Need a new truck

asian900ss

Tacoma's are badass. expensive though.

there is a 4-door ranger; it's called the Explorer Sport Trac. Depending on how serious your towing needs, I believe the Sport Trac has an optional V8.

My ranger also had the 4.0 V6, and it had more towing power than I ever expected of it. I averaged 17-18 mpg, but on extended highway trips, 22 wasn't out of the question. Supposedly it could tow over 5,000 lbs. I saw the 3.0 tow a 6x10 enclosed trailer with 2 bikes in it no problem.

biggest thing I ever pulled was my friend's "Browns Bus" 1967 motorhome. I'd say it was 4,000 lbs. at least. Didn't want to make it up the hill out of the pit lot after a game. traction was a bigger problem than the towing. 6 drunk guys in the bed fixed that problem :-p

Pretty much my experience with Ranger as well except for towing a motorhome.

It also handles extremely well in snow. I never put weight in the back. I have the Firestone Destination tires, which I think are kickass.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently purchased a 2010 5.7V8 Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 with TRD package. So far I really like it. I don't haul much nor beat the crap out of it. I was in the market for a better truck and splurged on this since Toyota was offering 0% for 60 months. I'm getting about 14.5-15mpg driving it back and forth to work and running errands. This is according to the on-board MPG tracker.

I looked at basically every 1500 except the Titan. Ford and Dodges are rated better. I test drove both and like them very much as well. However, I just like the look of the Tundra the most and the 0% deal seemed best. Plus, the commercials suckered me in :) I even considered 2500 Dodge diesels...but decided that was too much truck for my needs. This tundra is probably too much truck for my needs :)

The back seat seems like the biggest in the class. The Crewmax has an enormous back seat...but it takes away from bed length...which I didn't want to do.

Anyway, I would say go with a 1500...you won't be disappointed...except with the gas mileage.

Anyway, I would say go with a 1500...you won't be disappointed...except with the gas mileage.

see, that's where I don't understand some people's choices...

gas mileage matters EVERY TIME you drive the truck. Towing manners only matter when you're towing.

if that's every day, then yeah, get a big diesel truck, but for most of us, towing is less than 5% of our driving. Yeah it sucks to strain a vehicle, not get good acceleration, and have to do 60 on the highway, because you're very near the recommended towing limit, but it's such a small portion of my driving that I can live with it.

The OP said he has a 3500 lbs. boat. I think a small truck with 4 doors, or even a truck-based SUV is probably the most practical choice; definitely if the boat lives in a marina, and is only towed twice a year. If it's towed every weekend, then yeah, a half-ton pickup starts looking like a smarter option.

see, that's where I don't understand some people's choices...

gas mileage matters EVERY TIME you drive the truck. Towing manners only matter when you're towing.

if that's every day, then yeah, get a big diesel truck, but for most of us, towing is less than 5% of our driving. Yeah it sucks to strain a vehicle, not get good acceleration, and have to do 60 on the highway, because you're very near the recommended towing limit, but it's such a small portion of my driving that I can live with it.

The OP said he has a 3500 lbs. boat. I think a small truck with 4 doors, or even a truck-based SUV is probably the most practical choice; definitely if the boat lives in a marina, and is only towed twice a year. If it's towed every weekend, then yeah, a half-ton pickup starts looking like a smarter option.

You're right with the gas mileage. My truck isn't my primary vehicle...which I should have considered in my response...so I didn't mind much. When I got my first truck 4 years ago, I originally started looking at s10's and rangers. I ended up with a dodge 1500. I was so glad I got it. Hauling/towing and just having a big engine was nice. I like the space too. It's like having an SUV that can haul mulch.

tacoma's are nice, just wish i could fit in one :(

Unless your a godamn giant, you can fit in 1 just fine. Im 6'3" and have zero problems.

Specs say

41.7 legroom tacoma

42.1 legroom colorado

41.3 legroom F150 king ranch

41.3 legroom chevy silverado

41 legroom dodge ram

42.5 legroom Tundra.

So like I said. you would have to be a godamn giant.

Edited by flounder

seat all the way back and wheel in normal position my legs were not liking it...its the seat height i had a problem with. this is what i drive now and it fits just fine.

15 mpg towing my gooseneck with my offroad truck on it. 19-23 unloaded. 10-11 when i'm being retarded :p.

PICT0008-1.jpg

Toyotas are nice but sorry I am not paying 48k for a 4 door tundra 4x4. And the trd is more then that. Stay away from the chevy/gm inline six if you want good gas milage. I have a trailblazer that gets 18 avg. for the gas milage I could have bought a full size and only lost like 1-2 mpg. my dad has a colorado and it is thirsty for a small truck also. I would saw look for a honda ridgeline if you want 4 door good gas milage and somewhat of a truck bed.

Toyotas are nice but sorry I am not paying 48k for a 4 door tundra 4x4. And the trd is more then that. Stay away from the chevy/gm inline six if you want good gas milage. I have a trailblazer that gets 18 avg. for the gas milage I could have bought a full size and only lost like 1-2 mpg. my dad has a colorado and it is thirsty for a small truck also. I would saw look for a honda ridgeline if you want 4 door good gas milage and somewhat of a truck bed.

Not sure what toyota you were looking at...probably the "Limited" which runs in the 40k range. I got an SR5 with TRD package. Sticker was 36+k.

Limited package comes with leather, heated seats, upgraded audio, the works...lot of money for a truck. However Ford's Platinum F150 is around 50k.

I wouldnt buy a honda something about the bed being a solid piece to the cab freaks me out. The "trunk" is pretty kick ass though. I would stay away from gm's trucks unless you like buying hub bearings and tie rods.