Adjusting Clutch and Brake levers?!

JaysonL

So I tried a bunch of different searchs and didn't find anything that specially came right out and explained how to adjust the amount of pull or grab in the clutch and front brake lever.

I will have pictures of where mine are at now when I get home from school to help out.

I'm thinking about making the clutch slightly tighter and seeing if I like that better than what I have now or whether I like what I have....

Also, I'd like to bring the front brake lever in a little bit closer to the bar when it's completely out and fully disengaged. I'm trying to gap some of the distance my fingers have to reach to get to the lever when disengaged and make my front brake a little more sensitive overall....

Can anyone help me out with this?!

So I tried a bunch of different searchs and didn't find anything that specially came right out and explained how to adjust the amount of pull or grab in the clutch and front brake lever.

I will have pictures of where mine are at now when I get home from school to help out.

I'm thinking about making the clutch slightly tighter and seeing if I like that better than what I have now or whether I like what I have....

Also, I'd like to bring the front brake lever in a little bit closer to the bar when it's completely out and fully disengaged. I'm trying to gap some of the distance my fingers have to reach to get to the lever when disengaged and make my front brake a little more sensitive overall....

Can anyone help me out with this?!

i can't tell you about your specific bike but, on sportbikes that i've had the clutch is a dial that is used for minor adjustments and if you follow the clutch cable you will find a nut and locknut for major adjustments.

the distance really can't be adjusted without affecting the engagement point unless you get aftermarket levers.

for the brakes there is a dial indicator, the lower the number "1" the farther away it is from the bar, whereas 5 is closer. adjusting the sensitivity of the brakes is more changing the fluid and getting rid of the air bubbles.

i can't tell you about your specific bike but, on sportbikes that i've had the clutch is a dial that is used for minor adjustments and if you follow the clutch cable you will find a nut and locknut for major adjustments.

the distance really can't be adjusted without affecting the engagement point unless you get aftermarket levers.

for the brakes there is a dial indicator, the lower the number "1" the farther away it is from the bar, whereas 5 is closer. adjusting the sensitivity of the brakes is more changing the fluid and getting rid of the air bubbles.

Ohhhhh ok, thanks. So if I want to adjust either the clutch/brake engagement points it's gonna be a little more involved than changing the lever's distance from the bar?!

And I'm not terribly concerned with either my clutch or front brake sensitivity. I just figured if it was an easy and simple adjustment I might as well try something new in case I liked that set up better. :dunno:

As for the brake lever.... I tried to twist the dial with my fingers, and then with pliers and it would budge. Is there a screw or something that I need to loosen/adjust along with the dial?! Or am I just the weakz.... :cool:

Pretty much nailed it right there :nono:

Haha. Well at least I know now.... :rolleyes:

I'm not afraid to be a complete dumbass and ask those legitimately "stupid questions". I just wanna know what I should be doing! :)

Ohhhhh ok, thanks. So if I want to adjust either the clutch/brake engagement points it's gonna be a little more involved than changing the lever's distance from the bar?!

And I'm not terribly concerned with either my clutch or front brake sensitivity. I just figured if it was an easy and simple adjustment I might as well try something new in case I liked that set up better. :dunno:

As for the brake lever.... I tried to twist the dial with my fingers, and then with pliers and it would budge. Is there a screw or something that I need to loosen/adjust along with the dial?! Or am I just the weakz.... :cool:

changing the position of the brake lever will not change the amount of travel needed for X amount of braking. that is determined by the lever ratio and the sizes of the master cyl and caliper pistons.

all the dial does is move the lever closer or further from the bar. the lever will still travel the same distance for whatever percent of braking (it will sweep the same area) it just does it closer or further to the bar.

if you want less lever travel for more braking, you have to move the fulcrum or change the cylinder ratio. there are some levers out there that do lengthen the short end of the lever (same effect as moving fulcrum)... some older yamahas had them IIRC. they had a screw that you could adjust that would go change the rod length going into the master cylinder.

try to push the lever OUT away from the bar, and then turn the dial. may be a bit easier to turn.

Guess you're right, 13 was a long time ago

:mad: Add 5 more years of invincibility to that number my friend!

And thanks for all the help guys. Also, I've become somewhat of a "google skeptic." (I've had quite a hard time finding simple shit with simple search terms.... it frustrates me and makes me Hulk-Smash keyboards)

But, anyway, all the advice and knowledge is appreciated and was definitely helpful. Even what that sheep-fucking fruit had to say! :D

:sheepfucker::fruit: