05-06 ZX6-R(R) guys, need some help.

JaSSon

I got caught in the rain last night on my way home. My night ended badly.

Damage seems to be limited to the nose fairing, the left side fairing, left side engine cover, and the shifter broke off the rear set. That's my real concern; the shifter. I can't get the bike in neutral. It appears that I can shift through the gears, but with some difficulty. I'm worried I might have bent a shift fork or something.

If the trans is messed up, I'm turning it into my insurance. If not I'll prob just fix it myself. Is someone willing to let me bolt their rear set up to my bike and see if I can click through the gears alright?

I'd really like to get this done today, so I can turn it into my insurance quickly if necessary.

Thanks,

Jason

Edit: What do you think insurance would do if I turned it in? The front end did feel a little..soft on the ride home, but that could have been my nerves after a few cartwheels.

Edited by JaSSon

they will total it, new OEM fairings will easily exceed the cost of your bike.

You can find a new painted set for $750.

OEM leftside rear set is about $80ish.

Hope your forks not bent and everything else is straight...most of all glad to hear your safe and still posting.

If you were closer Id do it, but im out of touch for about a week or so.

At the moment I'm leaning towards turning it over to insurance. I've been paying them for years and I have accident forgiveness, so my rates shouldn't go up. Plus, I think they'll replace my gear.

What is the typical buyback amount for a motorcycle if they do total it out?

And thanks for the concern, I'm alright. I just have a bruise on my left arm and some lite road rash (Thru my leather jacket!?)

You can find a new painted set for $750.

OEM leftside rear set is about $80ish.

I found some Chinese ABS fairings on flea-bay for ~$575 shipped. They're available with various paint schemes... no Pearl Magma Red parts. And who knows if the Chinese fairings will even fit. So... I called ASK to get an idea of that I'd be looking at for new OEM: Upper fairing:$532, mid fairing:$216, Head light (the housing is cracked somehow! wtf, right?)$510, Shifter parts: $150. Doesn't even include any of the less important stuff (left frame fairing, engine cover, any little shit I missed).

Sigh. ...I guess I could always plastic weld the fairings and have them painted.

what it comes down to:

is the resale value hit on a rebuilt title going to be worth more to you than taking this entire hit out of pocket? no use spending 2 grand to fix it up because youre worried about losing 2 grand retail value when you go to sell...how long do you plan to keep it? lets say you sell it in 2016, its 10yrs old...its a 2500-3k bike by that time, 2k with rebuilt title, you lose about a grand but already went outta pocket 2k to fix it...

if you plan to sell it within the next couple years, you need to sit down and look at what these are selling for rebuilt and clean and compare the differences

all that is assuming that the transmission isnt fucked up, if the trans is fucked up like you first thought it may be, then ide say let insurance total it out and get you something else

in my honest opinion....if it were my bike, and i didnt have any kind of sentimental attachment to it, i would let insurance total it out, then ide buy it back if the price was right and flip it for a profit wrecked to someone who wants to make a track bike out of it, and take the money from wrecked ninja and add it with leftover from insurance and get you a nice clean titled bike

in my honest opinion....if it were my bike, and i didnt have any kind of sentimental attachment to it, i would let insurance total it out, then ide buy it back if the price was right and flip it for a profit wrecked to someone who wants to make a track bike out of it, and take the money from wrecked ninja and add it with leftover from insurance and get you a nice clean titled bike

That's more or less my plan, + more than likely some parting out. I'll call my agent tomorrow and figure something out.

I would just be patient. Shits always showing up on kawiforums for a third the cost of what it is new. Many people have used the Chinese fairings with no probs. If you're not a member if kawiforums then join.

Let insurance claim it, buy it back, fix it, ride it and use the rest of the money for a new bike that you want that's more upright.

sv650 would be perfect for what you were looking for. You can get one dirt cheap with the money you have left over from buying your bike back.

fuck fairings. throw some dirty bars on it and streetfighter that bitch.
Gay.

Just got off the phone with my insurance guy. He seems to think that with ~$1.5k-$2k in damage (mostly plastics) they'll repair it, but it's up to the adjuster.

And apparently there is no such thing as accident forgiveness on a motorcycle. :(

I plastic welded my plastics on mine and used some 3m filler to make it smooth and painted front fairing and the entire right side of the bike.

Simpson Cycles.com is your friend.

I bought both rearsets from them.

And also the 07-08 rearsets fit they are just black so you will have to rattlecan one to make it match.