I give up.....

Jst2fst

Ok, so here's what going on. My bike is not running and I've replaced or fixed things either broken, missing, or worn down. I got the bike back together added some fresh fuel and cleaned the carbs. Oil's fine and filter too any way I go to start my bike and one I can't get it in neutral like always two all it was doing was cranking I could here it putter but that was only because of the starter. The bike did however lunge forward as if it did want to start. So my only other option as to what the problem could be is the f-ing spark plugs.Went out and bought a new spark plug socket today after having the first two that were wrong to start with. Had a two 5/8 one deep well the other not so much. Went out today and bought a metric 16mm deep well socket and I still can't get a hold of the f-ing plugs. All the sockets do is touch the top of the nut that you use to take them out. I'm just about ready to buy Autozones entire supply of spark plug sockets until I find one that works. I have new plugs but the old one are being a pain in the azz to get out. I don't know what to do anymore and the guys at the parts stores don't know either. Help please:bow::bow:

5/8" = 16mm (pretty close, one of the closest standard vs. metric socket fits.) You need to get your hands on a spark plug that's not in the engine (buy one?) and take it with you to see which socket fits. Go to Autozone (or wherever) and see if they have a spark plug for your bike, and chances are that they'd pull it from stock for you to find what socket fits.

I don't want to discourage you, but a project such as you have is not a very good idea for a first bike, unless you're very mechanically inclined.

has this bike been sitting for a long time? Sounds like you could possibly have stuck clutch plate. If it lunges forward when turning starter but stops and the starter is spinning you might be ok. But if it keeps going forward while on the starter you have something stuck.

Check your spark plug with regular deep well sockets so you don't need to buy all the plugs

Check wires for spark

Edited by ironbuttwannabe

... I can't get it in neutral like always ... So my only other option as to what the problem could be is the f-ing spark plugs.

You couldn't get it into neutral, and its normal? Well, is the neutral kill switch bridged? Also, there could be a lot more problems than just spark plugs.

I personally want some more information. First, yes you cleaned the carbs, but is it getting gas and air, did you put the a/f mixture screw to stock? What does it sound like when you start it, that alone could be an indication of rich/lean or if its even going to start. It could be that the idle adjustment on the carbs was touched when you cleaned it. If it is lurching when you start it, is the clutch disengaged fully?

Right now it could be an electrical, fuel, air or something more problem. I need to know what you have done to troubleshoot the starting problem to be able to rule out causes.

You should be able to get the spark plugs out by the time you read this, go ahead and ground them out of the cylinder to check for a spark (if they look good and are not 10 yrs old, if they are just replace because you will need to anyway).

I don't wanna be an ass but might I suggest you really do give up. I've read your many posts on all the different problems and it seems you create more each time you touch a tool box and the bike. Just stop and take it to someone, Isaccspapa, Sambusa, Iron Pony, Honda Northwest ect.

As far as I know with the bike moving when it starts I think that I might just need to adjust the clutch cable. It only did it once and was probably my fault with letting off on the clutch. The carbs are set back to stock settings and I have not touched the air/fuel mix at all. I've narrowed it down to the plugs I just can't get them out of the cylinders. I was going to go and get a a bigger spark plug puller and see if that does the job. I know this bike bike would be a hassle to start with. Just not that use to working on bikes as I am cars. I'll try and get a 18mm deep well socket today and pray that it works. All electrical wires have power running to them. If I can't get it started by tomorrow I'm just gonna have a friend drop it off at my place for me.

Whats new on the bike:

Tires

Brakes front and Rear

Battery

Throttle tube

Spark Plugs

Clutch Lever

Brake Lever

Brake fluid changed

Oil Changed

Fuel tank cleaned

Carbs cleaned

New fuel hoses/clamps

Necessary wiring as needed

Whats new on the bike:

Tires

Brakes front and Rear

Battery

Throttle tube

Spark Plugs

Clutch Lever

Brake Lever

Brake fluid changed

Oil Changed

Fuel tank cleaned

Carbs cleaned

New fuel hoses/clamps

Necessary wiring as needed

Wow! That's a LOT for something that you don't have even running! Seriously, anything not keeping it from running should have waited until you verified that it WILL run. I hope you didn't waste your money, and that it will run.

You may also want to check and make sure the spark plug wire did not break off inside in the cylinder.

While possible, highly unlikely. Electrodes don't just fall off. It either takes ridiculously high cylinder temps or piston to electrode contact to remove that electrode from the plug.

5/8" = 16mm (pretty close, one of the closest standard vs. metric socket fits.) You need to get your hands on a spark plug that's not in the engine (buy one?) and take it with you to see which socket fits. Go to Autozone (or wherever) and see if they have a spark plug for your bike, and chances are that they'd pull it from stock for you to find what socket fits.

I don't want to discourage you, but a project such as you have is not a very good idea for a first bike, unless you're very mechanically inclined.

This will tell you exactly what kind of socket you need. If you pull the plugs/replace (and I hope you took our advice before and soaked that bitch in penetrating fluid) and the engine still doesn't start, I'd raise the white flag and take it to someone on here that has the experience and tool capabilities to figure out if you're getting fuel/air, or if anything is stuck/seized.

Dude, already told you in the last thread. 18mm thin walled socket.

I have one of these if it's needed.

Granted, I'm 100 miles north, but the offer's there.

the EX500's spark plugs aren't easy to get to either. I actually have 4 spare plugs sitting around that have never been opened if you want those too.

Dude this is how you learn about the bike you own is by working on it. Dont give up.

In my opinion, he's close to doing some irreparable damage. Todd's got a point, it seems that every thread he starts the problems are getting exponentially worse. There's a point of diminishing returns where you just have to call in an expert before, even though you had the best intentions, you do something really stupid.