salvage info needed

jbctown

I have yet to get the inspection from the OSP on my salvage title. The next appointment I could get was Nov. 15th and don't want to wait that long to ride. So does anyone know the legal ins and outs of riding with dealer plates and full insurance on this until I get this done?

The man's gotta get his.

I am quite aware of this. The reason for my question was because we run cars without titles on dealer plates all the time, also salvage rebuilds without issue. How else would you test a vehicle without a road test. I know it would push the limits on a road test but just seeing if anyone had info on this.

^ the inspection is not to verify if the vehicle is safe to be on the road, its to verify it meets all the requirements to be on the road - lights, horn, etc... you get inspection, then you start road testing to make sure its safe to ride.

you cannot ride it without inspection, even with dealer plates.

cycle search mentioned this in one of their threads, that the salvage bikes cannot be test ridden due to not being inspected, and them being a dealer, they would have plates for them

theres no way to bypass the system, sorry man....i know how ya feel, it sucks, ive been there

if youre still unsure, call the sheriffs office and ask them directly...theyre the ones who do the inspections, they will be able to confirm

The reason for my question was because we run cars without titles on dealer plates all the time, also salvage rebuilds without issue.

a salvage rebuild has already been inspected, hence "rebuild"...so theres no problem there.

and cars without titles? i would check into the legality of that...if a car doesnt have a title, i dont see it being legal to drive on the streets...1. theres a reason theres no title (stolen perhaps?) or 2. self constructed - which you also need to have inspected before you can drive...

^ the inspection is not to verify if the vehicle is safe to be on the road, its to verify it meets all the requirements to be on the road - lights, horn, etc... you get inspection, then you start road testing to make sure its safe to ride.

What they are REALLY looking for is stolen parts. I know some people that go through the process many times a year, and I don't know that they even check the signals, etc, but if there's a VIN tag missing, or painted over, they can, and many times do, confiscate the parts.

if youre still unsure, call the sheriffs office and ask them directly...theyre the ones who do the inspections, they will be able to confirm

It's actually the Highway Patrol that does the inspections in central Ohio. I'm not sure if it's different in oher parts of the state.

I'm not trying to bust on you Tyler, just making sure that the correct info is out there. The short answer is get the inspection done before riding it, unless you're prepared for the penalties if you get caught. If you

re feelin lucky, toss a plate on it and whoolie it past a cop! :lol:

1. theres a reason theres no title (stolen perhaps?)

I lease a body shop from a new car dealer, the cars are on floor plan and not titled. I drive a demo from them and my shop ins. covers it. Anyway's we sometimes rebuild totals and part of my insurance covers test driving these vehicles hence my question. I also saw the post from cycle search but that was about customer test drives I think.

gotcha, thought you meant used cars with no title...even if insurance covers you on riding a salvage title bike, johnny law will not be ok with it...you can call and ask to confirm, but i wouldnt expect a different answer...and if the bike has dealer plates, i dont imagine it matters who is riding it, it still has plates...

and yes, its highway patrol not the sheriffs, my mistake - thanks for correcting me judd

I lease a body shop from a new car dealer, the cars are on floor plan and not titled. I drive a demo from them and my shop ins. covers it. Anyway's we sometimes rebuild totals and part of my insurance covers test driving these vehicles hence my question. I also saw the post from cycle search but that was about customer test drives I think.

You may want to contact someone that knows the law, such as a lawyer, or higher ranking law enforcement officer on that one. I'm oretty sure the new car thing is covered, but I really don't think the rebuilds are, until they're inspected.

The guys I know drive them to the inspection, with no plates. They were told that it was legal to do so. Personally, I would look into it before I did that!

You may want to contact someone that knows the law, such as a lawyer, or higher ranking law enforcement officer on that one. I'm oretty sure the new car thing is covered, but I really don't think the rebuilds are, until they're inspected.

The guys I know drive them to the inspection, with no plates. They were told that it was legal to do so. Personally, I would look into it before I did that!

you are allowed to drive them to the inspection - thats the only time..you have to have the receipt for the inspection with you, and youre allowed to drive there and nowhere else...shawn trailored my bike for me, i think it had a wobble still, idr

you are allowed to drive them to the inspection - thats the only time..you have to have the receipt for the inspection with you, and youre allowed to drive there and nowhere else...shawn trailored my bike for me, i think it had a wobble still, idr

Ok, that's pretty much what they had said. Fortunate thing in the situation I'm talking about, they're not on a main road, so a test dirve is not very likely to get them in trouble, LEO's aren't around very often.

Ok, that's pretty much what they had said. Fortunate thing in the situation I'm talking about, they're not on a main road, so a test dirve is not very likely to get them in trouble, LEO's aren't around very often.

i think i put like 200 miles on mine before i had it inspected lol...mostly country roads to my girls, but i rode it on 270/670 a few times commuting to columbus state

i think i put like 200 miles on mine before i had it inspected lol

:nono:

For the most part, if you ride sensibly, you're not going to draw any attention to yourself, and have nothing to worry about, as long as the bike functions properly, signals, etc... Back in the day, I drove without a license, suspended license, no insurance, etc. all the time!

:nono:

For the most part, if you ride sensibly, you're not going to draw any attention to yourself, and have nothing to worry about, as long as the bike functions properly, signals, etc... Back in the day, I drove without a license, suspended license, no insurance, etc. all the time!

lol i drove for an entire year while under suspension...probably not the smartest idea, but oh well :p...i still had insurance, so i figured i was good to go

The sad part about this whole thing is I have put $0 into it just some cosmetic fairing damage,tank and swing arm damage(scratches). The state has taken all the $ with fees. I low sided it at about 25 mph down south and rode it home 170 miles with no issues except the broken ribs. I have also put about 1700 mi on it after the little get off. The nice thing the Ins. Co. sent me a check for $6935.00 try selling a 07 GSXR 750 w/22,500 mi. for that.

lol i drove for an entire year while under suspension...probably not the smartest idea, but oh well :p...i still had insurance, so i figured i was good to go

Just don't look at a cop the wrong way, driving a car that LBTS! That go tme caught the last time, which was about 13 or so years ago. Lesson learned!

Funny story about that, i hadn't driven in about a year and a half, my dad took me in my car to take the test to get back on the road (I had 12 points, had to get a permit, take test, etc.) He said let's stop and you can drive, I said no. I went in, took the permit test, the proceeded to the driving test, and passed with like a 95% on everything! They wouldn't let me get the permit, then go around the block, it had to be permit test, right into the driving test.

You just told me to WHOOLIE past the cops, did you not? And yes I am feeling lucky.........

I said if you're feeling lucky to do it! Since you feel lucky, go ahead! I'm not endorsing such behavior. I guess it's just another case of sarcasm wasted. :(

:lol:

Just don't look at a cop the wrong way, driving a car that LBTS! That go tme caught the last time, which was about 13 or so years ago. Lesson learned!

i got a close call..had work priv. but i was house sitting way out of my driving area...one morning at 3am i was driving to work in my pile of shit probe with major exhaust leak...drove past a sheriff on a 2 lane road, he was driving towards me...i did nothing at all, speed limit, everything...he turned around, and ran me down pulling me over....asked to see my driving priv. papers and then let me go on my way...never mentioned me being almost an hour outta my driving area, and never mentioned what actually prompted him to turn around in the first place, just said i was good to go

i got a close call..had work priv. but i was house sitting way out of my driving area...one morning at 3am i was driving to work in my pile of shit probe with major exhaust leak...drove past a sheriff on a 2 lane road, he was driving towards me...i did nothing at all, speed limit, everything...he turned around, and ran me down pulling me over....asked to see my driving priv. papers and then let me go on my way...never mentioned me being almost an hour outta my driving area, and never mentioned what actually prompted him to turn around in the first place, just said i was good to go

I wasn't far off track, just headed the wrong way off track, and had a passenger! Not to mention a not-so-lenient LEO!