License plates in pictures

redkow97

In some states you can search local court records online by license plate. The BMV does not give out private data from license plates to other private citizens without the plateholder's written permission or unless you qualify under on of the special exemptions. See BMV Form 1173 Part C.

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv1173.pdf

I obscure plates in my pics because there's plenty of crazy people out there that can use that information to track you down. Agreed, a PI is not supposed to give out that kind of information to the public - but people do a lot of things they shouldn't.

Yeah, people who drive past you can see your plate - but those people don't typically get to read all about your political affiliations, views on abortion and God and Obamacare etc. If you don't give them a reason to be pissed off at you then you can just drive on by into obscurity. But people tend to get pissed off on forums and the internet provides too many ways to track someone down.

I don't bother because I have nothing to hide. And if someone wants to know something all they have to do is ask. They'll find out more about me from my name and the right county vs. my plate #. If they want to use my bike for a CL scam or call it theirs (not likely since it's a dike bike) so be it. What am I going to do? Not a damn thing. Plus I don't like to use photo shop.

I don't bother because I have nothing to hide. And if someone wants to know something all they have to do is ask. They'll find out more about me from my name and the right county vs. my plate #. If they want to use my bike for a CL scam or call it theirs (not likely since it's a dike bike) so be it. What am I going to do? Not a damn thing. Plus I don't like to use photo shop.

I don't volunteer info they don't need, because I have nothing to hide.

?? can't say :cool:

I think Chris knows a Melissa though... I also think his middle name is Brian

are you serious, or just trolling for information now?

everyone knows a Melissa. I can think of one that I actually "know" and two others that I'm facebook 'friends' with. None share a last name with me.

My middle name is not Brian.

your databases suck.

Yea, I got nothing... :lol: I'm not willing to plunk down the $30 to prove the point that many of us have been making. Pretty much all I found out was your last name begins with 'R'. I thought your name was Chris B Renk. Guy seemed about to be your age, and in Parma.

But, if someone is that pissed at you... they'll find you.

Edited by JRMMiii

and I doubt they'd need my license plate.

Well yea... but the point is, why make it easier? You can leave your house unlocked when you go to the grocery store too and it'll probably be fine, but you don't Twitter your house is unlocked at this address and you'll be gone for the next 3 hours...

You're just enabling people. But whatev. To each their own, your level of comfort for privacy is different from everyone elses.

I remember hearing about this guy that had "No Plate" on his plate. Well he kept getting tickets in the mail for citations states away where he never was. Come to find out when some cops would ticket a vehicle that didn't have plates on it, they would write " No Plate" where it asked for the plate number. They guy got new plates.

I remember hearing about this guy that had "No Plate" on his plate. Well he kept getting tickets in the mail for citations states away where he never was. Come to find out when some cops would ticket a vehicle that didn't have plates on it, they would write " No Plate" where it asked for the plate number. They guy got new plates.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/noplate.asp

You remember correctly...

Thats hilarious.

You know whats funny about all this, I forgot I blanked my own plates

out on my CarDomain pics :lol:... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/369283

Edited by SWing'R

I think what most people are missing here is the information dependencies. I don't post my license plate because I don't need to make it easier.

Finding information on people is stupid easy if you know what you're doing, but I'm not worried about those people, I'm worried about not making it stupid easy for average joe.

Given your username it's relatively easy to figure out someone's name and county

which is enough to give you their address own or rent

which is enough to figure out the vehicles that are registered at that address

It's the same thing as locking the doors on your home... yes, someone determined enough will get in, but do you really want to make it that easy?

Edit: reading back I'm saying a lot of the same stuff as JRM in post #43

Woo-hoo! :D

I think what most people are missing here is the information dependencies. I don't post my license plate because I don't need to make it easier.

Finding information on people is stupid easy if you know what you're doing, but I'm not worried about those people, I'm worried about not making it stupid easy for average joe.

Given your username it's relatively easy to figure out someone's name and county

which is enough to give you their address own or rent

which is enough to figure out the vehicles that are registered at that address

It's the same thing as locking the doors on your home... yes, someone determined enough will get in, but do you really want to make it that easy?

Edit: reading back I'm saying a lot of the same stuff as JRM in post #43

Yeah that's all I was saying too, I think you just typed it out better. :D