trying to sell, but no title

jri4

Hi everyone! I thought this would be a good forum to ask since it is mainly Ohio riders who visit.

A guy at my father's work was going to scrap a 1981 Yamaha XS650 Special II--he had bought a newer bike. I wanted to learn how to ride, so I paid him what it was worth in scrap (gave him about $100). He never gave me the title or anything with it, and won't bother to do it either.

After looking at the bike, there isn't a lot wrong with it at all. I learned how to ride, but want to move on to bigger and better things. It could easily be sold and definitely ridden legally on the street with a few minor repairs (needs a new rotor in the stator asssembly--that's the biggest issue, a few other minor cosmetic things).

I want to put it up on craigslist and such, but I don't have the title for it. Do you guys think I can still sell it, or is it going to be impossible to find a buyer for this bike without a title? Is there a way to obtain a title for it?

The bike is worth more than what I paid, but at the same time I am looking to give someone else a deal--but I want them to be able to ride and enjoy it on the road. Thanks for any help!

i'm not sure on the legality of this suggestion and someone else may be able to chime in but if you want to sell it whole I would just sell it stating its a parts bike only and does not come with a title. The only issue I think would be in regards to people believing if it is or isn't actually stolen

Tear it down and sell the parts on ebay very few items on ebay for that bike I'm sure there are people out there needing parts and you'd make a lot more than you would selling bike with no title.

+1 part it or sell it as is for parts.

There is really no sure fire to have a new title issued. You can try for a court ordered title, but the process is slow and there is no guarantee.