Chicago cop killed for his bike

cmh_sprint

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-cop-shot-may19,0,3635305.story

CHICAGO - An off-duty Chicago police officer described as "an example to his community" was shot and killed in an apparent robbery outside his parents' home Wednesday night. He's been identified as 30-year-old Thomas Wortham IV.

Wortham's father came to his son's aid exchanging gunfire with the suspects, killing one and injuring another. A third suspect who remains at large fled in a Nissan Maxima but police said they later found it abandoned at an undisclosed location. Reportedly there may be a fourth suspect who remains at large.

Police said the robbery happened around 11:30 p.m. when three men approached the officer in their vehicle and tried to steal the officer's new motorcycle. The robbery which quickly turned to gunfire, happened near 84th Street and Martin Luther King Drive in the Chatham neighborhood.

Police said the 30-year-old officer was a three-year veteran of the force working out of the Englewood District on West 63rd Street. The media has been requested to withhold the officer's name until all his relatives have been notified.

The dead suspect has been identified as 20-year old Brian Floyd. The wounded suspect is in unknown condition at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

Alderman Freddreena Lyle of the 6th Ward said she was very familiar with Wortham and his family. She said the officer had just finished his second tour of duty in Iraq. She also said he was president of the Cole Park Advisory Council, a group concerned with maintaining safety at Nat King Cole Park located at 85th Street and South King Drive. She said the officer was heading efforts to get residents to "take back the park" by planting their lawn chairs there this Saturday. Lyle spoke about the slain officer.

"He was someone we held up as an example of a young person who came back to his community. He was willing to work to better it. He was there all the time. This is a tremendous loss," she said. "We were going to have an event this Saturday to take the park from the thugs after a shooting happened there a month ago. I don't think we'll have it now."

Lyle had just returned from the Christ Hospital where Police Superintendent Jody Weis had announced the officer's passing. She said she talked with the officer's family there.

"It has been very difficult for the mother and the father. He witnessed it, so it's especially difficult. It's just tragic."

A source said, "It appears at this time the city will give the off-duty officer full honors in handling his death."

Fucking savages. I feel for the family. At least dad was able to exact some revenge for this.

I thought guns were banned in Chicago? :dunno:

Prayers go out the officer's family.

All gun laws do is disarm the law abiding citizen. A criminal could give a rats ass about fucking gun control.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-cop-shot-may19,0,3635305.story

" An off-duty Chicago police officer described as "an example to his community" was shot and killed in an apparent robbery outside his parents' home Wednesday night. He's been identified as 30-year-old Thomas Wortham IV."

"The media has been requested to withhold the officer's name until all his relatives have been notified."

I hate the media...

Sad. RIP

Good job for the dad taking one of them out.

Unfortunate that we have to pay the bills for loser #2's hospital stay. I say if you're injured as the result of criminal activity, you're on your own.

I hope everyone of them gets the worst of the worst cell mates in prison and they do things we can't even discuss on here. Something like that just goes to show what this world is turning in to.

Prayers go out to his family and friends.

Pathetic.