HD's aging biker problem

Tpoppa

As much as some people would love to see the Motor Company go under, it just is not going to happen in this lifetime. 10 years from now Recon will still be the only old guy thats not on a Harley:)

I heard that... I have skillz...

Actually, Harley Davidson has failed twice historically. WW2 bailed them out the first time, and trade sanctions/barriers bailed them out the second time. There probably won't be a third time, one way or the other.

edit: I have this "thing" about bikes that weigh more than three times my own weight. I won't do it.

Edited by ReconRat

Whenever anyone uses the price comparison to Jap argument, they always use Harley's cheapest models and compare them to the Japanese's most expensive brand. Ever notice that? Sure you did, you just did it.

Compare Harley's big cruisers with Star or Suzuki. Just for fun.

Ok.. I'll play ... stratoliner deluxe $17500, nomad $18400, ultra classic $18999 MSRP to MSRP. Sure, you can add lots of expensive leather fringe to up the value of any of them. Picking similar bikes from each manufacturer doesn't get you too far apart.

Edit: I meant "Electra Glide" not "Ultra".

Edited by C-bus
I was using my phone and honestly had a bit to drink.

Many have argued that HD's lineup is stale. Same old products sprayed flat black, etc. They need an all new fresher model to generate some intereste among younger riders. Unfortunately, their options are limited.

They tried this to a degree with the V Rod. In many ways the V Rod is the best bike in HD's lineup, but sales haven't been good. HD's failthful even went as far as "Honda Davidson" and "not a REAL Harley." Their customer base obviously doesn't like change. The XR1200 was another swing and a miss.

To avoid pissing off existing customers, they could introduce a newer, sportier model under a new brand name (sounds familiar). The MV plan was an abortion.

I don't have much HD love, but I am really curious to see their next move.

Edited by Tpoppa

I read that earlier today.

Anyone else catch this?

Marlon Brando's 1954 movie The Wild One helped solidify Harley's image of hairy-chested rebellion, an identification it alternately embraces and spurns.

Brando rode a Triumph Thunderbird (his own, actually) in The Wild One.

I've actually read that the movie increased Triumph sales.

I read that earlier today.

Anyone else catch this?

Brando rode a Triumph Thunderbird (his own, actually) in The Wild One.

I've actually read that the movie increased Triumph sales.

I had no idea, never even heard of the movie. but that's some funny shit. should call them on it.

Ok.. I'll play ... stratoliner deluxe $17500, nomad $18400, ultra classic $18999 MSRP to MSRP. Sure, you can add lots of expensive leather fringe to up the value of any of them. Picking similar bikes from each manufacturer doesn't get you too far apart.

Ultra Classic lists on HD's site for $20,999, as far as I can tell....and both the bikes you chose are bigger bikes (1800cc). Similar? Yeah, but arguably more bike for less with the Japanese bikes. You also neglected the C109RT...suzuki's top of the line cruiser which comes in at $15,999.

Kind of proving my point, but I'm not really invested in the argument that much. Jap cruisers are good bikes, cost less, the end.

Look used and the disparity in value becomes really marked. If you're buying to keep value in something, I see the argument for Harley.

Another thing that is not going to be in HD's favor is the plethora of low miles mint condition used bikes in Garages. The ones all of my buddies bought off the showroom floor for 20 +K, and have ridden sparingly. It looks like alot of fun when Jesse James and that ogre from Orange County are riding and acting tough.

:sheepkoolaid:

It's a different story when your old lady yells at you to cut the grass, and nascar is on that afternoon. The bikes sit. Then sell them for a substantial loss. Why buy a new one when you can buy a mint decked out pig for half the price.:shit:

I don't think they will go out of business, but who fuckin cares. If that business model is successful then the world is worse off than I thought.../end rant.:mad:

Actually 10 years is significant. The baby boomers are dying or approaching non-riding ages. Not only are there way more boomers than the next generation, our generation is more open and more informed about other brands. HD is taking a relatively fast ride downhill. Not only will there not be enough riders in general to market chrome and bandannas too, even fewer are even interested.

^ ^ This

Boomers actually started retiring last year. That's why I'm getting ready to go into the nursing home biz ;)

^ ^ This

Boomers actually started retiring last year. That's why I'm getting ready to go into the nursing home biz ;)

I hope the geezers are ready for the your bedside manner... :)

"can you get me some water?"

"you've got 2 legs and a walker, which is one more walker than I got. Get it yourself, AMA's on."

I hope the geezers are ready for the your bedside manner... :)

"can you get me some water?"

"you've got 2 legs and a walker, which is one more walker than I got. Get it yourself, AMA's on."

You mind if I "borrow" that for future use?? :D

"The desire for to own a Harley-Davidson has never diminished and has actually amplified as people consider owning a Harley much more than just having a motorcycle but being a part of a lifestyle. Enthusiasts have a far greater depth than just riding. Camaraderie, being part of a group who have the same interest, creating lifetime memories and friends are just a part. What other product has such a strong allure and influence on an age span of 25 years to 75+ years of age?"

“The days when Harleys were a fashion statement are likely over”. Have you ever seen a Honda or Yamaha tattoo? How about the owners of the rice-burners that wear a full faced helmet so they cannot be identifed? I love those that take the tank emblems off so people will "think" their imported big twin is a Harley.

now, i dont totally agree with both these statments, one thing i think we should all agree on is, if you own a bike ride it. enjoy it. wave to the other bikes. think im better riding my harley? nope! think im better for riding my 73 honda cb350? nope! do i wave? always. do i help those that need help? always. heck, its a gorgeous day outside, no snow or ice on the road... think im gonna go make my self smile! keep those mirrors clear ladies and gentlemen!

How about the owners of the rice-burners that wear a full faced helmet so they cannot be identifed?

I really do LOL at this statement.

If anyone really believes that the reason us "rice-burners" (or in my case pasta-burner) wear full-face helmets is so we can not be identified then they are mildly retarded. I have this thing on my body called a face. It's pretty. My face does not like grind along pavement at 50+ mph. That makes my face very unhappy.

But, I forgot....it doesn't matter if I don't have a pretty face when I get back up, as long as I looked cool to all the bar skanks with my flat black bowl on my head it's all good.

How about the owners of the rice-burners that wear a full faced helmet so they cannot be identifed? I love those that take the tank emblems off so people will "think" their imported big twin is a Harley.

I've never known anyone that rides a "rice-burner" that wears a helmet so they cannot not be identified.

A lot of "rice-burner" riders remove stickers and emblems in order to clean up the look of their bikes. I've had friends that ride big v-twins that have done so for the same reason. They don't do it because they want to be part of some retarded HD club.

I've never known anyone that rides a "rice-burner" that wears a helmet so they cannot not be identified.

A lot of "rice-burner" riders remove stickers and emblems in order to clean up the look of their bikes. I've had friends that ride big v-twins that have done so for the same reason. They don't do it because they want to be part of some retarded HD club.

You wish you looked this cool.

cheezburgercom.jpg

Actually, Harley Davidson has failed twice historically. WW2 bailed them out the first time, and trade sanctions/barriers bailed them out the second time. There probably won't be a third time, one way or the other.

I thought AMF bailed them out the 2nd time... You know... A foreign company?? ;)