Spark Plugs

Jst2fst

OK, so I went out yesterday and tried to change (emphasis on try):nono: anyway I was using some spark plug tools from my tool kit and could not get the suckers loose ant all. Later only realizing that the plugs are not like normal car plugs but smaller. Does anyone know the speck for the plugs and where I can get the tools to replace my plugs.

Also any suggestions on what spark plugs are good. I was thinking of getting some NGK's or Champion Cooper plugs

You put the socket on the plug and turn it with a ratchet. I don't know why your tool kit wrench won't remove them' date=' but the socket size should fit unless the previous owner made a boo-boo.[/quote']

I've already done that. I used the two sizes that I had an a extender with no luck. They're stuck and I have no clue on how to remove them. What size sockets do they have to change the plugs?

Looks like an NGK DR8ES plug is the consensus from teh intarwebs.

Consensus also says 15/16" or 24mm socket.

Gap is 0.026

YRMV.

From working on my '02 Kat, that sounds about right. Engines between the pre and post are different, but not by much in the spark plug area.

Sounds like the previous owner didn't use anti-seize on the plug threads and they are on there but good. If you have a friend with an air wrench, I'd give him a call and see if you can borrow it to torque those bastards loose. When you replace them, make sure you put anti-seize on the threads otherwise you'll be whining again in a year or two.

I'd get some PB Blaster from Home Depot (best penetrating fluid on the market IMO), and give them a squirt. Find a socket that fits and take them out. NGK is a good plug, just stay away from Champion! THEY SUCK!! (Again IMO)

I'll give them another shot this weekend on removing them. I've already got some anti-seize to use. I'll have to see if Autozone or one of the parts stores has the right socket for me to use on the plugs.

Don't you already have the new plugs? Figure out which socket you need one of them. Don't go at them with an air wrench unless you really want to learn about heli-coils. Just use steady pressure and they will come loose. NGK is a better plug. I wouldn't use the Champions.

I'll give Napa a call and see what they have in stock. I almost have my bike running only three things things left to do change the spark plugs add some new fuel and posssibly clean out the carbs. Everything else on the bike checks out okay excepts those things mentioned. It's a bit irritating.

Napa by me can get stuff the same afternoon if you call in the morning. Don't know if there is just a warehouse close by or what, but they've done that a couple times for me. I use their oil filters on my Strom too. BTW, I bought the iridium plugs so I didn't have to change them out as often... something to think about.

man I hope you don't break one off..

sometimes it's easier with a little heat in the motor. but don't put the new ones in a hot engine.

that's how they get stuck.

Yea, that's exactly what I was trying not to do when I tried to take them out last weekend. I'm gonna use anti-seize on everything that I can get loose withing reason. So it I'll make for an easier dismantle over the winter months.

• 2 months later...