Norwalk (Summit Motorsports Park) - Wednesday Night Racing 2010

Disclaimer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
A POUND of ice cream for $1. I know that's right up your alley Bad.

Also, the track is another good place to find a bunch of posers, instead of just Bike nights :D:p

probably the only way my ass is getting to Norwalk is if I break down and buy a Firehawk or Vette

i can't make it to these, but feel free to post up some helpful launching tips. my race starts are awful (and everything else, but i know how to work on the other stuff)

it's probably something i'd have to ask people who take their 03-04 600rr's to the strip, but i was more going for what rpm's to hold for the launch, and how slowly you have to release the clutch to not loop the thing. in this case, i feel at a disadvantage that i've never done an intentional wheelie, and definitely never one from a stand still.... i just don't know what the expect.

I dunno about the 600s. I keep the busa about 4000-4500, just below the threshold where the power really kicks in, and high enough to get the bike rolling w/o bogging at the rate I normally release the clutch.

Then roll on the throttle at launch while I let off the clutch at a rate you can only gauge being on the bike. It's practice, I know what it feels like if I'm too quick releasing the clutch--

*it'll bog because I didn't have enough throttle and let the RPMs drop

*it'll spin the tire because I didn't put enough heat in it or picked a bad launch spot on the track, or

*it'll snap up into a wheelie, instead of just carrying the tire like a plane taking off and landing again which is what a good launch will feel like on the busa.

The only way you figure out what a good launch is, is by checking your 60' times and remembering how it felt. If you're too slow releasing the clutch lever, you'll take off, it'll just be slow and affect your 60' time.

On your 600... I'm guessing you'll probably want to start the launch in the 6500-7000 RPM range and start tweaking from there. But, I've never been on a 600, so I don't know where the engine feels the happiest... it's usually a little less than half the redline as my rule of thumb. Assuming it's not a drag bike with a 2step / RPM chip and extended wheelbase/wheelie bars. Those are different animals.

it's probably something i'd have to ask people who take their 03-04 600rr's to the strip, but i was more going for what rpm's to hold for the launch, and how slowly you have to release the clutch to not loop the thing. in this case, i feel at a disadvantage that i've never done an intentional wheelie, and definitely never one from a stand still.... i just don't know what the expect.

I'm as new at this as you are, but Ricky Gadsen says to rev the bike to max torque, not max hp.

I don't know what that is on our bikes, but I have good luck with ~9,000 RPM.

Additionally, a great start is less important to me than not destroying my clutch prematurely, so that's something to keep in mind too.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying out the drag strip a few times this summer though if you want to meet up there and go head-to-head. Same bike and relatively same (road racing) setup mean we shoudl be comparable.

I'm as new at this as you are, but Ricky Gadsen says to rev the bike to max torque, not max hp.

I don't know what that is on our bikes, but I have good luck with ~9,000 RPM.

Additionally, a great start is less important to me than not destroying my clutch prematurely, so that's something to keep in mind too.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying out the drag strip a few times this summer though if you want to meet up there and go head-to-head. Same bike and relatively same (road racing) setup mean we shoudl be comparable.

you're leaving out one important factor: the tenderness of the rider's vagina. mine is kobe beef level tender.

lol but it sounds like fun. i'm a bit far from most drag strips i know of, but might be worth a try one of these days.

i'm with you, though... i'm more worried about keeping the cbr in service than getting the holeshot. i'm trying to keep this bastard running for maybe one more year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJhjUWpFoTU&feature=player_embedded

Figured I'd share just in case someone was interested in furthering Harley stereotypes this morning. Yes, this happened last night.

This is why you don't drink and ride. I watched this guy fall over on his bike in the staging lanes, unfortunately a kid on a gsxr broke his fall and busted his front fairings up, then the guy tries to make a pass down the drag strip. I was about three passes before this so didnt get to see it live. Being on a Harley, I guess the racetrack was just a stop in between barhopping.