Chinese missile could shift Pacific power balance

chevysoldier

http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/08/05/chinese-missile-could-shift-pacific-power-balance/

Nothing projects U.S. global air and sea power more vividly than supercarriers. Bristling with fighter jets that can reach deep into even landlocked trouble zones, America’s virtually invincible carrier fleet has long enforced its dominance of the high seas.

China may soon put an end to that.

U.S. naval planners are scrambling to deal with what analysts say is a game-changing weapon being developed by China – an unprecedented carrier-killing missile called the Dong Feng 21D that could be launched from land with enough accuracy to penetrate the defenses of even the most advanced moving aircraft carrier at a distance of more than 1,500 kilometers (900 miles)

No fear, actual real mechanical hardware. Mach 10 cruise missile, which is 7500 MPH. Surface radar might pick it up about 25 miles away, skimming the surface of the ocean for an attack on an aircraft carrier. That's only 12 seconds till it hits it's target. Really good human eyesight might see it at 2 miles, and that's less than one second from striking. And it wouldn't be alone, they would be launched in groups, and in probably three multiple waves of them.

Serious weapon...

edit: it's moving so fast it would try to glow bright red from heat. It would be like getting hit with a large meteorite. If it missed and hit the water, the shock wave in the water at that speed would be enough to sink most ships. (If it weighed at least 500 pounds.)

Edited by ReconRat

Wait, so you're saying that besides being the preeminent growth economy, a large holder of our national debt, and the largest population of all nations- they're putting an end to our ability to govern at the point of a warship and fighter plane?:o

Learn Chinese.

No fear, actual real mechanical hardware. Mach 10 cruise missile, which is 7500 MPH. Surface radar might pick it up about 25 miles away, skimming the surface of the ocean for an attack on an aircraft carrier. That's only 12 seconds till it hits it's target. Really good human eyesight might see it at 2 miles, and that's less than one second from striking. And it wouldn't be alone, they would be launched in groups, and in probably three multiple waves of them.

Serious weapon...

edit: it's moving so fast it would try to glow bright red from heat. It would be like getting hit with a large meteorite. If it missed and hit the water, the shock wave in the water at that speed would be enough to sink most ships. (If it weighed at least 500 pounds.)

It's a ballistic missile which means it would go into space and then drop on it target via maneuverable warheads, just like a nuke. 7500MPH at sea level would create so much heat and drag that it would have almost no range. If it is capable of doing what it is advertised to do, it is a serious weapon.

It's a ballistic missile which means it would go into space and then drop on it target via maneuverable warheads, just like a nuke. 7500MPH at sea level would create so much heat and drag that it would have almost no range. If it is capable of doing what it is advertised to do, it is a serious weapon.

Oopsie, I knew that was wrong when I posted. I confused it with the Chinese (Iran/Russian) Sunburn supersonic cruise missile under development.

Supersonic at sea level is possible by managing the shock wave propagated. The drag is much lower that way. So far only the Russians (with India) and the Americans have made any advancement. USA working on a Mach 4+ sea level cruise missile. USA first flew a supersonic cruise missile in the late 1950s. Of the 14 common supersonic cruise missiles, 6 are Chinese.

No fear then, the Standard Arm on board ship can defend against ballistic attack easily. But not high speed cruise missiles.

Fastest cruise missile so far. Russian/Indian Brahmos(Sunburn):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp9KQ2JGfMg

Edited by ReconRat

And if they used one of these to take out one of our aircraft carriers, Obama would apologize for getting in the way of their missile. A real president would nuke Beijing.

which would ensure the nuking of america. i mean, do you think the chinese would rest until a nuclear bomb of their own went off here?

there is a term, mutual assured destruction. china has second strike capabilities. they got a lot of help building nukes from the russians, so they could have some variant of the dead hand system where nukes are automatically launched back by a computer, even if everyone is dead. they also have submarine launched missiles in service too, so they could hit back that way as well. it would probably be the end of the world.

but really, i think the whole thing is moot, because why would china want to attack us? we are their number one trading partner. we buy all the junk they make. we are making them rich. i guess they could want to deter us from intervening in taiwain or something...

Edited by John

Oopsie, I knew that was wrong when I posted. I confused it with the Chinese (Iran/Russian) Sunburn supersonic cruise missile under development.

Supersonic at sea level is possible by managing the shock wave propagated. The drag is much lower that way. So far only the Russians (with India) and the Americans have made any advancement. USA working on a Mach 4+ sea level cruise missile. USA first flew a supersonic cruise missile in the late 1950s. Of the 14 common supersonic cruise missiles, 6 are Chinese.

No fear then, the Standard Arm on board ship can defend against ballistic attack easily. But not high speed cruise missiles.

Fastest cruise missile so far. Russian/Indian Brahmos(Sunburn):

That launch sequence and target strike is damn impressive.