600 mile tune up ????

Fazerlady

My bike is in the shop for the 600 mile check... dropped it off and didn't think it would be more than 150 all in all. He gave me a copy of the order and it said $210 for labor + parts...:eek: WTF??? How many hours can you work on a brand new bike??? Hubby paid $145 incl oil/filter etc at Comp Accessories for his 600 mile tune up. Am I being ripped off? I will go pick up the bike today, but I am not sure I will take it back there after this...:confused:

My bike is in the shop for the 600 mile check... dropped it off and didn't think it would be more than 150 all in all. He gave me a copy of the order and it said $210 for labor + parts...:eek: WTF??? How many hours can you work on a brand new bike??? Hubby paid $145 incl oil/filter etc at Comp Accessories for his 600 mile tune up. Am I being ripped off? I will go pick up the bike today, but I am not sure I will take it back there after this...:confused:

What shop?

600 miles? All needed is an oil change and checking bolts and shit for tightness. 3 hours at $70/hr labor is $210. I can see that, but it does NOT take 3 fuggin hours to do that shit.

I just pay for oil and do it all myself. Huge money saver.

Edited by NinjaNick

That seems high I would ask them to break it down and show you how much everything costs. Find out what the 600 srvice is (what all is done). You should be able to find it in your manual. That way u know if they charged you for something you didn't need.

Next time ask them in advance how much it will cost. By law' date=' they have to give you an estimate. Don't blame them... you didn't do your part.

On a more friendly note... NinjaNick is right. $210 is only 3 hours @ $70/hour. They prolly charge at least that for labor.[/quote']

True prevention is key. I shop around for service for my car and bike its normally within 20 bucks for normal service. I always ask what the out the door total cost will be before I even schedule the service. Before I hang up I make sure I have written down the price and person I spoke to. I know its probably annoying to the person on the other end of the line but I gotta look out for myself. Also id rather be annoying on the phone than irate at the counter trying to argue a useless argument about charges for something that's already finished.