New Shadow Phantom?

bigd

It does look slick. Not sure about the price. I don't think I'd shell out eight grand for anything new but I'm also a poor college student. The Shadow is a good first bike for someone who wants a cruiser. I learned on a Shadow 650 and it wasn't bad. The problem with a cruiser though is size. You need something small enough to be comfortable learning on but large enough that you won't outgrow it in a year like I did with my 650.

I'd advise him to buy a used Shadow for a first bike. If he's still liking it after a year or so, sell it for what he paid for it and then buy the new one. I also think they're overpriced right now.

I love my Shadow. My only complaint is that I really want an 1800 instead of my 1100, but I bought this one for $5400 after I'd been riding for about a year and I've never had any real trouble with it. It is moderately heavy (about 600 lbs with a full tank) which can make it a lot for a newish rider.

That said, dumping $8,000 on a first bike is a really bad idea. Get him a $900 UJM and let him ride that for a year. By that point, he should have enough experience to know exactly what he wants (and the skill to not do thousands of dollars of damage falling over at a stoplight).

I ride a 2005 Shadow Aero 750. I like it. First bike.

I bought it used in June of last year and paid $3,400 if I recall correctly. That was from a Honda dealer too.

I agree on buying a used bike first. No need to drop that kind of money on the first one.

I agree with what everyone else said about not buying new for first bike. He will most likely drop it! I remember accidentally crashing my first bike one morning. It started to fall over, while I was getting to go in my driveway, and then I just kinda rolled and crashed in my yard by my driveway.

Luckily it was an old inexpensive bike, with scratches and such on the sides from previous owners. Just picked it up, knocked off the mud and grass, and rode to work. If it was a new bike I would have been devastated.