Justice Department Seeks Ebonics Experts

Casper

Yeah, I was just messing. I've got a relative in the Dayton Police Department, and he has learned lots of new words for guns and drugs while on the street. I think its mostly used for assault rifles, but he told me a gun is called a "choppa".

I'm going to appply and then claim racial discrimination when they hire 9 black guys who have fewer degrees than me.

but seriously, www.urbandictionary.com. I know Obama's trying to create jobs, but paying 9 people to do the work of 1 FREE web site... come on...

Thats like saying why hire any linguists, when there is google translator and "language" to english books? Its invaluable having someone that understands it. You see how many completely different definitions urban dictionary has for each word? You could misinterpret what was being said if you were just translating it. Think the Bible, Quran, Old English, etc. Islamic terrorists interpret the Quran to mean kill infidels and get virgins

Thats like saying why hire any linguists, when there is google translator and "language" to english books? Its invaluable having someone that understands it. You see how many completely different definitions urban dictionary has for each word? You could misinterpret what was being said if you were just translating it. Think the Bible, Quran, Old English, etc. Islamic terrorists interpret the Quran to mean kill infidels and get virgins

although I completely agree with your point, its ebonics. Doesn't take that much to understand and its not an official language. Hell, it shouldnt be a language at all if you ask me...more like gibberish

It is fucking EBONICS! Ebonics = ignorant, uneducated, gutter rat

im fluent in jive and ebonics but i dont want to infringe on the liberties and personal freedoms of other american citizens. the government has no right to tell me what i can or can not put into my own body.

This reminds me of about ten years ago or so when someone petitioned their local school board to add ebonics to the high school foreign language program. I can't remember for sure what city and state it was but I want to say it was either New York or L.A. At any rate, this pisses me off more than the imigrants who move here and refuse to learn english for whatever creative reason they decide to come up with. You can't take weird slang and mix it with poor gramar and fucked up pronunciation and call it a new language or even a modified version of a real language. It's not a language, besides, I don't hear anyone saying that we need southern redneck or Martha's Vinyard yuppie interpretors.

Edited by jmwildi

only in America could the contingent of uneducated people become large enough to have their own "language" recognized...

And before someone tries to call me racist for "implying that black people are uneducated," I'd like to point out that Clarence Thomas and Barack Obama aren't the ones bastardizing the English language. It's not ALL black people.

I'm a firm believer that the vast majority of problems we label as "racial" issues are really economic issues. Ask Marshall Mathers. </rant>