Mid-Ohio 6/28 and 6/29

redkow97

so you going saturday to beaverun?i already sign for mid ohio

Yeah...running BeaveRun. I'm from pittsburgh...so I'll visit the family too...making a weekend of it. There's a bunch of folks I know running BeaveRun...should be a blast.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you had fun Thats all that matters right?

Your job as a coach is to get him smoother and running quicker in Advanced. No offense to Zorro as I have seen him ride and he is very smooth and consistant, but 1:45 in Advanced is somewhat boarderline. In the group that was there Mon/Tues, it really is something you should be looking at to improve... 12 second difference is a big gap for that group...

Fun is fine, but the stragglers should be worked with in getting up to pace and if not, move to I group for a better learning environment...

Monday, or Tuesday? I didn't pay much attention to anyone on Monday. I didn't think West even left the garage on Monday.

Given that he left at lunch, I'm sure West has several more seconds to drop. Hale was just impressive to watch because he was the only one keeping with West (including the Celtic and Chronic riders) AND had never been there before.

I didn't hear what times anyone else got down to after lunch.

Yes, we all did... The one dry session was when we all came out for the session...

Your job as a coach is to get him smoother and running quicker in Advanced. No offense to Zorro as I have seen him ride and he is very smooth and consistant, but 1:45 in Advanced is somewhat boarderline. In the group that was there Mon/Tues, it really is something you should be looking at to improve... 12 second difference is a big gap for that group...

Fun is fine, but the stragglers should be worked with in getting up to pace and if not, move to I group for a better learning environment...

I'm smooove as butter...except when I'm running off the back straight.

Nope not sarcastic My point was its a track day not a race. If you had fun great.

You don't get it. Why is it automatically a "race" when someone states that certain times are not safe at certain levels? You think a 1:45 is fine when guys are running rather easily at 33s? seriously? Each track day has it's differences in speed. That day, :45 is boarderline. In a 20 minute session, they will see the :45 guy probably twice as they will leave the pits first... IF the guy isn't smooth like Zorro is, that meeting or those meetings can be sketchy at best...

I know you ignore my comments and I am somewhat baffled at you being an instructor with little experience. I will also say that the line choices you use are not conducive of teaching proper line usage and proper bike control. The idea behind using proper lines is that a rider can not only go around a track quicker, but also efficiently with less effort extended. Not to "race" or be a "racer", but to get better as a rider. It's a track day and a time to tune and setup for racers that attend.

Your mentality should be to raise the ability level to the point that a set time can be run, but now, it is easier to run at that pace. Essentially using less ability... You run a lap time at 80% of your ability when with proper lines being taught and proper technique being used all the while in a group that is less intimidating can result in using say, 50% of your ability at that same speed. If you are showing a rider the wrong line, you are showing him how to work harder - not smarter or easier...

it's not a race. If it were, the times would be in the 29s to 31s every lap. That's not going to happen. However, if a guy averages 45s and is trying hard to do so, he needs groomed in the I group until able to maintain about 5 seconds quicker a lap to jump up. Racers at track days work on segments. Set parts of the track that they need attention towards or segments that allow the rider to understand what the bike is doing and what the changes they made do to the bike... They understand that they cannot run "race pace" at a track day. 3/4 a lap will be free, but 1/4 of it is traffic. There's no way to get a fully clean lap unless the very first one...

Quit trying to make this a racer vs. a guy "having fun". You aren't a racer (even with the Graves motor) and to sit and essentially state negatively towards racers is somewhat insulting. What needs to be done is focusing on the riders that need that extra boost to get them into a quicker time with an increase in ability. Trust me when I say that if a racer is running out there doing 33s, they aren't anywhere near their ability max. They can run 33s at 70% ability and that reserve is more than enough to accommodate any issues that may arise...

However, if a guy averages 45s and is trying hard to do so, he needs groomed in the I group until able to maintain about 5 seconds quicker a lap to jump up. Racers at track days work on segments. Set parts of the track that they need attention towards or segments that allow the rider to understand what the bike is doing and what the changes they made do to the bike... They understand that they cannot run "race pace" at a track day. 3/4 a lap will be free, but 1/4 of it is traffic. There's no way to get a fully clean lap unless the very first one...

I'm not sure how much grooming can be done in I. When I was running I, I got bumped because I was passing everyone...never got passed. So, with me running I, it would be like the experts/racers running A with me in A. Same scenario...different groups. It's better to have those experts passing me, than me passing folks in I simply because the skill level of those involved. Granted, more space is required in I for passing...but as you know, that's not strictly followed.

One thing to note about this day in question...

During the last three sessions, it seemed as if the instructors were only concerned about running with the racers...not instructing. Granted, I didn't ask them for help...which is mostly my responsibility. I'm very impatient and I'm typically the first one waiting in the pit for the session to start. During the last three sessions, the racers would go to the front and then all the instructors would follow. the rest of us would be in the back. I think I got lapped by the racers...which I'm not concerned with. this isn't race practice...it's a track day. I'm sure they had no problems passing me :)

Zorro, you are certainly smooth and cinsistant which makes passing an easy thing. However, that doesn't go for everyone. I've watched guys run 38s and even 36s at 95% of their ability. Wound tight, taking chances and riding WELL beyond their ability level. So, it isn't solely about speed.

But, I will say that if there are riders following lines that are not correct and are running slower, they put faster riders and themselves at risk. It's a debate that goes on for every track day company. But to hear that having fun is the main thing, it goes for maybe Novice riders, but it certainly is important and a top ingredient, but there's a TON of other items that need addressed and taught.