Mid Ohio School Promotional session at AMA

vw151

Nice shots!

It looked like those guys were having a great time out there, and I imagine it would really add an interesting perspective to watching the races later in the day.

I agree. I feel that I get a lot more enjoyment out of watching races on tracks that I've ridden. You have a much better idea of how skilled the racers are when you see them doing things you can't even imagine being able to do.

I almost found it more fun to watch Cory West at a trackday than during the races. When everyone is within a second a lap of each other, there's you lose some perspective about where the pros are so much faster than the rest of us.

I made a point to watch/listen for the supersport riders' braking markers on the front and back straights, as well as listening for where they get off and back on the gas through the esses. There's no way I'm going to have the balls to use their braking points, but seeing their lines and knowing "i SHOULD be able to get back on the gas here" can only help.

I have to say, it's just cool being out there with the racers at a track day and seeing their lines and how ridiculously slow they make me look, then seeing them out on the track being mediocre but also seeing them do some of the same stuff you saw really close up out there. It certainly does inspire you to get faster and work at it because you can see that you are not at the top.

I was kinda curious as to why you didn't run AMA SS... You'd definitely qualify...

Does Brian even own a 600?

1:37.6 would have been the cutoff, so I'm sure Brian could have qualified, but when race pace is consistently below 1:32, it's a lot of money to spend on entry fees to get lapped by the faster riders.

I guess someone has to be last in every race, but I admit I found myself asking, "why is Johnny Rock Page even here?" Melissa Paris didn't look impressive either, but she's injured, and totally hot, so I cut her a lot more slack.

Edited by redkow97

I agree. I feel that I get a lot more enjoyment out of watching races on tracks that I've ridden. You have a much better idea of how skilled the racers are when you see them doing things you can't even imagine being able to do.

Agree 100%. First time I experienced this was watching mid ohio this weekend...amazing stuff.

THANKS for posting up! I had fun flogging the Hypermotard around Saturday in front of the crowd. Ran the zx10r on Thursday with some decent times but decided to run the HM1100 Saturday as something a little different looking that might appeal to a different type of rider. So... here's the shameless plug for the excellent MidOhio Performance Riding School! ;-)

I was kinda curious as to why you didn't run AMA SS... You'd definitely qualify...

Appreciate it. I think I could have gotten around 12th in Superbike. I did 29s last year and raced on 31s. I think with race fuel and race slicks, I could have landed inside the top 15.

Of course, there were only 15 riders...:p

In any case, I am too old and just wanna have fun. Leave that stuff to the young pups...

THANKS for posting up! I had fun flogging the Hypermotard around Saturday in front of the crowd. Ran the zx10r on Thursday with some decent times but decided to run the HM1100 Saturday as something a little different looking that might appeal to a different type of rider. So... here's the shameless plug for the excellent MidOhio Performance Riding School! ;-)

The hyper photographs better than the ZX10 for sure. Just sayin....

I had fun shooting it cause it looks so much cooler than the bikes with fairings, even if they probably were blowing your doors off on the back straight. That and you really looked like you were having fun out there. Some of the people seemed like they were taking it extra easy. I guess crashing on a promotional track day session would be bad though.

Edited by vw151

My friend Dave took some pictures of me and Todd on track on our Yamahoppers the next Day. Who knew I would get some track time this weekend as well.

If you've never done 2 laps at Mid-OH at wide open throttle and never touched the brakes you don't know what you are missing. Todd says he timed a lap at 2:45.

Todd is on the blue bike I'm on the red. Don't let the waving to the crowds fool you. I was still wide open there.

DPP_1756.jpg

DPP_1757.jpg

DPP_1758.jpg

DPP_1759.jpg

DPP_1760.jpg

DPP_1762.jpg

DPP_1763.jpg

DPP_1764.jpg

DPP_1765.jpg

DPP_1766.jpg

DPP_1767.jpg

DPP_1768.jpg