truck transmission help!!!!!!!!!!

grapesmuggler27

It should... same chevy bellhousing pattern and all. I don't know what you would have to do about controlling it (ECM) and the crossmember, etc. My mom's HD has the 4L80 in it behind a 6.0L. A friends suburban has it behind the diesel. I would think you could find the parts at a junkyard, and the info is probably online somewhere.

There's nothing to recal on that.

What did the trans shop say the specific problem was? Sorry I didn't get back with you today, I was pulling the trans out and apart from a Ranger. Tomorrow will be likely getting into a 4L60E in a Suburban, same as your's. I have to put a fuel pump in that one to get it running first, so I know what's wrong with it!

too old? they said they can do it to my 2002 gmc sonoma it uses the 4L60E

he said they can change shift firmness, shift points, speedo calibration and torque converter lockup.

Edited by serpentracer

too old? they said they can do it to my 2002 gmc sonoma it uses the 4L60E

he said they can change shift firmness, shift points, speedo calibration and torque converter lockup.

The only way that I know of to do that is with software from the aftermarket. The manufacturer's don't want just anybody messing with their software. That would be a nightmare of warranty issues, I'm sure.

Will that mount up with a 5.7 vortec ?

Yes, but it's not cheap to swap. Computer, extra wiring, possibly different transfer case, etc...

Really, for a half ton suburban with a 5.7L, the 4L60E is just fine. Honestly, I've seen more 4L60E's in S-10 Blazer's with problems, behind a 4.3 V6, and since the late 80's (before becoming fully electronic) they've been the same as the V8 version.

It's definately a problem with the band, but it COULD be something with the servo, which is servicable without reomving the trans, and the pan can even stay on. If this situation rolled into our shop, being a fairly fresh overhaul, I would start there, seeing that the fluid isn't burnt.

The only way that I know of to do that is with software from the aftermarket. The manufacturer's don't want just anybody messing with their software. That would be a nightmare of warranty issues, I'm sure.

it's a snap on solus pro. (yes I know the guys) that's specifically why they bought it. I'll ask him again tomorrow. he might be using it with a laptop to change things.

Edited by serpentracer

Yes, but it's not cheap to swap. Computer, extra wiring, possibly different transfer case, etc...

Really, for a half ton suburban with a 5.7L, the 4L60E is just fine. Honestly, I've seen more 4L60E's in S-10 Blazer's with problems, behind a 4.3 V6, and since the late 80's (before becoming fully electronic) they've been the same as the V8 version.

It's definately a problem with the band, but it COULD be something with the servo, which is servicable without reomving the trans, and the pan can even stay on. If this situation rolled into our shop, being a fairly fresh overhaul, I would start there, seeing that the fluid isn't burnt.

They guy at the shop said it looked great but had a bad smell to it

I think I would look into a 4L80E for that big of a truck. I can't believe they put the 60's in a suburban! From what I hear, the 80's are almost as bulletproof as the TH400 they're based on.

They put 4L60E's in H2's too! Found that out the other day. :lol:

They put 4L60E's in H2's too! Found that out the other day. :lol:

And behind a 6.0L as well! THAT is what surprised me, with the amount of torque the 6.0 makes. The 4L60 can take quite a bit of power, built properly.

I think somewhere in there they started calling it a 4L65E, meaning it's a bit heavier duty. Just a couple minor differences that will retrofit back to the non-electronic version even!

This guy did...the shop was m d transmission in Delaware I need to.get a second opinion but I don't want to drive it no more and cause more damage

no one smells transmission fluid anymore. lol

some of it smells burnt or like cat piss right out of the bottle and some don't.

no one smells transmission fluid anymore. lol

some of it smells burnt or like cat piss right out of the bottle and some don't.

If you work around the stuff and know what it should smell like, you can still tell if it's burnt, especially if it's Dexron3 as in a GM of that vintage. Looking at the fluid for particles in it (not so much the color) is important as well.

Many times, when a trans is having troubles, I don't cloud my judgement by even looking at the fluid further than just level until after I drive it, and on some look at some scan tool data. In fact, I'll sometimes ask someone to check the fluid for me, so that I don't even see the fluid condition. The Ranger (5R55E) trans that I have apart right now, I didn't even check it, due to the problem it has, knowing that fluid level would not cause the problem, without there being other significant problems.

My point is, transmission diagnosis is not as simple as it used to be, they're more complex, computer controls, different fluids, etc...

Edited by jporter12

And behind a 6.0L as well! THAT is what surprised me, with the amount of torque the 6.0 makes. The 4L60 can take quite a bit of power, built properly.

I think somewhere in there they started calling it a 4L65E, meaning it's a bit heavier duty. Just a couple minor differences that will retrofit back to the non-electronic version even!

The 60 will take power if built properly, but we all know that in factory form it isn't built properly. It's basically an electronically controlled 700R4, which was never known to be very strong either. I've seen guys running the 60's behind cars going into the 9's and 10's, but I would definitely look at an 80 instead. The TH400 they are based on was known to easily handle 500 lb. ft. of torque in big cars (like Buicks with 455's and weighing 4500lbs.). My dad's 70 GS runs low 12's on basically a stock 400 with shift kit and 3500 stall converter, and the car weighs 4000lbs with driver. I guess it depends on your budget and know-how, but a 4L80E should be a fairly simple swap to do. I can't imagine that they are using a different PCM for each transmission.

The 60 will take power if built properly, but we all know that in factory form it isn't built properly. It's basically an electronically controlled 700R4, which was never known to be very strong either. I've seen guys running the 60's behind cars going into the 9's and 10's, but I would definitely look at an 80 instead. The TH400 they are based on was known to easily handle 500 lb. ft. of torque in big cars (like Buicks with 455's and weighing 4500lbs.). My dad's 70 GS runs low 12's on basically a stock 400 with shift kit and 3500 stall converter, and the car weighs 4000lbs with driver. I guess it depends on your budget and know-how, but a 4L80E should be a fairly simple swap to do. I can't imagine that they are using a different PCM for each transmission.

Same PCM, different calibration, and some wiring changes. I went through a 2WD 60E-80E swap with someone on a 1995 truck, had the same PCM, different PROM (96 up is flash, not a PROM swap) Had to switch a few wires, and add a couple wires for the input speed sensor.