First Service Help

goal12

I've hit the 600 mile mark and need to get that first major service done. Was thinking about taking it into the dealer but I rather not burn money paying them to do simple check-ups.

Anyone out in East Columbus who can show me how to do proper maintenance? Of course there will be beer and pizza for your hard work. But be forewarned, I am a major newbie and not too mechanically inclined.

Thanks

Scheduled my break-in service at the dealership.... $300 and "we'll have it for about a week or so 'cause we're super busy". Called Yamaha of Columbus (Iron Pony) and "about $100 and feel free to shop while you wait". Apparently I bought it at the wrong place.

I guess I can do it myself if its just an oil change, just wanted to know if there was anything more to worry about if its running fine. thanks all

The only other thing they'll do is check bolts for tightness, and if they're a really good shop they'll re-torque everything. I would highly suggest at least checking everything because at about 1000 miles I found the nut on top of my triple loose. I'm sure someone around you has a torque wrench, I have one if it comes down to that

edit: I come into Columbus occasionally for OR functions so it wouldn't be a big deal swing by

I've hit the 600 mile mark and need to get that first major service done. Was thinking about taking it into the dealer but I rather not burn money paying them to do simple check-ups.

Anyone out in East Columbus who can show me how to do proper maintenance? Of course there will be beer and pizza for your hard work. But be forewarned, I am a major newbie and not too mechanically inclined.

Thanks

I would not cut any corners on your first service, it's never "just and oil change and look things over"

It's going over alot of your bolts with a torque wrench, adjusting the chain maybe changing differential oil. Adjusting your clutch, making sure your brakes are wearing the way they should etc.

If you don't trust your dealer take it to Mid-Ohio

I would not cut any corners on your first service, it's never "just and oil change and look things over"

It's going over alot of your bolts with a torque wrench, adjusting the chain maybe changing differential oil. Adjusting your clutch, making sure your brakes are wearing the way they should etc.

thats what they SAY they do... in reality... i dunno...

it doesnt help that at the dealer, many times the "tech" who is doing this job (and who probably assembled the bike out of the crate) is some 16 year old kid who got a job there because he thinks bikes are cool.

If you don't trust your dealer take it to Mid-Ohio

guessing you never watched your HD dealer do your 500 mile service. It is indeed just changing oil, check "critical" fasteners, check belt(s)/chain(s). They do not pull your wheel and verify brake wear. If they did, I would not have bothered purchasing the service manual for my HD and thrown away my complimentary k-y supply courtesy of HD.

Ok, so I called the dealership and asked what they do at the 600 mile service. they said they have 34-point checklist (I don't know where they come with that number unless checking the tread in 2 different spots of the tire count as 2 separate steps...)

They also said that if I did the service it would void warranty... didn't fall for that one

The guy also mentioned that the service manual isn't what they have in the shop and that I can buy one that is generic at their parts store for 36 bucks. Is this just another bull sh*t sales tactic? And where do you guys buy your service manuals?

The guy also mentioned that the service manual isn't what they have in the shop and that I can buy one that is generic at their parts store for 36 bucks. Is this just another bull sh*t sales tactic? And where do you guys buy your service manuals?

their "34 point" checklist would also be found in your owner's manual. It will detail exactly what needs to be checked and or serviced for each of the scheduled services.

for HD, the difference between the moco sold "Service Manual" and the "Shop Manual" is little to do with process and mostly convenience.

In the end user 'service manual', the torque specs are listed independently of where the service procedure appears, (ie; for wheel removal it tells you to remove this bolt and that bolt, but does not state the torque values nor the bolt specs in the same section). In the HD 'shop manual' all pertinent info is listed together.

I also noticed that the Clymer service manual for my bike is a bit difficult follow and quite vague at times. The actual HD manual is 100 times better.

Purchase the service manual for you bike, find a forum specific to your bike, and start there. Even if you NEVER wrench on your own bike, at least you will know what the stealer I mean Dealer was supposed to repair and the steps involved. An informed consumer is the one least likely to get screwed.

Edited by AOW