My R6 is down with piston slap or connecting rod failure...

TinyTim

I have been riding the 1999 R6 for about 5k trouble free miles, and decided it was time to have the valves looked at (there was a some noise and total mileage on the bike is 25,000). So I brought it into the Pony, got valves checked, then had the cam chain replaced (the actual source of the noise), and had some stainless steel brake lines put on while it was in. I pay about $750 for parts and labor.

Thursday night (150 miles later) I think I hear a little noise coming from the engine as I put it away at the end of a ride. Friday morning I start the engine and hear a terrible rattling noise. Sounds like someone is shaking a box of rocks. I am thinking the cam chain tensioner must have fallen off or broken (it sounded like excessive cam chain noise) so I call the Pony. They are great - they offer to pick the bike up and that night cmoosego shows up with the Pony trailer.

Saturday I get a message to call the service department. I call back and get cmoosego on the phone, and he asks me if I am sitting down. I then find out that the noise is not from the top end, as that checked out fine, but is probably coming from the piston or connecting rods.

At this point I am already into it about $3500 (maybe more, I don't really want to do the math). I am now looking at $1000 more in repairs. I am having trouble justifying putting that much into an old machine, and am leaning towards unloading it at a substantial loss.

My question to you guys - what would you do? Would you fork over another grand or would you try to get a bit less than twice that out of selling it?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 99 R6 isnt worth it. Part it out completly on Ebay and you wont take a loss. Tear it all the way down and list each part seperate you'll get more than 3000 . All bikes are worth more in parts unless brand new heck it's even close on new ones. Thats how I always sell mine and always get far more than book value and a faster sale, you're looking at a 7 day auction and done as opposed to several weeks of answering stupid questions and haveing stangers over to your house for test rides.

Yamaha of Columbus is not interested in a non-running trade in (already talked to the sales guy).

I think I wil sell it, I don't want to rip apart a mostly functional machine. I put it on craigslist already, are there other avenues you guys would recommend?

I think I wil sell it, I don't want to rip apart a mostly functional machine. I put it on craigslist already, are there other avenues you guys would recommend?

You're kidding right who cares if its functional you'll get atleast 3 times your asking price by parting it and I dont even know what your asking price is..... Thats a replacement bike with cash left over :confused:

Edited by MidgetTodd

If you know you can get so much parting it out, why not make me an offer?

I am a sentimental sap.

Even if I manage to get 2k out of it (which I doubt I will), then someone else will get a nice machine for a bit less than retail. I want to see it back one the road again.

I'd probably keep it as a bike to play with. I would use it for a learning tool so I could build engines and replace my own engine parts. I'd tear it down to nothing and put it back together 1, 2, or 3 times and learn, learn, learn. Can make you great money on the side in future or turn into a business with the skills you can obtain. I wish I had a bike to rip into. :(

If you know you can get so much parting it out, why not make me an offer?

I am a sentimental sap.

Even if I manage to get 2k out of it (which I doubt I will), then someone else will get a nice machine for a bit less than retail. I want to see it back one the road again.

If I had the cash I would, but unfortunately I'm broke right now otherwise yes I'd throw you 1500 and have 3500 or better in my paypal acount from ebay in about 10 days.

If I had the cash I would, but unfortunately I'm broke right now otherwise yes I'd throw you 1500 and have 3500 or better in my paypal acount from ebay in about 10 days.

If I had the cash, I'd buy it and fix it myself, then ride the piss out of it. Being broke sux....

Parted out my Aprilia when the motor seized after dumping all the oil into the bellypan. (My own fault- sheared the oil filter cover bolt overtightening it. I haz a dum...)

So far I have made about $4,200 out of a non working bike. I still have the frame with title too..:)

I understand that I can get more for parting it out, but I hate to think of it in pieces. Seems like there is some interest in a project bike - how much would you think is reasonable to ask?

sorry it wasn't better news man... but I think todd is right... parting it out would be the best way for you to come out ahead and put your "baby" back out there... I know there are a few here that would help you with the tear down... me included...

you certainly will make the money parting it out, and if your planning on getting another bike, thatd be the way to make the best out of a bad situation. If your that emotionally attached, id just get a doner engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-02-Yamaha-YzfR6-R6-ENGINE-MOTOR-MINI-SPRINT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335cac6a35QQitemZ220598135349QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Parted out my Aprilia when the motor seized after dumping all the oil into the bellypan. (My own fault- sheared the oil filter cover bolt overtightening it. I haz a dum...)

So far I have made about $4,200 out of a non working bike. I still have the frame with title too..:)

And that frame and title will pull another 1500

I have saw that engine earlier, when you add in shipping and the price jump as bidding continues I am still looking at $1000 or so. I am not in the best position to drop that much into the bike now.

Thanks for all the input- it seems like my best option is to part it out, but I think I might give it a few weeks to see if it sells for more than a reasonable price. And if a nicely priced motor pops up (and my bank account has recovered) before then, I might keep it.

I have saw that engine earlier, when you add in shipping and the price jump as bidding continues I am still looking at $1000 or so. I am not in the best position to drop that much into the bike now.

Thanks for all the input- it seems like my best option is to part it out, but I think I might give it a few weeks to see if it sells for more than a reasonable price. And if a nicely priced motor pops up (and my bank account has recovered) before then, I might keep it.

Have you decided a price for it? If you've posted it, I've missed it.