Launch methods?

shadyone

I have a 600 and have done track days but would like to take it to the drag strip.. Right now im working on getting the lanyard killswitch. I have everything else needed. Now ive launched hard from a stop light before. but its more using the clutch and easing it out at high RPMs but there has got to be a better way to launch.. So what is it..?

O and i'm not lowering it and i have gone done 1 on the front sprocket..

when i'm hitting it hard from a stop it's just an attempt to get the clutch out as soon as possible without stalling, then I let the engine do it's job. (then again I'm not on a 600 either, so i have no idea how they behave)

I hold about 8000 at the line and probably end up slipping around 10000. You need to find sweet spot combination of rolling on the throttle and letting out the clutch. I know if I got it right or not in about 15 feet. I fail in one of two ways, either too much throttle and overslipping the clutch, or not enough throttle and/or letting the clutch out too quick and bogging it down. The goal is to get to full throttle as soon as possible.

Another note, in between my last two dragstrip visits I cranked the preload up in the rear from 2 to 5 (finally got around to setting sag for the track). My 60ft really suffered since I couldn't keep the front wheel down. I pulled 1.8s last year and this year was in the high 1.9s. My chest was bruised from laying on the tank so hard. Next time I go I'm going to crank that back down, and see what other setup tricks I can find short of lowering and strapping.

A 600 is pretty boring after the first 60ft. I just watch the tach and click gears.

P.S. I doubt a lanyard kill switch is required for your bike at a test and tune...

Edited by brn6604

Unless you have wheelie bars and slicks, I don't know anyone riding a streetbike that would 'dump the clutch' when you launch. Do not recommend (I think jblosser was joking anyway :p)

I've never launched a 600, but 8000rpm would seem about right for a bike with a 15k redline. The 'busa gets launched about 4-5k...

Edited by JRMMiii

thanks guys.. and yes i knew about kilkares rules. and the no go on just dumping the clutch.. lol but i guess ill just have to go out and practice. sounds like i was on the right track already..

Unless you have wheelie bars and slicks, I don't know anyone riding a streetbike that would 'dump the clutch' when you launch. Do not recommend (I think jblosser was joking anyway :p)

I've never launched a 600, but 8000rpm would seem about right for a bike with a 15k redline. The 'busa gets launched about 4-5k...

Yup, kidding, except for leaving on the last yellow. By the time the eyes and brain send out signals and you start engaging the clutch, the green light is lit...

Also keep in mind that the bike will hook up alot better at a treated track then it ever will practicing on a back road. Im not sure if a 600 experiences much wheelspin on the street, but it will be totally different at the track.

Yea, 120 MPH and up they want full leathers ... but if you actually hit 120 on a 600 short wheelbase and the bike all jack up in the air like a dirt bike you're my new god :) Lanyard kill is a standard requirement but they may let it slide on a test and tune night.

Edited by Exit Wounds

hold at 10K at the light. slip the clutch so wheel stays about 2 inches off the ground.

as soon as the clutch is all the way out, bang a clutchless upshift.

Yea, 120 MPH and up they want full leathers ... but if you actually hit 120 on a 600 short wheelbase and the bike all jack up in the air like a dirt bike you're my new god :) Lanyard kill is a standard requirement but they may let it slide on a test and tune night.

I run 128.

You're my new god.

The bike does the 128. I'm not too proud that I'm doing 11.0 at 128. I was with some car guys at MCIR and I saw 600s (lowered and whatnot) doing lower mid 10s at low 120s - what does the 60 and 330 look like on that?

• 8 months later...
Also keep in mind that the bike will hook up alot better at a treated track then it ever will practicing on a back road. Im not sure if a 600 experiences much wheelspin on the street, but it will be totally different at the track.

I still spin pretty hard at the track unless I get some heat in the tire-but thats on the street compound

i'm, of course, talking about road courses. you guys are talking about drag strips, so I tried to veer it towards a non-ghey subject area.

jaaaaaaaaay kaaaaaaaaaaay

i was just brining my very limited perspective of it to the discussion, that's all.