Trailer registration from out of town question

mojocho

OK, I'll be moving to Ohio soon from Michigan. I don't own a trailer, but am planning to get an enclosed one this week.

In Michigan, there is a one time registeration fee which gets you a permanent license plate with no expiration. Should I wait and register it in Ohio? Or will a permanent plate from out of state be a problem. Just thinking if I get pulled over and I have MI plates on trailer with (eventually) Ohio plates on my truck I'd get questioned.

If it's not a problem then I'm inclined to just register and plate in MI and then I don't ever have to worry about it again and have to pay money again.

thoughts?

hmmmm...

I guess I won't register the trailer in MI then. I'll have temporary housing in Ohio from my relo so I wouldnt be able to register it for a couple of months until I find and close on a house.

So that means I'll be unregistered while using the trailer to move from MI to OH. Will I get fined from an LEO or should I be ok as long as I have a proof of purchase on me?

I did the same thing from Cali. Bought the trailer in Cali, same deal with the plates. Just keep your trailer registration with you in the truck and you'll be fine.

Great. Thanks man.

You can get a weight paper form the DMV here (it legally lets you pull the trailer without a plate in OH). I used it with my boat for a jew months. If you ever get pulled over just tell them you are getting the trailer weighed...