sideways license plate?

JamesE

Calm down badass. I know I'm in your house and everything but I truly think you're mistaken.

Let's pretend, You're putting around Columbus and a so called a-hole cop pulls you over and says, "The reason I pulled you over is that your plate is visually hard to read". You reply, "Hey fucktard, dumbass that's not the law here, do you need flashcards or something?" The Officer responds, "No, to me the plate violates the law and is visibly obscured due to its orientation, so here is your citation for that and this and this and this". Get my point? Why are you being so difficult? The reason you have been good for 4yrs is that the police don't give a shit about you or your bike plate. We are talking the law here right? I'm just giving you the perceptive from someone who deals with this everyday. Ask your city prosecutor in Lima since they have court jurisdiction for your city. Is this the end of the world, no not at all. Just giving honest answers to help you guys out. If you don't want it then good luck, maybe that's why some cops go out of their way to mess with the superbike riders. Your Attitude goes much farther with the police on a stop, than the violation of local and state laws. So the correct answer is hang your plate the way it was made and ride on. If not, then there are possibilities you may have to argue your interpretation of the law in court. Why bother with it? By the way you are governed by the laws of any city that you travel through.

Edited by dsump

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

335.10 LICENSE PLATES TO BE UNOBSTRUCTED....

Tons of cities in Ohio have similar laws. Either left to right or 'unobstructed' from the rear. A vertical mount is usually beside the tire, and that positioning will get you obstructed. Last summer Lakewood was all over writing tickets for that.

Calm down badass. I know I'm in your house and everything but I truly think you're mistaken.

Let's pretend, You're putting around Columbus and a so called a-hole cop pulls you over and says, "The reason I pulled you over is that your plate is visually hard to read". You reply, "Hey fucktard, dumbass that's not the law here, do you need flashcards or something?" The Officer responds, "No, to me the plate violates the law and is visibly obscured due to its orientation, so here is your citation for that and this and this and this". Get my point? Why are you being so difficult? The reason you have been good for 4yrs is that the police don't give a shit about you or your bike plate. We are talking the law here right? I'm just giving you the perceptive from someone who deals with this everyday. Ask your city prosecutor in Lima since they have court jurisdiction for your city. Is this the end of the world, no not at all. Just giving honest answers to help you guys out. If you don't want it then good luck, maybe that's why some cops go out of their way to mess with the superbike riders. Your Attitude goes much farther with the police on a stop, than the violation of local and state laws. So the correct answer is hang your plate the way it was made and ride on. If not, then there are possibilities you may have to argue your interpretation of the law in court. Why bother with it? By the way you are governed by the laws of any city that you travel through.

I dont buy that you deal with this every day. If you did, you wouldn't be posting incorrect information. "So the correct answer is hang your plate the way it was made.." How about you quit trying to tell people how they should have their bike?!? And no, citizens of other cities are NOT governed by the DISPLAY laws of the city being traveled through. If that were the case, every person from a state doesn't require a front plate displayed would get a ticket when they drove thru Ohio.

You obviously don't know anything about the law and it's interpretation. Ya see dumbass, I dont live in the window licking town of Elyria so I'm not governed by their display laws while riding thru. Does that make sense to you or should I get some flash cards?

:lol: I love you Sam, not in a Brokeback Mountain kinda way though. :lol:

Now I await Black Tod's response to the window licking :D

Crossing state lines is a different set of circumstances, you live in Ohio correct? Using the example of one plate is not a good comparison due to the fact that say, Florida does not issue two plates and they are a Compact State with Ohio. Let's use this: A Florida resident has a smoke tinted license plate cover that makes the plate hard to read. A Police Officer in Ohio can stop him or her and either one, advise them to remove it, or issue them a citation. There is an agreement between Ohio and many of the other states that we (Ohio) agree to observe the laws of other compact states as long as they agree to ours. Be aware that state law is only a guideline to local and municipal laws, which means that a local city can not make a different law that changes what the state law reads but can add to it. So in this case "Visibly obscured" are the magic words in your city and in others it is "read left to right, then visibly obscured". So a Police Officer in Elyria or Lakewood observes you riding lawfully on their section of the highway and observes your plate to be violating their city code, (and possibly state code) they CAN stop you and cite you with either the city code, since its not mounted left to right or the state code since the plate could be arguably obscured by the way you have it mounted. By the statement, hang it like its made, is saying that if the numbers and letters are printed horizontally then display it that way, or again as I said before, face the possibility of a court appearance. The plate is not your property and is only issued to you (hence the display laws). It can be confiscated from you by the BMV for many reasons. Your Driver's License is the same thing, you do not own it. The state gives you permission to drive because you have proven the ability and are competent to operate a motor vehicle.

Sam, I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest with you, I'm only providing pertinent information for the original poster and others who may be ignorant to the laws.

I just thought of a great example for you. Parma Ohio just passed a local law that you can not drive in their city while talking on a cell phone. Just because you are from Waynesfield you are not exempt since the law does not exist in Waynesfield. Two separate Ohio cities, one has the law and one does not. You are subject to any and all laws that are mandated for the venue in which you are located at the time of the violation.

If I didn't believe this shit then I would be violating someones civil rights if I fail to fully understand what I'm authorized to enforce. This is my life and I deal with it all the time. Believe it or not, I'm on your side as a rider and I just want to get it straight for everyone. Enjoy your summer of riding, and sorry for the smartass comment earlier. I should of held back until I met you in person first.

Edited by dsump

Sam, I'm not trying to get in a pissing contest with you, I'm only providing pertinent information for the original poster and others who may be ignorant to the laws.

I just thought of a great example for you. Parma Ohio just passed a local law that you can not drive in their city while talking on a cell phone. Just because you are from Waynesfield you are not exempt since the law does not exist in Waynesfield. Two separate Ohio cities, one has the law and one does not. You are subject to any and all laws that are mandated for the venue in which you are located at the time of the violation.

If I didn't believe this shit then I would be violating someones civil rights if I fail to fully understand what I'm authorized to enforce. This is my life and I deal with it all the time. Believe it or not, I'm on your side as a rider and I just want to get it straight for everyone. Enjoy your summer of riding, and sorry for the smartass comment earlier. I should of held back until I met you in person first.

I'm not talking about cell laws or any other laws. I know I have to obey laws of that nature. I'm talking about DISPLAY laws and I'm pretty sure that I've tried to make that clear in my previous posts.

Sam don't you have some sheep that need tended to? I'm sure they like it when you are rough with them, give the NEWB a break today.

Dont you have a female member to harass? Or fuck and then brag about it?

Naw that'd been a bad idea, you'd have called him somthing worse then. :)

QFT!