$11,599.99 for a 2011 GSXR 600?

DTM Brian

Why have the prices of these bikes jump so much in just a couple years? I am sorry but that is alot of money for my taste. I have always wanted to buy at least one new motorcycle. However I think they are priced higher then what I am willing to spend for one. At this point the only time I will buy a new bike will be a 2 year old left over. I am sorry but wages have not gone up keep up with the cost of things. Looks like it is time to raise my dyno pricing so I can keep up with the Jones.

I think I will be happy with my 01 1000 for awhile.

• Upvote 1

:plus1: It's crazy. I agree Brian. That's not factoring in the insurance too on these bikes. I will be keeping mine for a very long time and rebuilding motor and shit when it is dying from age. I can see 600's being $20k in 8-10 years. That's only a little 600 too! I'm not a fan of new prices either from 2010+.

It makes one wonder how or why motorcycle sales are down with prices like that.

These prices are in Harley Davidson territory.

I know completely different style of bike, but still the price of HD's has been a joke to some for years, now a 600 is breaching that price range?

What really amazes me is some people will pay that price for one.

It makes one wonder how or why motorcycle sales are down with prices like that.

These prices are in Harley Davidson territory.

I know completely different style of bike, but still the price of HD's has been a joke to some for years, now a 600 is breaching that price range?

What really amazes me is some people will pay that price for one.

The difference is that the DOLLAR is performing poorly. Also, understand that in reality, 600s have always been on par with HD pricing. They are constantly updating technology and in fact, leading the way in motorcycle technology. Thus, the R&D departments need to be paid for. The fact that the Big 4 have new designs and new technology on average every two years, that costs money.

HD isn't responsible for anything new in terms of technology and yet, people have been paying that amount for 1940s technology for years. Plus, they are an American company even though they use over 80% non-US components...

Point is simple - the economy is in shambles outside the US let alone our issues here. Bike sales were in the toilet for the last few years and the OEMs need to justify the expenses of creating new bikes. Until the population buys more machines like it used to, the cost of buying these bikes is going to rise.

It's simply a supply and demand issue at this point. The Japanese OEMs are struggling to stay above water. This is going to start a trend not only in price, but how often new models come around. The 600s and 1000s will always try and be on 2 year rotations as they are the basis of a lot of the technology that is found in the industry and amongst the brand's machines.

Exotic machines like Ducati, Aprilia, KTM, etc are also going to have to raise prices to offset the dollar issues... It just appears to be closer than ever before, but if you really look, in years like 2006 when the new R6 came out, it was $9200 - up from the previous geny by $800 plus. That was about $5-$6k less than a Ducati 999. Roll to this year and the 1198 standard is $16,500. About $5k more than the GSXR 750 and honestly, not a better a bike. Now, if you compare 1198SP to the GSXR 750, you are looking at a difference. But, you are also looking at a steeper difference in price...

In reality, it has always been about $5-$6k difference from 600s to base models from Ducati and others... You are just used to seeing $10 plus K from the exotics and not the Big 4.

STT-Brian,

Good post, I get all of that.

The point I was trying to make is I never thought the Japanese Motorcycle's

would ever see Harley Davidson prices across the board, regardless of their much more advanced technology, or for any reason, not that they are not worth more than, or equal to an HD product.

Just hard for me to accept, I guess I have just been spoiled throughout the years, that is all!:)

Put yourself in Suzuki's shoes:

You have to think of this from a sales/marketing perspective. Suzuki is asking themselves, "who is our target market here?" I assume that the answer is Males, age 18-35. Especially at the younger end of that spectrum, people are financially retarded. They won't even look at $12k and think "damn, that's a lot of money," they'll look at the $99/month payment with $500 down and finance the bike for 10 years.

by 2014, their 2011 bike will be on Craigslist because their payment jumps from $99/month to $199/month, and they'll be paying interest out the ass. They'll still owe $8900 on the bike, and that will be their asking price; despite the fact that all of us will know that their bike is only worth ~$6k max by then (and that's with low mileage and no drops).

So either they'll sell it and take a significant hit, or the bank will repo it, and someone (probably a dealership) will buy it at auction and put it back on their showroom floor for $7500.

I did notice that the new model has Brembo calipers, so I guess at least you are able to see what you are paying the extra for. And I know that is just one thing, but I'm sure there are others that you can't see, or at least can't easily see. Just looking at the features tab it also has a BPF adjustable rearsets, and an electric steering damper.

I bought my 2005 GSXR 600 right when the 2006's came out and walked with $6,200 plus the taxes. I thought it was pretty good.

But redkow is absolutely right.

Edited by Goldie

Well. Good thing MV Agusta just dropped the price on their new F4 to $17,000. At least someone is trying to help out. lol

Used exotic prices are FTW. I wanna put the RSV up for sale, but the question is, get a newer RSV, a Duc 1098, or an older MV? Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

7500 for a 10 year old bike?? for that i can have the leftover 08 zx10r at rousch

To me it's not the same. Look at all of the craftsmanship and work that goes into making an MV and maybe youll understand why I want it. It's not another Japanese, econopriced robot being pumped out by the 1000's.

7500 for a 10 year old bike?? for that i can have the leftover 08 zx10r at rousch

Time Valu Mac&Cheese is $.50 a box. Save teh monies, and get the Kraft, even though it costs more... Others are just pretenders.