loose helmet

Steve Butters

ok guys i have an RF1100 that i just bought in April...ive only put like 500 miles on it

ive started a gym membership and better diet and im starting to lose some weight, and currently i have the largest cheek pads available in the helmet and it fits ok, but if i lose any more weight, ill need a size L isntead of XL

with how much these damn things cost, ide hate to have to break my bank and buy another one after just buying the one i have...

is there any way to shim the cheek pads any more to make it fit more secure? or could i have the pads reupholstered a little thicker, like just have a thin piece of foam wrapped around them and then fabric laid over it? that sounds like it would be ok, but idk where ide have that done lol

if anyone has a matte black rf1100 in like new condition like mine, ide be willing to trade!! haha, dont see that happening tho

basically, is there anything i can do to avoid spending another $400 on a helmet?

I'm not a doctor, but isn't your head size basically a function of your skull and jaw size?

Losing weight shouldn't affect the size of your head.

If it does, maybe grow a beard? :D

start eating cheeseburgers again.

methinks you're fooked until it gets chillier and you can wear a mask to cover your newly slender cheeks. CL that thing and see what you can get for it to offset a new lid. My $.02.

start eating cheeseburgers again.

methinks you're fooked until it gets chillier and you can wear a mask to cover your newly slender cheeks. CL that thing and see what you can get for it to offset a new lid. My $.02.

sadly thats my other option im leaning towards.... i just dont see a big market for used helmets...maybe its just me, im weird about using a helmet that isnt mine or i didnt buy brand new...feels like wearing someone elses underwear which just wouldnt be right to me lol

im going to stick it out...i may swing by pony and try on a L and see if the fit seems worth the loss to me..

You should be able to just buy small pads. I bought a medium HFC for my back up/girls and found it was too big for girls so I bought small pads. Check with the manufacture to see if the shell is the same size. Most companies just change the size of the padding...

You should be able to just buy small pads. I bought a medium HFC for my back up/girls and found it was too big for girls so I bought small pads. Check with the manufacture to see if the shell is the same size. Most companies just change the size of the padding...

i think HJC uses the same shells for 2 sizes... like L-XL are same shell (not exactly those 2 sizes, just an example..its been awhile since i worked around helmets)...but shoei use different shells for each size...i thought of this already too :(

**edit, nvm...they use 5 shell sizes to cover XXS-XXXL, but it turns out that XL is its own shell size

Edited by Steve Butters

I'd say that it isn't safe to modify the pads w/ anything. Just my thoughts.

i wouldnt go that....adding extra fabric to the exterior of the pads isnt causing a safety issue...how do you think they make bigger pads to begin with? add foam, wrap in fabric...

Done professionally by the company that makes them w/ the proper materials and construction. I'm just saying I would prefer to not modify a helmet that was going on my head is all. No disrespect or anything, I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

Done professionally by the company that makes them w/ the proper materials and construction. I'm just saying I would prefer to not modify a helmet that was going on my head is all. No disrespect or anything, I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

I have to agree with this.

Just buy a cheaper helmet until (ok, IF) you plump back up... :lol:

I'm pretty happy with the cheap-o Zox that I bought from the Pony last year. Snell certified and all for under $100.

I have to agree with this.

Just buy a cheaper helmet until (ok, IF) you plump back up... :lol:

I'm pretty happy with the cheap-o Zox that I bought from the Pony last year. Snell certified and all for under $100.

I like my sparx helmet. Like ~$80. Awesome smoked/tinted screen too. Nice design, I think its only DOT tho.

I got an arai profile for around 300 just recently. Good and slightly cheaper option than the shoei lol....

Im no pro, but i dont think messing/adding a bit of foam would affect its durability/safety all that much. It seems more dangerous to not have a good fit. As long as it fits snug and balanced on your head it seems like it'd be fine.

i dont want another cheap helmet...i have an HJC that i thought was ok, but after wearing the shoei, its the only helmet ill buy from here out...if i get a new one, it will be another shoei

I get that. Was that way with Shoeis for years, and now won't have any other primary helmet but Arai, until the kill the Quantum2 line (it fits my head like a glove, even better than my Shoeis did). But as a backup or short term solution, I do like the Scorpions. You might check Comp Accessories. They have been blasting me with sale emails on helmet deals.

guess ill enjoy it while it lasts, and maybe keep it as a winter helmet for when i have my face mask on under it, and just pick up a second one to wear in the summer....ill have to see how it fits when/if my face gets any smaller...currently, it fits me perfectly...hopefully it lasts lol

guess it wouldnt be terrible to use as a winter helmet, instead of my old HJC (it got too big also, which is why i bought the shoei to begin with)

It would be worth looking in at IP to check if you could buy a large headliner for your extra large helmet. I know there are 5 shell sizes for the entire size run, XXS-XXXL. If the L & XL use the same shell you could get a better fit in the crown, which would in turn force the already thickest cheek pads (I think 41mm) to hold onto you more. Good luck!