I hate the union mentality...

RSVDon

Seriously, the petty issues, paranoia, and the general lack of returned respect is annoying. Do you really think I want to do your job? I've got enough on my plate as is to even think about doing your job. Just because I'm wearing a pair of gloves does not mean I want to take your job away, it means I don't feel like slicing my hands open on the thousands of sharp objects located on my engine.

I hate visiting UAW vehicle plants...

Disclaimer: I've worked with many a great union people and made plenty of friends, it's just the select few that ruin it for the rest by sticking to that old, stupid "mentality".

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd comment on this thread but the Thread Commenters Local 318 might get pissed since I'm not a member.

:lol: A grievance will be filed shortly for even mentioning it. Expect some old fat guy who sits behind a desk all day (read: steward) to come out hootin' and hollerin' about something in 5...4...3...2...

In all seriousness though, I work at a place that doesn't allow unions and we still have problems with that mentality. I think it's just a personality trait that some people unfortunately consider acceptable in our culture. The difference is that unions legally sanction that behavior...

I followed a guy on the turnpike the other day with one of those giant union worker stickers on the back door of his beater minivan. I had to take a look to see if he fit the profile, so I passed him. Yeah... 350 lbs. with the seat reclined back to fit behind the wheel... there's your typical UAW member.

I followed a guy on the turnpike the other day with one of those giant union worker stickers on the back door of his beater minivan. I had to take a look to see if he fit the profile, so I passed him. Yeah... 350 lbs. with the seat reclined back to fit behind the wheel... there's your typical UAW member.

Yup nobody does shit. Were all fat n lazy n overpaid

Go f yourself. You sound like a little whiney ass bitch yourself. Like me saying all scabs are fucktards. Not true. Keep your comments to yourself. Go tell the guys what younpost here to their face if it bothers you.

Definitely UAW ^^

You're really good at reading, I can tell.

im a union member and i work damn hard for the little bit of money that i make

No doubt, factory work is not easy. I just hate that attitude that some take on the system. I mean, if these people really want to take responsibility for all these problems I work on, I'd be glad to pass them off. Nobody seems to want to take that responsibility but will bitch all day long if I share floor space with them doing MY job.

Like I said, few spoil it for many.

im a union member and i work damn hard for the little bit of money that i make

And for you, I wish those fuckers weren't extorting your paycheck so they can play golf and blow politicians. Legalized extortion. The American worker deserves better than that.

I dont dispute that and I'm sure Don wouldn't either. He's referring to UAW members. 95% of them are worthless.

:lol: You hit the nail on the head, although I wouldn't say 95%. I've met some very friendly, hard working people that take pride in what they are building and they are fantastic to work with.

tbutera...

I don't think any of us have a problem with someone working hard and getting what they're due. It's just the many examples of those who work the bare minimum, expect the maximum, and don't give a crap about anyone around them or the employer they're working for that ruin it. Unfortunately, that has become the sterotype of a union worker (UAW in particular). My good friend from high school told me how they used to sit in the breakroom for half the night and get payed for it at one of the local stamping plants. He's now just getting done with school and moving into a different career after the plant closed. We can point fingers at the execs, and they would deserve it, but there are plenty of reasons to hate the union mentality and tactics.

I also work at a company that is non-union, but has many employees with that union "I'm entitled" mentality. Funny, when the economy tanked, a lot of those people (some who had been here 30 years) were let go (good riddance).

There was a time and place for the unions, and we owe them for bringing workplace standards up, but that time has long since past.

And for you, I wish those fuckers weren't extorting your paycheck so they can play golf and blow politicians. Legalized extortion. The American worker deserves better than that.

i get a 35 cent raise every 6 months...but every time i get a raise, my union dues go up....that kinda shit bothers me too

but they keep the vultures off our backs while working, and they secured our benefits....i pay like $30 a month or so in union dues outta one of my checks, its well worth the job security and the peace of mind that theres a process behind everything and some nutjob supervisor on her period cant just go and fire people (i mean.....they do it, but then we get a hearing and it never sticks)

tbutera...

I don't think any of us have a problem with someone working hard and getting what they're due. It's just the many examples of those who work the bare minimum, expect the maximum, and don't give a crap about anyone around them or the employer they're working for that ruin it. Unfortunately, that has become the sterotype of a union worker (UAW in particular). My good friend from high school told me how they used to sit in the breakroom for half the night and get payed for it at one of the local stamping plants. He's now just getting done with school and moving into a different career after the plant closed. We can point fingers at the execs, and they would deserve it, but there are plenty of reasons to hate the union mentality and tactics.

I also work at a company that is non-union, but has many employees with that union "I'm entitled" mentality. Funny, when the economy tanked, a lot of those people (some who had been here 30 years) were let go (good riddance).

There was a time and place for the unions, and we owe them for bringing workplace standards up, but that time has long since past.

if you don't like them don't join. Will always be around my friend. It's time the scab owners start paying the workers a decent wage. Trust me the owners bid it the same.

I don't know about your line of work, but in manufacturing, it's really difficult to fire someone without worrying about getting sued. You have to document it to the max.

On the other hand, my uncles were long distance truck drivers. Some of the hours they were expected to drive were insane. Without any checks and balances, I can see them pushing the drivers to keep illegal and unsafe hours.