Should I or Shouldn't I?

Big Green Valley

So, I went to Cycle Search yesterday to look at a 2003 Honda Interceptor. It needs some cosmetic work, but overall seems to be a solid bike. I'm looking to add this to the garage just to have something different to ride every once in a while.

I've ridden a few sportbikes, but have never owned one. What's the overall opinion on the VFR 800?

Now way in HELL I'd buy a used bike without a 40-50 mile test ride UNLESS there is some waiver to be able to bring the bike back for a 100% refund if there was a problem/dislike.

I can barely understand no test rides on new bikes...but no test rides on used bikes is stupid.

If you've got the $$$ in hand...you should be given the keys for a proper evaluation ride.

No $$$, no test ride.

That should be the policy.

BTD.

I agree you need to take the bike for a test ride.

If they deny you, there are plenty of other great deals out there as mentioned.

They seem to be good bikes.

I have never owned one, but I have ridden with a few owners with the VFR 800, and all of them had nothing but good to say about theirs.

There's the rub, they don't allow test rides.

$3695.00 + tax, title & misc fees.

I've not been to a single dealer yet that doesnt allow test rides on used bikes, and I've bought allot of bikes from allot of places and rode numerous others that I didnt end up buying. I hate to say this since CSI is a sponser but, walk away. Sorry Justin didnt know that was your policy till now but thats bad business there to not allow test ride on a used bike. And IMHO that price is too high for a damaged 03 VFR, I say a tad high for a perfect VFR right now.

Edit, just looked at the link. 14,000 miles, salvage title, still needs work, no way in hell I'd give $4000 for that and then still have to fix it.

Edited by MidgetTodd
  • Upvote 1

When I bought my bike there last year I, too, was leery of the "no test ride" policy.

They offered a full money-back guarantee if I bought it, rode it, and determined (for whatever reason) I didn't want it. I don't remember the time length you had to return it, seems like it was 30 days, but it might not be.

I had no issues whatsoever, still haven't, but YRMV.

Whether the bike is worth what they're asking is up to you. I recall that they were pretty flexible on price, and worked in an ORdN discount, MSF discount. I (in my mind) got a great deal.

Edit, just looked at the link. 14,000 miles, salvage title, still needs work, no way in hell I'd give $4000 for that and then still have to fix it.

knowing all this now I change my mind, Don't do it. I picked up my 06 earlier this year for $5700. That was in pristine condition, 3k miles and a ton of mods I was happy to not have to spend the money on

wouldnt pay more than 3k out the door on that thing....if it was repaired already and in top condition, with the salvage title, their price would be closer to alright...but still a hair too high...3500 otd would be more reasonable.....either way...thats way too much to spend on that bike, you can get a lot more for your money...or save up another grand and get a much nicer one

Hate to say it about a sponsor, but I don't like the way they do business. Been in there a few times the sales man was way to pushy, wouldn't even start the bikes unless I gave him a $500 deposit. Most of the salvage bikes were price pretty close to what retail on a clean title. The sales man said the prices were negotiable but only after a $500 deposit. I asked what happens if I don't like the way the bike runs or if we can't agree on the price? He stated I would get the money back. I said so what is the deposit for if I don't like it i get the money back but with out the deposit I can decide if I like the bike and price I can get it? Why have the deposit if I can get it back for any reason? He said that's how we run our business. I told him I felt that he was being way to aggressive about getting the deposit and possibly making me waste more of my time going to the atm to put a deposit on a bike I don't know if it starts. Then he said well it sounds like your wasting my time. I told him no problem I will leave but do not call me about this bike. (They make you sign in when you come in with your phone number). He changed his tune and said well how about you talk with our finance guy see what you two can agree on. I said OK. He then asked for the deposit before I could talk to the finance guy. I told him I felt that was stupid and told him not to call me because I will never by a bike there because I don't like the way they do business. About a week later I had a voicemail from the sales man telling me they were really trying to make room for new inventory and the price on the zx10 i was looking at has dropped call us back for an appointment. I didn't. Two days later I was able to get the call and kindly asked not to call again and assured him I would never buy a bike there. But that's just my experience. I've been biting my tongue since I joined the forum but it seems they have another person convinced their getting a deal on a polished turd.

Hate to say it about a sponsor, but I don't like the way they do business. Been in there a few times the sales man was way to pushy, wouldn't even start the bikes unless I gave him a $500 deposit. Most of the salvage bikes were price pretty close to what retail on a clean title. The sales man said the prices were negotiable but only after a $500 deposit. I asked what happens if I don't like the way the bike runs or if we can't agree on the price? He stated I would get the money back. I said so what is the deposit for if I don't like it i get the money back but with out the deposit I can decide if I like the bike and price I can get it? Why have the deposit if I can get it back for any reason? He said that's how we run our business. I told him I felt that he was being way to aggressive about getting the deposit and possibly making me waste more of my time going to the atm to put a deposit on a bike I don't know if it starts. Then he said well it sounds like your wasting my time. I told him no problem I will leave but do not call me about this bike. (They make you sign in when you come in with your phone number). He changed his tune and said well how about you talk with our finance guy see what you two can agree on. I said OK. He then asked for the deposit before I could talk to the finance guy. I told him I felt that was stupid and told him not to call me because I will never by a bike there because I don't like the way they do business. About a week later I had a voicemail from the sales man telling me they were really trying to make room for new inventory and the price on the zx10 i was looking at has dropped call us back for an appointment. I didn't. Two days later I was able to get the call and kindly asked not to call again and assured him I would never buy a bike there. But that's just my experience. I've been biting my tongue since I joined the forum but it seems they have another person convinced their getting a deal on a polished turd.

Had a similar situation... U aren't alone

WAY too high priced for a salvaged bike. Here's a quick link to a VFR with clear title and similar miles for less money!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-Honda-VFR-800-Interceptor-Non-ABS-/160483334996?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item255d8d5b54

Sure, you might have to drive, but the reality is that they are WAY too high priced on salvage bikes. The issue as of late is that salvage dealers are spending too much on crashed bikes and that gets sent over to the sales side.

Second, there is NO WAY in hell that you should EVER buy a salvage bike w/o a test ride. no way... I would tell you to turn around and start looking at C/L or Wheeler Dealer before I ever would tell you to do otherwise...

Too many other better deals on clear titled bikes out there from owners that can give a better idea of history than a salvage yard that saw it online and then bid to win the thing w/o a clue as to what happened or the history...