexpensive as well

You're not going to notice the weight difference between a 520 and 525.

The only thing you'll experience is faster chain wear.

:plus1:

Are you doing this conversion because you need a new chain?

If not save money and just buy new sprockets.

When I need a new chain I'm seriously thinking of converting the RC back to 530.

here is my opinion because i know IP loves them:

you need to buy the chain and sprocket as a package unit. you buy a new chain with old sprockets and the chain will wear faster, or visa versa with new sprockets.

That's good advice and yep, I'm replacing it all with a "kit". The bike has nearly 18k on it and it was not well maintained I'm afraid, so I little peace of mind and with some help from new gearing the bike will be even more fun than it already is!!!!