Video Cards: AGP or PCI?

SWing'R

I apparently haven't appeased the computer gods enough lately, first my LCD monitor went out,

then my external HD and I've finally come to the conclusion that my video card is taking a shit as well.

Its highly possible that my video card problem may have led to the monitor failing??

Anyway, the card in use now is the onboard POS, I'm looking to install a new card, I don't squat about them

cause I've never been a gamer therefore never saw the need to upgrade/replace the existing card.

My question is simply which is better, or which should I use, AGP or PCI.

I have both slots available.

I'll check back here around lunchtime and see what the survey says.

I'm planning on a trip to MicroCenter tonight.

Do you play games, other than Freecell or Solitaire, that require any sort of graphics "horsepower"?

If not, buy a $20 card, AGP or PCI, it does not matter.

What leads you to think the on-board graphics (OBG) is failing?

I doubt that the OBG caused your monitor to die. Could have, but I'm 99.9% certain it didn't cause it.

If you decide to ditch the OBG and install a graphics card, you'll need to physically put the card in, but leave the monitor connected to the OBG. When you power up, get into the BIOS, somewhere in there you'll be able to disable the OBG and direct the video to your new card.

I'm available for assistance tonight, if needed.

Edited by jblosser
added more thoughts

For what you do, it don't think it will matter much.

Ya know, this might be the time to buy a new PC. With the video being on-board, it might be the motherbord itself that's dying.

What are the symptoms?

Let me just say I really don't even want to consider changing the motherboard, if it comes down to that I'll just end up buying another pc.

The symptoms... with the old LCD before it stopped working I was getting some noticable deterioration in the quality of text on the screen, like the text was moving or distorting a bit, figured it was the monitor. Then the monitor died. I temporarily used my wifes monitor (the exact same brand/model) until I got a new one, text quality was still iffy while using hers. Got the new monitor, found out that my current video card would not produce the "preferred" resolution of 1336x768 (guessing) or something, all it would do was 1280x768 I think, nevertheless the quality is horrible on a nice brand new monitor at the current resolution and status of the video card.

I don't play any games, so a basic bottom of the barrell card will do me fine, since I have the AGP slot I'm leaning towards using that but not sure, thats why I've asked for input here.

Let me just say I really don't even want to consider changing the motherboard' date=' if it comes down to that I'll just end up buying another pc.

The symptoms... with the old LCD before it stopped working I was getting some noticable deterioration in the quality of text on the screen, like the text was moving or distorting a bit, figured it was the monitor. Then the monitor died. I temporarily used my wifes monitor (the exact same brand/model) until I got a new one, text quality was still iffy while using hers. Got the new monitor, found out that my current video card would not produce the "preferred" resolution of 1336x768 (guessing) or something, all it would do was 1280x768 I think, nevertheless the quality is horrible on a nice brand new monitor at the current resolution and status of the video card.

I don't play any games, so a basic bottom of the barrell card will do me fine, since I have the AGP slot I'm leaning towards using that but not sure, thats why I've asked for input here.[/quote']

Have you tried updating the video drivers? Some older drivers won't support the widescreen resolution that your monitor needs.

Yea, use a cheapo AGP card if for anything else it keeps the PCI slot free in case you want to throw something else in there.

If all you want is a 2D desktop, then this card'll do.

Bingo! Thats exactly what I was thinking, not that I'll ever need it but at least it will be open.

Have you tried updating the video drivers? Some older drivers won't support the widescreen resolution that your monitor needs.

The pc is already a little on the old side (by todays standards) and I think I have the latest drivers for it so I guess I'll try a cheapo basic AGP card.

Bingo! Thats exactly what I was thinking' date=' not that I'll ever need it but at least it will be open.

The pc is already a little on the old side (by todays standards) and I think I have the latest drivers for it so I guess I'll try a cheapo basic AGP card.[/quote']

Check the supported resolution and make sure that it supports the preferred resolution of your new monitor.

If its AGP vs standard PCI then get AGP, better performance and it will be cheaper because more video cards are made for it.

If you have PCI-E you likely don't have AGP so you won't have a choice.

I had been looking for a few months for a 8x AGP card for my old computer I wanted to run linux on. good luck finding one. or finding a decent one.

I got lucky and found a pretty good Nvidia card(the type escapes me right now) which sold for over $140 a few years ago for $29 at Microcenter in Cincinnati.

How much you looking to spend on this little computer repair shin-dig?

It sounds like you have an older computer, and I can certainly understand just keeping what you have alive. However, if you want to upgrade, I bought this for my parents with great results:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.390682

The above combo deal comes with motherboard, RAM, and processor. The processor is OEM in that combo though, so you'd need this too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106135

So thats $155 plus tax and shipping for a new dual core computer, not a bad deal at all. I just recycled their case, CDROM drive, hard drive, and power supply. Not sure if you could reuse your power supply without knowing what it was and what connectors it uses. The motherboard needs a 20+4, and an additional 4-pin connector

Anyhow, it worked out great for them, they love it. Its blazingly faster than their old P4 computer. If that sounds like something you'd want to do I'll help you out with it. Making sure it'll all work together and actually putting it together. I have thermal grease, extra screws and cables that come in handy.

How much you looking to spend on this little computer repair shin-dig?

It sounds like you have an older computer, and I can certainly understand just keeping what you have alive.

Definetly want to stay with what I have at the moment and just fix the problem.

Thinking about this one...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0233708

Check the supported resolution and make sure that it supports the preferred resolution of your new monitor.

Where do I find out the supported resolutions? I looked up the manufacture site for the one I listed above, its listed below here but I don't see resolutions listed...

http://www.arcadefxusa.com/GF5200FX128.php

Well I'm gonna go to MicroCenter tonight and see what they got in stock and ask a bunch of questions

there, I'll take my model number info for my pc with me and have them check my specs and stuff to, I got the

pc there, its a PowerSpec, forget the model at the moment.

There is your problem!!!!

Hey now, I've had a couple PowerSpec's and I've like them all, I don't

need some monster pc to take over the world, just need it to run some pretty basic stuff :)

For the record, this is the one I have...

http://www.powerspec.com/systems/archives/system_archive.phtml?selection=6342&submit.x=23&submit.y=10

I've upgraded the ram and added a floppy and second dvd drive, and I think its on its second hd.

Hey now' date=' I've had a couple PowerSpec's and I've like them all, I don't

need some monster pc to take over the world, just need it to run some pretty basic stuff :)

For the record, this is the one I have...

[url']http://www.powerspec.com/systems/archives/system_archive.phtml?selection=6342&submit.x=23&submit.y=10

I've upgraded the ram and added a floppy and second dvd drive, and I think its on its second hd.

No it has nothing to do with power or how big it is. It has to do with them using off brand parts of less quality.

I will admit I a bit of a snob. I have built all my PCs since 89

Just got back from dinner and a trip to MicroCenter, picked up a e-GeForce FX5200 AGP for $45 with a mail rebate to bring it to $39.99

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0291885

Gonna go see about installin it. BTW, I also picked up a Hitachi 1TB External HD for only $79!

I love that store almost as much as Iron Pony! Actually I think I like the both the same :p

too bad you couldn't find this one. I think this is the one I got at the microcenter here in cincy.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0259587

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce6_techspecs.html

it's a little bit better and less expensive.

they guy at the store said it was the best one they had on the shelf at the moment for the older systems.

Edited by serpentracer

New card is installed and works like a champ! Was easier to install than I thought,

didn't have to do anything except plug it in and install the drivers.

Picture resolution is now set @ 1330x768 and is crystal clear! I'm very happy :fruit: