Skunk: 2, Overzealous Beagle: 0

redkow97

My dog (Henry) had a nasty encounter with a skunk last October. It involved a serious direct-hit in the face, and then a follow-up misting when he charged a second time (retard).

Last night he learned that baby skunks pack less of a punch, but are also too stupid to run away.

I was moving my bike into the garage when I heard him barking, and went out back to see a little black/white puff-ball baby skunk just standing there while my dog barked at him...

This go 'round wasn't nearly as bad as the first, but it's an experience I'd like to avoid repeating.

Obviously we have a family of skunks near our house.

Any advice on getting rid of them? I'm considering all legal, and most less-than-legal means.

Trapping and drowning seems to be the popular choice, but I'm concerned that might just lead to 1) my dog eating whatever we use to bate the trap, or 2) my dog (or me) getting sprayed by a captive skunk.

I'd love an excuse to purchase an inexpensive .22 rifle, but a pellet gun is going to be much easier to discharge without drawing scrutiny from the neighbors.

Any other suggestions? the cute little baby fuckers would be almost too adorable to drown. almost.

^ yeah, a 22 caliber solution is tempting, but if I'm going to purchase a .22, I'd rather it be a rifle.

I'm thinking http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=416224&pdesc=Savage_Model_64_package_with_Scope_22_LR&aID=510B2&merchID=4006, or the mossberg model. The Mossberg doesn't come with a scope though... Of course, the one on that savage is probably junk, so...

don't shoot em...my neighbor shot 2 that he trapped in his garden...and i can't explain the stinch that covered the entire neighborhood for hours and hours. The smell even went into my house because i had the windows open. Trap them and some how get rid of them without killing them.

if you are careful with your aim, one gunshot will not draw any scrutiny. hell two probably wont either. no one is gonna call the cops for one or two little pops.

or just start setting off fireworks regularly, then the neighbors will be used to it.

to get the smell on your dog reduced to a somewhat tolerable level:

In a plastic container, combine 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap. Add lukewarm water if needed (for larger dogs). Mix ingredients well. The solution will fizz, as a chemical reaction is occurring. Use immediately - do not store.

Do not soak your dog with water prior to bathing. Promptly begin cleansing the affected areas thoroughly, massaging the solution deep into your dog's coat. You may wish to use a sponge or washcloth. Avoid getting the solution in the eyes, ears or mouth.

Allow the solution to remain on your dog for at least five minutes (longer if strong odor persists).

Rinse your dog well with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary until odor is gone.

Dry your dog well.

Their coat may be lighter in color, but this will help the smell.

use of a .22 will probably remove the immediate problem, but when a skunk dies, they spray the entire area in their "death throws". I prefer .223 at about 200M.

Racoon trap, Something to wrap around the trap so it's air tight. Or trash can, I'm not sure. Insert garden hose connected to car exaust.

I'm thinking that's what the exterminator did when grandparents had the same problem.

I had a problem with racoons in my trash. My kids would go to take it out and those beady eyed fuckers would be nearby so I got a can of cat food and mixed in som d-con or whatever that poison shit is. Never saw them again. It's a double winner cuz it eats then goes back to it's house to die 99% of the time not leaving u to clean up the mess or the smell.

I'm not far from parma if you need to borrow a .22 let me know. A .22 rifle is a little quieter then a handgun also. At least my .22 rifle is when I compare it to my browning handgun. Slingshot with a ball bearing would work also. If you are a good shot. If you hit the skunk in the head there will be no smell. More humane also with a quick kill.

We put out a trap at night and put food in it. Next morning said skunk was in there. Take a large blanket and walk slowly towards it from the behind and cover the cage and then throw it in the back of a truck and haul it away. it worked and it didnt spray.

On another note this chick I use to hang out with a year ago had a pet skunk, still has it to my knowledge. It was cool when it was little now its just a giant ankle biting soccer ball.