Weight...

alab32

I have about 12 pounds to lose and it's definitely not easy. I'm just trying to keep track of my calories because little snacks and bites of this or that can really add up. I go old school and try to follow the food pyramid. I hate demonizing food groups...

I've been mixing up my workout routines and cardio is the hardest for me to go do but I know I have to if I want to lose fat. I'm a firm believer in interval training so I usually do intervals on an elliptical because it doesn't hurt my knees.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to start taking snacks to work. I don't eat all day and then chow from the minute I get home. Wife gets tired of walking back and forth to the kitchen, making me sandwiches.

Really? So if your wife quits bringing you stuff, I guess you will lose the weight!!! So the real problem is your wife catering to you!!!

I'm calling BS on the eating smaller meals more often... theoretically, yeah its great, boosts your metabolism, blah blah blah, but my gosh it makes me REALLY hungry, and god forbid i actually miss one of those small meals, my stomach goes crazy! I'll keep with my bagel and coffee for lunch and big dinner routine. :p

Is that what I have to do to look like you??? :rolleyes:

First, sometimes when you feel hungry you are really thirsty. Your body may be craving water and not able to communicate it well sometimes. If you're in between meals/snacks or your snack meal isn't killing the hunger feelings, drink water.

Second, put down the donuts.

+1 iv been doing this and running alot... i dropped 35lbs in 2 1/2 months. Just get up and move, once you start you feel better about yourself. You also make better decisions about the type of food you put in your body. Its all in how much will power you have.

First, sometimes when you feel hungry you are really thirsty. Your body may be craving water and not able to communicate it well sometimes. If you're in between meals/snacks or your snack meal isn't killing the hunger feelings, drink water.

Second, put down the donuts.

i was quoting this :D

Don't forget normally after 30 your metabolism starts going down south too so you have to work harder if you don't like it.

That's been shown not to be true at all. Your metabolism isn't slowing because of age, it's slowing because you are just doing less. People tend to become less active as they get older and the lack of activity is slowing your metabolism not age its self.

That's been shown not to be true at all. Your metabolism isn't slowing because of age, it's slowing because you are just doing less. People tend to become less active as they get older and the lack of activity is slowing your metabolism not age its self.

No, I disagree. If that was the case nothing in our body would age and slow down. I don't agree. Being active helps alot, but just like when you were younger you can be a pig and not gain a pound when you haven't been active in awhile. It changes, just like everything else in your body does. That polyp in you that was found, that case of shingles you developed, that knee that went bad on you, etc..., the body changes with age. Everyones metabolic rate and thyroid is different. Many have to battle their whole life and excercise hardcore, and some just barely have to do anything. It's all genetics mostly.

No, I disagree. If that was the case nothing in our body would age and slow down. I don't agree. Being active helps alot, but just like when you were younger you can be a pig and not gain a pound when you haven't been active in awhile. It changes, just like everything else in your body does. That polyp in you that was found, that case of shingles you developed, that knee that went bad on you, etc. Everyones metabolic rate and thyroid is different. Many have to battle their whole life and excercise hardcore, and some just barely have to do anything. It's all genetics mostly.

Ummm no.

But yeah, I'll agree that I disagree with you. I think the argument is dumb to have. I need to stop participating in threads that have real topics. Everyone has their own opinion and it's the only way.:lol:

Well the problem is that it's not an opinion question that you've formed an incorrect opinion on. :D

Ummmm, yes. The body changes with age. :p Prove me wrong and never get old or develop any problems. You will be one of the rare few.:p

I never said it doesn't. I was merely addressing your incorrect metabolism over 30 opinion. The body breaks down with age but not until much later. Bump that number up by 20 years or so and you'll be closer to correct.

^^^ That's cute. e-hugs.

I'll tell ya what. The best "diets" that I have had so far were kidney stones (10lbs) and a trip to Honduras (5 lbs in one week and an additional 3 in the month after I returned!! I know its unhealthy).

I need a pill that dulls my tastebuds so I have no incentive to eat anymore other than for fuel

Thats exactly what smoking does. Thats why people gain weight when they quit smoking, because food suddenly taste awhole lot better.

Taking up smoking is a great way to lose weight, of course it will also kill you :dunno:

Edited by SWing'R

I am trying the "eat whatever I want" and exercise a lot, we will see how that pans out... I don't want to give up my food

I dont want to give mine up either... but i think it will be a must.

I need a pill that dulls my tastebuds so I have no incentive to eat anymore other than for fuel

One of you fart smuckers on here, invent that for me please

No joke, you would think someone would have some up with something like that by now.

Thats exactly what smoking does. Thats why people gain weight when they quit smoking' date=' because food suddenly taste awhole lot better.

Taking up smoking is a great way to lose weight, of course it will also kill you :dunno:[/quote']

I have never smoked and I dont drink. Things taste WONDERFUL to me! :D Horrible for my wasteline though....

Thats exactly what smoking does. Thats why people gain weight when they quit smoking' date=' because food suddenly taste awhole lot better.

Taking up smoking is a great way to lose weight, of course it will also kill you :dunno:[/quote']

Interesting.... Never knew that. Makes me wonder though why smokers always want to light one up right after a meal??

The "textbook" answer is to NOT skip meals' date=' but actually increase you eating.

Small healthy snacks between meals keeps the metabolism working which in turn burns calories.[/quote']

For some people yes, for everyone no. Increasing your caloric intake would be generally stupid. Spreading it out will work for some. Not eating late at night will work for everyone. Not eating a large evening meal if you aren't expending any energy in the evening will work for everyone. Eat what you can use, or it turns to fat and is stored.

Expending energy through work or exercise will promote caloric conversion far more than sitting around eating little snacks.

Oh and hey, something I've found works for me, If I increase my muscle mass ratio (density), I suddenly don't want to eat near as much. Funny how that works. When I was getting a conversion to muscle going, I actually got slimmer while gaining a little weight. Muscle is denser.

I'm calling BS on the eating smaller meals more often... theoretically, yeah its great, boosts your metabolism, blah blah blah, but my gosh it makes me REALLY hungry, and god forbid i actually miss one of those small meals, my stomach goes crazy! I'll keep with my bagel and coffee for lunch and big dinner routine. :p
Is that what I have to do to look like you??? :rolleyes:

I think you'll have to stay up late at night like MJ does, to burn the evening meal off. I can get away with a large evening meal, but my activity level during the day is high. It's a balancing act for most of us. Dinner for me in the Summer time might be just a bowl of oatmeal or fruit. I gain a little over the Winter and lose it all in the Summer. Dang it, going to go weigh myself... 180, but that dropped to 172 when I emptied my pockets and took the boots off. I'll drop to around 160 by mid Summer. Not bad for 5'9".

I never said it doesn't. I was merely addressing your incorrect metabolism over 30 opinion. The body breaks down with age but not until much later. Bump that number up by 20 years or so and you'll be closer to correct.

im 50 and i am definitly breaking down :( (2 cycle crashes and a bad car crash in a 3 year period didnt help)