Brakes Lines need Help!

Doomking

I changed my front brake lines on my ZX11D.....

After installing the new ones I filled the reservoir of the master cylinder with brake fluid DOT4.

With the reservoir cap off I open the bleed valve, hold brake lever, close bleed valve, release brake lever......repeat.

I have been doing this for a while and all I see is few little air bubble in the master cylinder reservoir and the fluid stays the same level.

My question is:

Am I doing it right?

Do I need to bleed one line at the time or both at the same time?

How long it takes before the fluid comes out the bleed valve?

And lastly.....should I open the banjo bolts at the caliper to help fluid flow through the lines, and then proceed to bleeding the lines?

All the help is appreciated.

Thanks

I will tell you that doing it the way you are is the hardest way to do it, but not impossible. It sounds like you're doing it right, in fact you can actually just gravity bleed the brake lines. Put a hose onto the bleeder screw, the other end into container, fill the reservoir and open the bleeder screw. The weight of the fluid will push the air out and you'll see the level in the reservoir go down. Do not crack the banjo bolts loose! I consider the sealing washers on those 'one time' use stuff. Leave that alone. as far as the order, I like to bleed the left side first (or the longest line). It doesn't really matter, though. Are you getting a firm lever? Remember, air goes up and any in the system will find it's way up to the reservoir. Use the gravity way to get an initial fill, then go with the lever pump and bleed screw release and tighten. You should be fine. GL!

Thanks for the reply....

The brake lever is not firm at all , in fact it feels like the same when I removed the original lines and there were not fluid in it.

I'll definitely try the gravity method. I'll see if the level goes down as I am doing it.

I'll leave the banjo bolts alone like you suggested.

If in a few days still have no luck, maybe I should install speedbleaders? Would that help?

Did you replace the Crush washers between the banjo bolts? Your suppose to use new ones everytime Crush/line/crush etc. I had no issues in doing this on several bikes on front and rear lines. I think I always filled master and then went to farthest line and started there. Hook up a clear tube, pump/open/close repeat till air gone, then move over to next line and master cylinder itself. But thats for a 2 line setup, not sure if your doing a cross-over system or if its really any different.

The beautiful thing about speed bleeders is that the threads have a rubberized coating on them. If you notice when you crack open a bleeder screw, they're very loose in their threads. The speed bleeders are solid, otherwise they could never work. If you have the speed bleeders, by all means put them in!

I just changed mine. Same method. Alternate calipers, but you need to do the banjo bolts also. I changed the washers and had no issuses. Took about 20 mins to bleed and wow what I difference.

He hasn't said so yet, but I have to believe he changed out the banjo washers (hope so), after all, they come with every kit. He's logged out so he's working the problem. Let's see what he comes up with.

And lastly.....should I open the banjo bolts at the caliper to help fluid flow through the lines, and then proceed to bleeding the lines?

Yes, if you want to get all the air out, you'll have to "Bleed" the banjo bolts. A little bubble of air always seems to get trapped at the top, right off the reservoir and fluid will never make it to the calipers if you dont.

I just changed mine. Same method. Alternate calipers, but you need to do the banjo bolts also. I changed the washers and had no issues. Took about 20 mins to bleed and wow what a difference.

:plus1: Of course it is much easier to have a friends help like Blake had. ;)

Have someone pump them up 4 or 5 times and hold them while you bleed.

Just back from work....thanks for all the reply.

The copper washers are all new and installed properly with the appropriate torque. I'll try the gravity thingy, and if no luck I'll buy one of those vacuum pump for $20 at harbor freight and pump the line and then bleed them....

We'll see how it goes today...

Thanks