I crashed at VIR video

gixxie750

question: do you think you would have done more damage if you had just layed it down on purpose before the gravel trap? i assume grass slides easier and doesn't grab/catch as much as i think sand/gravel would.

also where is that cam mounted?

question: do you think you would have done more damage if you had just layed it down on purpose before the gravel trap? i assume grass slides easier and doesn't grab/catch as much as i think sand/gravel would.

Grass does a pretty good job of grabbing everything that sticks out and ripping it off.

I feel like i had MASS time to choose. I waited till the gravel as a last ditch effort. I playes with down shifting and breaking,but they all felt bad. Once i saw the tire wall i knew it was time to make crash plans. I would choose gravel over grass ANYTIME!

no way gravel and sand is a million times softer than the grass. bikes rarely get really messed up in gravel and sand. natedog you obviously haven't been down yet lol

I'd rather take spill on the track surface than in the grass. the grass makes you tumble and that's when things get broken. such as your arms n legs.

Edited by serpentracer

no way gravel and sand is a million times softer than the grass. bikes rarely get really messed up in gravel and sand. natedog you obviously haven't been down yet lol

I'd rather take spill on the track surface than in the grass. the grass makes you tumble and that's when things get broken. such as your arms n legs.

Grass will grab for sure, but gravel traps at speed are worse on bikes than grass. The bike augers the front wheel in typically and at anything fast (Brandon's crash was very slow) will cause the bike to tumble and destroy in seconds. Turn 1 and 14 at Mid-Ohio is a classic example. Even the slower groups of riders that crash there cause serious damage. Bike flips and eats itself alive.

If it low sides into grass, well... It's why most guys don't run sliders anymore. Things sticking out get caught. It's almost a loss any way you look at it, but if it is a slow speed off, it doesn't matter as gravel will simply suck you in - very deep stuff - and grass usually pulls you in as well.

High speed? I'd pick grass, i guess... Solution to it all? Stay on track!

How'd the hell did you go off there anyways??:wtf: I've ate a shit burger while trying to cheat distance with a guy. Trailed too much into one there and low sided. Frame slider caught the grass, ripped the bolt clean out of the motor... We finished the race, but damage was fairly expensive.

this is why sand/gravel and lots of run off are important.

vir has played host a lot of crashes lately. including that guy that was killed as another rider (who was 12 years old) hit him.

Did u watch the ama races last night. there was probably about a dozen in the daytona class.

To the op glad your ok. I still haven't had a chance to come to mid-o yet to get instruction from u.

here is the second video of me target fixating again. I was running 2nd the entire race and this dude passed me at the line and i as i watched 2nd go away i just went strait! LAME!

http://contour.com/node/103384

All crashes are diff,but i would choose my body hiting the gravel over anything else lol. Bikes either slide or flip and once they start fliping it doesnt matter whats on the ground lol.