Deer strike on track (Summit point)

fox_racing_guy

thats sucks!... and honestly, the puddle doesnt surprise me much... they run track days in pouring rain.. this isnt nascar ya know lol... so it prob rained heavy the night before and its not dry in the low spots.. just have to be aware and careful

Actually! It poured rain midday on Saturday. I got my MW solo done in the sweltering 90+ humid weather. Then the clouds came in and opened up a huge downpour. You don't really see what it was, but at 50-51 seconds...those two puddles were actually one big one across the track that was 8-10 feet long and 2-3 inches deep. Its amazing how fast those two guys were going in the HW Expert solo despite how damp the track was. And with the mis-shift, that's going to happen at summit, you can't afford many mistakes there.

Gotta love YouTube comments. Such douchebags take the time to comment on that site.

Here's 1 winner:

mogul1265

- Not worth it. < has a bike. Being a soldier in iraq is safer, yeah im shook from a wreck i had last year. But like i said...not worth it. Stupid.

mogul1265 1 week ago

Another:

jettoomey

-

Can you please give us the status of that poor deer? It was probably just trying to drink from one of the lake-sized puddles of water on your ghetto ass race track. Real men race in traffic. Booooooooooooooooooooooo.

One of the best :nono::lol::

operationnorthwoodz

-Brake and steer towards where the deer WAS (crossing from the right), rather than target fixation and hit it head on.

Edited by NinjaNick

thats sucks!... and honestly, the puddle doesnt surprise me much... they run track days in pouring rain..

The video's from a race. that pace at a trackday would be chaotic. I saw this on the WERA board right after it happened, but just based on the pace in the video, both riders must have "expert" licenses.

the "fast pass" someone referenced was because the camera bike missed a shift (badly). Ironically, that's probably what kept HIM from hitting the deer.

you should see the shit-storm some people on the WERA board were creating about how terrible it is that the track doesn't "control" the deer. :rolleyes:

supposedly there's an apple orchard very close to the track that attracts the deer like crazy, but what can you do? fences have this nasty habit of caging scared deer INSIDE perimeter of the track.

Deer was already down, right? Not sure why it would be, but not sure...

the prevailing opinion is that the deer tried to stop and turn around, but slipped on the pavement.

I've seen the same happen on public roads, but the deer has always managed to get back up before being hit. I think the theory is sound though.

The deer may have dropped when it realized it was in trouble too... see the dog, cat, deer, and fawn video I posted.

Right at the end - nearly a race-marshall strike too. The guy running across the track in lo-vis clothing as the bike comes past him an hi-speed...

The dude on the camera bike was waving him over

you should see the shit-storm some people on the WERA board were creating about how terrible it is that the track doesn't "control" the deer. :rolleyes:

supposedly there's an apple orchard very close to the track that attracts the deer like crazy, but what can you do? fences have this nasty habit of caging scared deer INSIDE perimeter of the track.

I would think fences would be a "must-have" for a track, for one to keep out the wildlife and,

two to keep unathorized people from using the track after hours.

If you can get your bike on Summit in the non-fenced area's you brought it through some thick woods and briars. And fences only work so well anyways, deer can jump 5-6ft high without much issue. So do the math on how much $$ that would take in this economy to even try to put it all up.

As for the racers and speed, that was the Expert Heavyweight Solo 16. The last race of the day on Saturday and was a blast to watch in turn 10 (fastest turn).

I will keep going back because its a fun track and this doesn't happen that often. Yes, it has happened before years ago....but considering how many events are hosted there a year, its a relatively low percentage. No different then skydiving or bungee jumping, its all a risk that is unknown until you do it. And the marshall/corner worker wasn't in that much danger. Palmer was in a slow controlled speed and saw him coming from across the track. He probably would have loved to stop and check also, but no stopping on the track!

Edited by SJC1000rr

I would think fences would be a "must-have" for a track' date=' for one to keep out the wildlife and,

two to keep unathorized people from using the track after hours.[/quote']

the problem is deer ALWAYS find a way over, around, or through a fence. Always.

then you've got a deer trapped on the infield of the track with no way out. That's a worst-case scenario if you ask me.