Bug out bag, survival kit

chevysoldier

Anyone here put one together? I have one set up but am currently in the process of tweaking it and getting one set up for my wife and kid. Before someone posts up "fear" or "get your tin foil hat ready" this is a good idea not only for zombie attacks but for natural disasters. Tornadoes, flood, fire, etc are always a real threat. Having one of these quickly accessible will increase your chances of survival, getting to safety easier and less hectic.

Doing a quick google search will give you many pages of what to have. These are usually the main components. Mine consists of basically the same thing. A lot of it is military issue stuff. Does anyone have anything to add?

A Bug out bag is basically a big survival kit that contains all of the items you would require to survive after a disaster. A Bug Out Bag allows you to grab what you need quickly and evacuate should a disaster happen.

Most experts suggest that your BOB should contain enough supplies to last for at least seventy two hours. Since most major disasters can disrupt services and normal life for longer than 72 hours, we think it is a good idea to have a Bag that will allow you survive for an indefinite period of time.

Make sure your Bag is built to fit your needs. Some people may need items that are not listed on this list. Remember that this is a guideline meant to help you get your bag together. When putting your bag together take into consideration any special needs or items that you or your family might need.

This will depend on a number of factors, such as the area you live in (climate, elevation, etc….) But the basics are as follows:

A disaster plan

that includes the location of emergency areas, rallying points, multiple evacuation routes, maps of the area, trail maps, etc (make sure you use a water proof laminate to protect your plans).

First Aid Kit

Professional Survival Book

This should be studied before hand and kept for reference during a disaster. Recommended books are:

SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea

When All Hell Breaks Loose

US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76

Water bottles and metal canteen cup

Clothing

Socks, gloves, rain suit, poncho, jacket, hat, bandannas, and clothing for your environment

A few assorted knives, fixed and folding

Camp Axe & Shovel

Flashlights

Radio A must to keep up on what is going on.

Fire Starting

Waterproof Matches, a couple Lighters, Tinder and one of the following:

Ultimate Survival Technologies BlastMatch All Weather Firestarter (orange)

Brunton Striker Magnesium Fire Starter (Silver/Black)

MultiTool

Cordage

(wide variety of uses, traps, etc….) *550 Paracord

CASH & Documents

have some extra cash in your bag, as well as a copy of all your important documents (SS Card, I.D., Fishing hunting License, Gun License, etc…)

Firearm(s) and ammunition.

WATER

a liter per day per person (enough to get you by until you find a clean source of water)

Water Purifiers & Filters: (Any one below would be a good choice)

MulitVitamins Keep your strength up as your diet changes

Extra Medicine

*If needed because of preexisting condition

Navigation

Compass, Maps, GPS, etc….

Communication

Portable C.B or Ham Radio

Fishing Gear

Bobbers Hooks, fishing line, small collapsible pole

Emergency Food-Stuff that will last and give you the most bang for your buck ( peanut butter, jerky, sardines, granola bars, salt, dried fruit, MRE’s, etc…)

Shelter

Sleeping bag, tent, tarp, etc….

Extra Batteries

Signal Devices

Flares, Signaling Mirror, Whistle

Duct tape

Misc

Candles, Safety Pins, sewing needles and thread, Playing Cards for entertainment, Wire for snaring.

Phone numbers, addresses

Edited by chevysoldier

Story time... one of my friends got his parents gas masks. And they were basically confused as to why he would do that. They lived over by Dayton, between the I-70 freeway and the East-West railroad tracks. In one months time, there were 3 industrial accidents, that caused major chemical spills and evacuations in their area. They called back and said come over and show us how to use these gas masks...

Bug out bags shouldn't be any heavier than what can be carried in a decent march out of trouble. Worst case is on foot. Opinions vary a lot, but you know it's going to be food, water, air, and shelter, for minimum survival.

When people go hiking, I try to convince them to have a mini bug out. What you carry on a web belt, should also allow you to survive, if you have to drop your backpack and run. That's what you do if you're unlucky, and a bear chases you. The bear will stop and check out the pack. Hopefully...

There's lots of lists on the internet, but you can imagine the basics. You have to decide how long the "bug out" will last. 3 days to 2 weeks is practical. It's a whole new world if it goes beyond that.

<deleted list> dang it, you changed your post

I'll look the list over...

edit: there's way too much stuff on that list. You'd be dropping it on the way.

It really has to be a minimum amount of stuff.

this should all go on individual backpacks

web belts should be separate and still allow survival

Combat loads are very similar. Except there's no radio.

I'm sure I'd think of more if I started looking around on the internet.

Edited by ReconRat

Get some books from the library on edible plants in Ohio.

People can survive on plants quite well, as long as it isn't Winter.

Pick one of the books that you like and buy a copy.

If it's Winter, you'll learn to hunt small animals while hungry.

Edited by ReconRat

I dont plan on leaving my hilltop hideout. My house is isolated with a clean line of site in all directions for a long ways. I'll just stay here drinkin beer while the wife and daughter pick off the zombies.

That's a good plan as long as the zombies don't overtake you and you are forced to leave.

Story time... one of my friends got his parents gas masks. And they were basically confused as to why he would do that. They lived over by Dayton, between the I-70 freeway and the East-West railroad tracks. In one months time, there were 3 industrial accidents, that caused major chemical spills and evacuations in their area. They called back and said come over and show us how to use these gas masks...

Bug out bags shouldn't be any heavier than what can be carried in a decent march out of trouble. Worst case is on foot. Opinions vary a lot, but you know it's going to be food, water, air, and shelter, for minimum survival.

When people go hiking, I try to convince them to have a mini bug out. What you carry on a web belt, should also allow you to survive, if you have to drop your backpack and run. That's what you do if you're unlucky, and a bear chases you. The bear will stop and check out the pack. Hopefully...

There's lots of lists on the internet, but you can imagine the basics. You have to decide how long the "bug out" will last. 3 days to 2 weeks is practical. It's a whole new world if it goes beyond that.

<deleted list> dang it, you changed your post

I'll look the list over...

this should all go on individual backpacks

web belts should be separate and still allow survival

Combat loads are very similar. Except there's no radio.

I'm sure I'd think of more if I started looking around on the internet.

Never thought about the mini BOB until I just read about the concept. I currently have a backpack I am working on but have a foot locker with bigger, extended survival item should I have the time and capability of deploying it. Personally a bag designed for someone to last 72 hrs will last me a week at least. The big thing I am needing to get is MREs. Most everything else is taken care of. There is always room for improvement.

I know that list is kind of extensive but I just found it online as a reference for others new to the concept. Personal preferences will vary.

this B.O.B sounds exactly like the corner of my mom's basement, shes the paranoid type but I love it because I don't have to be. Its a 5 min drive and I have a 4WD truck to get there if I need a "bunker"

Having copious amounts of ammo is enough for me...all I need is a few more guns :)

You know, I've frequently said there's no reason... but I think I'm going to create one for the hell of it.

Will be a fun exercise in paranoia nonetheless.

all the cool kids are doing it.

Fire, water, knife, warmth, gun(s), ammo. I think that would be the minimum. Maybe I need to consider one of those camp purifiers for water.

Boiling is better. Once is hits a rapid boil, let it cool, it's ready to drink.

dont forget the ultimate barter item :rolleyes:

1268_small.jpg

lol. The pic didn't come up right away and I thought you meant tobacco, alcohol or gold/silver.

I put together a pretty big kit after 9-11

Included things like platic sheeting & duct tape, like HLS kept recommending, lighters, TP, canned tuna, kerosene lamps, crank radio, tons of batteries, peroxide, bandaids, gauze, tape & other first aid supplies, surgical masks, etc, & stockpiled water by refilling old milk jugs

Couple questions I'm betting Tom knows the answers to.....

How long is kerosene "good" for?

How long will water "keep" for.... i.e like I said, refilling milk jugs with city tap water?

That's a good plan as long as the zombies don't overtake you and you are forced to leave.

You have not attended any of the big shoots I've had here yet.;)

It'd take alot of zombies with alot of ammo. I could make Waco look like a paintball match.

How long will water "keep" for.... i.e like I said, refilling milk jugs with city tap water?

Just keep a small jug of bleach handy, if you cannot boil. A couple drops per quart and about 30 minutes will take care of any bacteria. Shaking it in a closed container will re-aerate it.

...And remember, you have 40 gallons (or not, depending on yours) of good water in your water heater, plus whatever is in the back of your toilet.

Image comes to mind of ChevySoldier humping through the woods with a 40 gallon water heater strapped to his back...

You still have two or more levels of bug out to deal with. Is it bug out to a public shelter in less than three days? Or is it end of the world, head for the hills and survive on nature forever. Plan for the three day, it's the most likely to happen. Have plans to forage for the rest if necessary.

Ammo (and weapons) can be buried outdoors in ammo cans or sealed plastic pipe and recovered later when you need more.You can keep the firing pins or seers with you, not with the weapon. Kerosene, like diesel fuel, is lightly refined and has an approximately 5-to-10 year shelf life if stored properly. Water is good till it goes bad. (you could always boil it.) It's possible for bugs/bacteria to overwhelm the basic chlorine in water from the tap. But it's usually good when sealed. Once it's opened, use it up. Almost all advice from everywhere, is no more than a five year shelf life for everything. Replace it with new every five years.

Learn how to recognize edible plants. Learn how to make a bow and arrows.

Honestly, the biggest threat to survival right now, is a collapse of the food supply system we all take for granted. If the economy ever really failed, we probably wouldn't see food in the groceries for a few weeks. A supply of canned food in the house is a very good idea. I keep enough for 30 days, not fancy, just enough to survive.

Honestly, the biggest threat to survival right now, is a collapse of the food supply system we all take for granted. If the economy ever really failed, we probably wouldn't see food in the groceries for a few weeks. A supply of canned food in the house is a very good idea. I keep enough for 30 days, not fancy, just enough to survive.

I figure if we immediately begin to steal from looters, we should have plenty for a while.

Image comes to mind of ChevySoldier humping through the woods with a 40 gallon water heater strapped to his back...

That isn't too bad. Although after the first 10 miles it starts to get a little heavy.

That is the biggest thing I need to take care of.

Just keep a small jug of bleach handy, if you cannot boil. A couple drops per quart and about 30 minutes will take care of any bacteria. Shaking it in a closed container will re-aerate it.

...And remember, you have 40 gallons (or not, depending on yours) of good water in your water heater, plus whatever is in the back of your toilet.

Excellent reminders. That was/is one of my main concerns since we're a family of 6

I need to make a B.O.B.!!! All i have right now is half a bottle of 151 and some ammo and sunglasses....yeah thats about all i need maybe a lighter....151 is a good sub for the kerosene and what not cause you can drink it AND use it as fire starter

I need to make a B.O.B.!!! All i have right now is half a bottle of 151 and some ammo and sunglasses....yeah thats about all i need maybe a lighter....151 is a good sub for the kerosene and what not cause you can drink it AND use it as fire starter

Put the glasses on, drink 151, throw bullets at bad guy? :confused: