Boat help!

gixxie750

We my boat has been sitting almost 3 years now. I fail so bad with my boat do to riding all summer. Well i knew it needed a impeller and decided to get to work. Went to get the model # and saw this. Is this a major problem? I'm hoping it was just rain water trapped in there and froze and cracked. Let me know if u know whats inside this part.

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

I believe your drive gears & gear lube are contained in there. I wouldn't call it a minor problem, but I definitely wouldn't put it in the water with that crack in the lower unit. With any luck you can just replace the housing and refill with gear lube, but you won't know that until you open her up.

I believe your drive gears & gear lube are contained in there. I wouldn't call it a minor problem, but I definitely wouldn't put it in the water with that crack in the lower unit. With any luck you can just replace the housing and refill with gear lube, but you won't know that until you open her up.

Yeah, what he said. You definitley don't want to let that go....you will end up with water in the lower unit.

I agree with pulling the lower unit. Probably drain the gear oil first and see what that looks like(i.e. Milkshake no good). Not to familiar with volvo but on a mercury the drain bolt is behind the propeller. If the internals were fine not sure if a skilled welder could repair that or not.

it has to come apart soon anyway. I am hoping this part is just an outer piece and doesnt lead to the internals. I dont see a seal/gasket on the edge there so i think its not meant to be sealed. I deff hope it can be welded.

You cracked the lower unit housing. If it was from freezing I'm sure you have other internal damage. Depending on how bad it could be 400-4000

for a pena lower unit/drive. What's the model and gear ratio. If you were closer is get you hooked up . Taken it in, i wouldnt try to start it up

yet before it gets looked at.

personally IMO it matters. I have limited knowledge on boats but from what I do have is always fix the little things to avoid further more expensive pains in the ass down the road. It may just be a small crack in the case now but could end up needing entirely new internals down the road

looks to be a cast alum?? Its at least 1/8" thick. Was thinking of drilling a hole where the crack ends so it cant spread anymore. Then get a plate of alum and rivet it over the crack? It can be welded i think,but I'm not sure it really has any weight on it. I think its just there to round off the outside to make it smooth.

gixxie what bad said is correct. if that crack spreads your fucked. the water will mix with the lower unit oil and cause further internal damage. id tig weld it up so theres no problems. make sure its 200% clean before hand, and you get good pentration or you could be buying a new lower unit down the road.