interesting read on loud exhaust

oldschoolsdime92

I can always hear the guys with loud pipes riding past my house on the highway half a mile away. Pretty annoying. Can't say I've ever been in a position as a cager where the volume of a bike's exhaust has made the difference in me knowing they are there or not. But then I've never been in a position where a bike "snuck up on me".

It's all about predators. If you paint eyeballs on the front of your car or bike, the deer will most likely flee. It's something their weak brains understand.

Likewise, if you paint your car or bike to look like police (predator), other vehicles will steer clear.

I've seen the loud thing work and not work. So I'm not sure. But I do know that 90%+ of human perception is visual. All other senses account for the remainder. And that's after the brain seperates what it wants, and does not use 90% of the visual. (It becomes subliminal, subconscious, or ignored as nothing.) Visual perception is the number one human sense, in terms of the amount of raw data available.

I did once have a motorcycle in the right side blind spot of a van on the freeway. No windows, but I could hear it. And it was just a normal bike, not even loud. The fool was sticking with me, I couldn't accelerate or slow down to shake him. I finally just hit the brakes, when there wasn't anything behind me. I wanted to get off the freeway before we got to Pittsburgh...

On the other hand, I had a sport bike filter me on the West side outer belt. (Yeah, that happens a lot out there.) I sure didn't hear him, but I saw a flash in the right side van mirror, just as I was changing lanes to the right. I hesitated, and he ripped past up the middle of the two lanes. That's visual.

In honor of ReconRat's post I'll clarify that I *have* had sport bikes shoot past me on the white line between myself and another car, going twice my speed on the freeway, and I've be unaware of them until they are in front of me... But that's not a case of me being unobservant.

bad argument

and false

you telling me you cant hear it until it goes by, because sound is directional and only being behind the pipes would be audible??

Dude, you completely argued against your own point... You can surely hear the car coming, but it was VERY minimal and only loud when he passed by.

Sound is directional and yes, obnoxious pipes may be heard as they approach, but aftermarket exhausts - the below posted vid with ALL those race bikes as an example - are not going to create a sound that is attention getting by people up ahead...

It's like at an air show when an F16 comes by. You hear intake noise for sure, but it isn't "LOUD" until it cracks past you...

Loud pipes saves lives is BS and an excuse to be a turd burgler.

These HD and cruiser idiots with SUPER obnoxious pipes ought to be steam rolled by Mack trucks... Same with the tards on sport bikes with no packing in their cannisters... Idiots.

and im not arguing for those harley fags with their screaming eagle gayness, just saying that you can in-fact hear a bike coming from behind you (sure its limited, youre not gonna hear them a mile off - im talking blind spot area)

im all for a happy medium between quiet/loud - i had a big block mustang with open headers (couldnt afford the rest of the exhaust yet) and it was obnoxious...couldnt even have a conversation with the passenger at idle, had to yell the whole time....so it just sat instead of being driven (i mean...it had some other problems too...lol)

The article is from 2008. So it predates the noise laws recently passed. I tried to find more recent info, but nothing found. I suppose they will stay stock when buying new motorcycles in the future.

They've since switched to ST1300 or Bimmers and all that I've encountered have been running stock exhausts. There's been a big push out here from various motorcycle groups and such, to allow the LEOs to wear ATGATT, especially FF or modular helmets.

Me and the the Mrs. had this debate after this bill got passed. When I first got my bike she was hell bent on me NOT making it louder. After I got run over she was hell bent on me making it louder. She's a believer that loud pipes save lives, even though she has admitted that she rarely knows a bike is flying up her six until they pass her, including me.

No matter what we do we will still be invisible to most of the cager ragers out there. My bike is louder than the Fed 82db, but not sure by how much.

They've since switched to ST1300 or Bimmers and all that I've encountered have been running stock exhausts. ...

I was pretty sure most had switched. The ABS prevents wrecks.

edit: And in case anyone is wondering, the insurance companies considered trying for mandatory ABS on bikes. (Didn't work out on cars.) Too late mostly, the manufacturers are headed that direction already.

Edited by ReconRat

I was pretty sure most had switched. The ABS prevents wrecks.

edit: And in case anyone is wondering, the insurance companies considered trying for mandatory ABS on bikes. (Didn't work out on cars.) Too late mostly, the manufacturers are headed that direction already.

i got a rental car that was supposed to be comparable to my car that was in the shop, via insurance.

my car was a fully loaded saab with every electronic feature known to man.

they gave me a shitty kia during a snow storm...the thing had no abs, no traction control, no nothing. it was like a stripped down, 6k brand new, pile of shit.....i cant believe any car comes without ABS anymore...i mean, i managed alright, but i would hate to imagine that some asian women are behind the wheels of these sliding death machines, projectiling themselves at the rest of the people on the road because they dont know how to stop without ABS in the snow...it was an 08 or 09 kia spectra, fairly new

what makes it better is tho is when i returned it they asked me how i liked it, and i told them it was a pile of shit and i cant believe they rented it out during a snow storm....they tried to argue with me saying it had abs and tc...the dude was literally arguing with me, and i told him straight up i just drove it for a week in the snow, i know it had neither....idiot, he said its mandatory on all cars now and that i was wrong :rolleyes: i just walked out

there was some kid on 70 heading into downtown a stretched gixxer, with what i can only assume was NO exhuast.

i could BARELY hear him when he was behind me. BARELY. once he passed me, it was EXTREMELY loud. i could hear him still when he had to be a half mile ahead of me.

loud pipes dont save lives, they piss people off and give all motorcyclists a bad name.