Child Care

r6allstar

The fiance and I are expecting our first child in about 9 weeks. With everything else going on I have not had a chance to think about child care and who is going to be taking care of my boy after we go back to work. How did all you parents out there do it? Best way to find child care that isnt rediculously priced?

Also, we dont have any family within 50 miles so that is out of the question. And no I am not finding someone on craigslist. And no I dont need any of you guys to take care of my wife and kid instead of me lol... I think I covered all the bases. Discuss.

The current person we have now is someone that goes to our church. We put the word out in the church we were looking for someone and she contacted us. Said she would rather watch someone's kid she goes to church with her than someone else. She's much cheaper than a daycare and give's my daughter much better attention. She's awesome.

The current person we have now is someone that goes to our church. We put the word out in the church we were looking for someone and she contacted us. Said she would rather watch someone's kid she goes to church with her than someone else. She's much cheaper than a daycare and give's my daughter much better attention. She's awesome.

Good advice.. Wasn't expecting that :D

I rely on friends and family as I dont trust anyone else. If niether is availible one of us calls off or cancels plans. When they were real young we worked different shifts so one of us was with them at all times. I would kill someone for hurting one of my girls so I refuse to leave them with anyone I dont know personally.

The fiance and I are expecting our first child in about 9 weeks. With everything else going on I have not had a chance to think about child care and who is going to be taking care of my boy after we go back to work. How did all you parents out there do it? Best way to find child care that isnt rediculously priced?

Also, we dont have any family within 50 miles so that is out of the question. And no I am not finding someone on craigslist. And no I dont need any of you guys to take care of my wife and kid instead of me lol... I think I covered all the bases. Discuss.

I took mine to a daycare local to me and she was there for about 2 weeks before I said, "Fuck that!" She wasn't getting the attention she needed and she was uncomfortable there. She wouldn't sleep there, which is a HUGE fucking deal for a 3 month old baby. We pulled her out and found an in home private baby sitter. She does a hell of a job, but it is pricey as fuck. $800/mo. Honestly, I'd pay $1k/mo for what she does for my daughter though...

I took mine to a daycare local to me and she was there for about 2 weeks before I said, "Fuck that!" She wasn't getting the attention she needed and she was uncomfortable there. She wouldn't sleep there, which is a HUGE fucking deal for a 3 month old baby. We pulled her out and found an in home private baby sitter. She does a hell of a job, but it is pricey as fuck. $800/mo. Honestly, I'd pay $1k/mo for what she does for my daughter though...

Holy shit! I didn't realize day care could be so expensive. That's it, I'm never having kids, lol.

Good advice.. Wasn't expecting that :D

You mean good advice in this thread or good advice from me? lol

Yeah we had mine at one for a while and whenever I went in, she was in the crib, alone with nothing to do. I felt so bad for her. She also didn't progress in learning things. Now she's saying her ABCs perfectly and says please and thank you for everything. She turned 3 in June. I am such a proud daddy. :D

I still can't believe how expensive daycare is, it just boggles my mind. The place my son goes to (The Goddard School) charges about $1200 /mo for their infant room, and its full. That's more than my monthly mortgage payment! Luckily my wife is a teacher there and we get a hell of a discount or I don't know what we would have done.

You just need to look around at different centers to find one that fits your needs. Some are definitely better than others. You can search your area here for state approved centers: http://gis1.odjfs.state.oh.us/childcare/default.aspx

All centers are randomly evaluated and the reports can also be found on that site to let you know of any violations the center may have had.

Same thing, even same church! Our sitter does childcare at church. She's a teenager that's home-schooled. It's perfect for all involved, while the little one is napping, she can work on schoolwork. She graduates next spring, and is doing online college, so we should have her for quite a while!

You mean good advice in this thread or good advice from me? lol

All the above.

Yeah we had mine at one for a while and whenever I went in, she was in the crib, alone with nothing to do. I felt so bad for her. She also didn't progress in learning things. Now she's saying her ABCs perfectly and says please and thank you for everything. She turned 3 in June. I am such a proud daddy. :D

She get's all her brainpower from her mom, since you had so little to begin with, you couldn't spare any!

Seriously though, she's turning out to be a good kid, so far!

• Upvote 1

And no I am not finding someone on craigslist.

I have to admit, we did find a babysitter on CL, and all was well. We interviewed several, but with this one, I know her dad, so I could find out more about her. Also, checking out their social networking profiles was a help in NOT selecting a few. The biggest problem I had was her having to take time off too often. It's nothing personal against her, and I know she had some medical issues come up and all, but we just couldn't do it.

We put our boy at the Goddard School from 3mo until he started the first grade this year. The price would drop as he got older and the teacher ratios dropped (More kids per teacher the older the) but inflation made up for the difference. In 2004 we started paing 845/mo. Made my last payment to them in august - $850. Over 6 years, 6 months, we paid a total of $67,000 dollars.

(Since the day he started at goddard I called him my little corvette. That's the kind of car I could have gotten for an 850/mo payment)

My girlfriend is somewhat of a nanny and has worked in multiple child care places and she vows if/when we have kids she will never put them in those places because of the things shes seen. The kids she nanny's have the most extensive vocabulary and are far beyond their peers in their classes in terms of knowledge. With that being said I suggest getting someone with a background in child care the first years are the most important.

DO NOT PUT YOUR INFANT INTO A GROUP DAYCARE FACILITY!!!!

When the wife popped out my son her boss didn't like the idea of her being a stay at home mom so she had a daycare area constructed so the wife could take the kid to work with her on the two or three days a week she couldn't work from home.

Once we moved to PA she "retired" and popped out our daughter.

She quickly got bored with being a stay at home mom so she went an got her license and had the home inspected, and opened a day at home. Only had a max of 3 kids plus our 2, but NO infants excluding our daughter.

Goddard has been great for us. I took time to speak with the teachers every single day when I picked him up, for at least 10 minutes. Never had a moment's trouble.

He's way in front of his peer group for reading and math and just last week was reading a book on the human body and came over to explain to us what "Deoxyribonucleic Acid" is and what it does. He's 6.

I dunno if that's Goddard, him, me or luck repsonsible for that - but it works for me.

You do have to be careful and pick the correct place. You don't write someone a $67k check after 5 minutes of talking to them. It's an ongoing relationship that you have to work at making sure is good. Follow up on what your kid tells you, what his teachers are telling you. Don't always believe what your kid tells you about what goes on, but don't always believe the teachers either. That goes for group daycare or a nanny.

I used a private sitter for Rileys first year. When she turned one I started her in childtime. I LOVE her school and so does she. She is over three and still at childtime. I believe it's about $850 a month. I have a close friend of mine recommend sittercity.com she was once a sitter on the site and had a lot of great experiences with people she worked for. So I'd say check it out. They go through a process before they can be added to the site for being a sitter. Good luck. :)

Holy shit! I didn't realize day care could be so expensive. That's it, I'm never having kids, lol.

Oh yes,, my friend. That shit is expensive! I could pay cash for a used 848 in one year of daycare, then deck it the fuck out and do track days all the time if I had an extra $800. :) It will be nice when she gets into school age, though.

Honestly, I found ours on Craigslist too. She is FANTASTIC. She does an amazing job with Adalyn and takes her to the zoo once/week too (her brother is the head manatee guy). Couldn't ask for better.

Raise your kids to be athletes or musicians get monies back in return = win win situation.

That takes too long and the investment is unsure.

Get your kid hooked on narcotics and vandalism, then the state gets to take care of them. No reward like the above, but no risk either.

You'll just have to keep paying the taxes you bitch about anyway, but nothing you haven't already budgeted for.

What's better? A $67k sure thing or a 0.01% chance you'll get a partial cut of a 7 figure payday?

I'll take the $67k.