Twisty & Fast Route to VIR?

alienpi

I'm going to VIR mid august and according to Google Maps there's two routes. One takes I-75 for a couple hundred miles south and then goes east towards VIR. The first route takes about 10 hours according to Google Maps. The second route (which I will most likely take) is shorter and takes less time.

I-75 South for about 40 miles

35 E Eventually 35 South about 200 miles

I-64 E for a while about 80 miles

I-77 South for a bit about 90 miles

US-58 E for about 100 miles

My question is whether or not I could alter the route slightly to make it more twisty and fast. The weather will be the deciding factor if I drive or ride. I know the roads are nice out that way, so I'd really love to take the bike.

Also, I was wondering how bad the cops are along the way?

Thank you

Twisty is the opposite of fast. There are tons of great ways of getting there, with scenic and curvy roads, but not a one of them is faster than the interstate or straight state roads.

One time I was out riding in an area I didn't really know and one of the guys at the gas station mentioned that there's a really twisty road really close by that will take me to the same location that I'm going. So, I took his advice and as soon as I got on the road I realized that that guy probably wasn't a sport-bike rider, because the pavement was horrible with chunks missing and gravel everywhere. It was twisty, but not being able to really go very fast meant that it was very boring.

I'm looking for twisty yet still 60+, kinda like the Dragon with less cops.

Edited by alienpi

Ok, so I was looking at the route and www.motorcycleroads.us and I think I've got my route. It will take a few extra hours, but I think it'll be worth it for better scenery and more curves and possibly less cops.

From Dayton, I'll take 35E to Chillicothe.

From Chillicothe, I'll take 23S and eventually 52E to Ironton.

[23 is considered a scenic road on http://www.motorcycleroads.us/]

From Ironton, I'll take 52E to 10S.

[10 is considered a twisty road on http://www.motorcycleroads.us/]

Take 10 South for about 150 miles to Lashmeet, WV

A few miles of connecting roads to I-77S and then US-58E to Alton, VA

Has anyone experienced this 150 miles of twisty road that is 10?

I was thinking about just staying on 52 after Ironton, because it's considered twisty and it goes right to I-77S.

Edit:After looking at it closer, it seems that both 10 and 52 follow rivers for a while. It looks like there is a new and old 52, so I'm going to have to rely on google maps heavily just after Ironton. It also appears that 52 doesn't hit as many small towns.

Edited by alienpi

• 3 weeks later...

It was a great trip! Unfortunately, I had a close encounter with the unmarked Dodge Charger highway patrols. Virginia is a little crazy about speed limit enforcement!

1. Unmarked cars are everywhere. (Didn't start noticing them until my close encounter.)

2. Radar detectors are illegal.

3. Speed is monitored from aircraft.