Freeway cracks and Tar Snakes

ReconRat

I noticed last Friday that I-670 and a lot of other city roads had tar snakes put down in mass quantities. Slippery when hot.

I also saw a motorcycle tire eating rut of a crack between lanes. It was fairly long, and varied in width so that it could grab just about any motorcycle tire. At the Cleveland Ave entrance to East/North I-670. I wouldn't want to hit that thing when changing lanes. It's in a place that will effect East bound traffic crossing town. It's not just the entrance ramp. It's farther down the road where traffic flows back onto I-670, after passing I-71.

Tar snakes are #1 in population in Lorain County amongst all reptilian-like road hazards. And they grown them thicker every year. So, to add to hummin's statement about them being death when wet, they are crap when its dry and hot as hell out, like the past couple weeks. It might as well be crude oil seeping up through those cracks.

Y'all be careful out there!

you'd be surprised how many of those fault line crevasses we have in cincy.

it's like they just don't care about it and leave them like that for years.

but, you'd also be surprised that your bike tire will actually float right over these things without even feeling it.

I'd had to do it by accident a bunch of times and not once could I even feel it.

i never have problems with any of these things...maybe because my bike is so heavy?

Inertia has a lot to do with it. It's not likely that anything on the road will stop a heavy bike. There is the possibility that something on the road can damage the front wheel/tire. That could bring a bike down. There are a few cases in memory of bikes hitting stuff that blew out the front tire, and possibly denting the rim. Same with a car, it can happen.

180 heading from Hocking Hills to Laurelville there was an abnormal amount of tar snakes. They seemed to be no more than 2 feet between and covering the whole lane. It was like riding on ice. I was prolly a solid 2 miles like that.

Yea...went on a ride to support troop housing this past weekend and we ended up roaming the back roads of the hocking hills where the "tar snakes" and such were everywhere. Its pretty common this time of year for cheap fixes to roads to use tar and light pebbles to patch up the roads...not very forgiving for us bikers.

Keep your eyes out and give everyone a little more space....