All out breaking ???

Xfz

OK, just got back form a practice session. Yeah, I have a four day weekend:D. Conventional wisdom wins. It was day light and no adrenalin so,??? Apply rear brake, front brake. Bike squats. Slowly (?) increase pressure till tires howl. Keep it there. If I had the presence of mind to do ^ the bike might have come to a stop without all the drama, swearing, and hopping around. The motorcycle gods sent a wake up call and looked out for me at the same time.:bow:

Lucky or fortunate, whatever. Be careful out there. Especially now that daylight is shorter and the leaves are coming down.:cry:

Edited by Xfz
I cant spell.

so really it all comes down to speed, no matter what youre driving or riding, if youre going to fast when something pops out in front of you, theres simply nothing you can do.

but hey wait! motard or supermoto whatever those crazy dirtbikes on pavement are called- those guys can slow down by skidding the rear tire and kicking it out like a drift, the more sideways they are the faster they slow down...

Some one with flat tracking experience should cut in here. A sliding tire does not slow too well. On the other hand a sliding tire does not load the suspension. Those guys are trying to set up for the turn. Similar to flat trackers or the rally cars.

so no rear brake is better?

another factor that helps the rear come up is the forks compressing under the added weight, so if the forks would lock whenever braking, then there wouldnt be a reverse lifting effect on the rear. the bike would be much more stable

its better to use both brakes, but under as much control as possible.

another factor that helps the rear come up is the forks compressing under the added weight, so if the forks would lock whenever braking, then there wouldnt be a reverse lifting effect on the rear. the bike would be much more stable

The TRAC system that Honda used for a couple years? It's an anti-dive system, that uses a piston that the calpier pushes when the front BRAKES are applied. There's a reason they didn't keep using it.

A few years ago on my CBR600RR I was on I-480 on my way to work going about 75 mph along with traffic. I cut right two lanes but a semi in front of me in the 1st lane I crossed was blocking my view of the completely stopped traffic in the lane I was entering. I managed hit both brakes, lifted the rear wheel about a foot, eased the front brake a bit, keeping the rear about 6 inches off the pavement until I came to a complete stop about 5 feet before impact would have occured. I had a little wobble while braking on the front wheel & I do remember the tire howling a bit but no lockup. I would prefer never to have to do this again but it is pretty amazing how quickly these bikes will stop.

no... rear brake is good.

and yes if you were able to keep the front suspension from compressing, your CG would stay further back, allowing the rear brake to do more.