Computer geeks - Google search virus?

Moto-Brian

Everytime I do a search on Google, I click on the link and get another search engine or an advertisement that has nothing to do with what I was looking for - it doesn't go to the site...

Now, if I go to ASK.com and do the same thing, it is fine.

Also, on the Google search, you will have a sub category or an indented link from the same site. I can click those and it goes to them...

I use Ad-Aware and it isn't catching it. Any thoughts? Pain in the ass...

http://www.google.com/search?q=google+links+redirecting

Honestly, you'll probably never fully get rid of this one. It's a vicious motherfucker. Another reason why I refuse to use Windows.

If you have the option to format and start over with a fresh install of Windows, that's going to be the easiest option. If not, good luck. I recommend HijackThis, Spybot, and Adaware. However, the particular malware you have likely won't let you download those tools, and won't let you run them. You'll have to download them on another PC, copy them to a thumb drive or something like, then copy them to the infected computer. Then you have to run them in safe mode. It'll take hours, and most likely not fully fix the problem.

My personal suggestion, fuck Windows and install Ubuntu.

With that said, assuming you're using Internet Explorer, you can try this:

Download ComboFix from Here or Hereto your Desktop.

**Note: It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop and run from the desktop and not any other folder on your computer**

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus and anti-malware real-time protection and any script blocking components of them or your firewall before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results" or stop combofix running at all
  • Click on THIS LINK to see instructions on how to temporarily disable many security programs while running combofix. The list does not cover every program. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
  • Remember to re enable the protection again after combofix has finished

--------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Close any open browsers and any other programs you might have running

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

If you are using windows XP It might display a pop up saying that "Recovery console is not installed, do you want to install?"

Please select yes & let it download the files it needs to do this

When finished, it will produce a report for you.

Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" for further review

****Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall or freeze ****

Note: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.

Note: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you -- please tell us when you reply. Read HERE why we disable autoruns

Please do not install any new programs or update anything (always allow your antivirus/antispyware to update) unless told to do so while we are fixing your problem. If combofix alerts to a new version and offers to update, please let it. It is essential we always use the latest version.

Can't necessarily argue with Ben, though I would try either Malwarebytes or CCleaner in Safe Mode first, brought over from an external source. But you do have a sticky one here. An OS reinstall might be the only fix.

I get the same issues at times Brian. Since then, I've been getting the BSOD(blue screen of death) a lot as well. My computer is fucked up. I've ran Chkdisk uncountable times and another option which I can't remember.

Would replacing my motherboard, ran, cpu, hard drive fix it all? I'm wanting to do that soon anyway.

I need a new operating system if I don't huh? Format my hard drive and then install new OS? Is that what you're posting BEN? :confused:

I get the same issues at times Brian. Since then, I've been getting the BSOD(blue screen of death) a lot as well. My computer is fucked up. I've ran Chkdisk uncountable times and another option which I can't remember.

Would replacing my motherboard, ran, cpu, hard drive fix it all? I'm wanting to do that soon anyway.

I need a new operating system if I don't huh? Format my hard drive and then install new OS? Is that what you're posting BEN? :confused:

MB, RAM, and CPU are probably fine.

Easiest fix: buy new HD for <$50, fresh install of whatever OS you have, patch it, put some sort of anti-virus on it, reinstall whatever progs you need.

Buy an external HD enclosure for <$20, put the old drive in it. You can grab your pictures/pr0n/music off of it.

***edit: when you're sure you have everything you want off of the old drive, format it, then use it as a backup of \my documents, or wherever you store your "stuff". If/when your machine again starts acting strangely, all your goodies are backed up, so just wipe it and reinstall.

***edit #2: Once you get the machine back to where you want it (patched, a-v, progs installed) but BEFORE you put all your "stuff" on it, set a system restore point. If/when it all goes to hell again, revert to the restore point.

If you're feeling adventuresome, download Ubuntu (or some other Linux), burn it to CD, boot from the CD, and try it as your OS for a day or evening. If you think "yeah, I could use this", then install it to the HD.

I've been using it (Linux) as my main OS for around 10 years - feel free to ask/PM for help.

Edited by jblosser

Crap, that's an amazing reply jblosser! Thank you. I will try this out.

I saw in a pc problem forum that this stuff is good. Opinions? I have AVG and Zonealarm for my free virus and firewall. I don't have any spyblaster though.

Anti-virus link

http://users.telenet.be/bluepatchy/miekiemoes/Links.html#AntiVirus%20Scanners

Spyware blaster

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Use Mozilla, Opera, or Firefox browser instead of IE.

I found a HD on newegg. Can I just buy one or do I have to match it to my system? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

Open your PC case and find the hard drive. Look at the wires going to it.

There will either be 2 skinny wires or a big flat cable and a power wire.

If it has a big flat wire it's a PATA or IDE drive

If it has 2 skinny wires it's a SATA

sata-ide_lg.jpg

Other than that pick a size you like and have at it! :D

• Upvote 1

Now If I put my new HD in the enclosure and move the programs I want over to it, it won't move any malicious things to my new HD will it? Such as the crap that is messing up my old one? Ofcourse all I want is all my documents, such as family pictures and 1 video game.

jblosser - What is "patched"?

"Patched" = once the base OS is installed click Start, All Programs, Windows Update (or open up Internet Explorer, and click Safety, Windows Updates), select every single update available, let them all install, reboot, check again for updates.

Once there aren't any more updates, you're "patched".

Simply pulling the pics/movies/music/whatever off of the old drive and moving it to the new drive <shouldn't> cause any issues. It's possible that one or more pics/mp3s/whatever is infected, but unlikely. Since you won't be booting from the old drive, there won't be any "bad" services or rootkits or anything else "running" on it - it will simply be acting as a file repository.

To anyone who wants to dispute this - Yes, it's <possible> for an un-booted but powered up drive to do bad things, but again, highly unlikely.

"Patched" = once the base OS is installed click Start, All Programs, Windows Update (or open up Internet Explorer, and click Safety, Windows Updates), select every single update available, let them all install, reboot, check again for updates.

Once there aren't any more updates, you're "patched".

Simply pulling the pics/movies/music/whatever off of the old drive and moving it to the new drive <shouldn't> cause any issues. It's possible that one or more pics/mp3s/whatever is infected, but unlikely. Since you won't be booting from the old drive, there won't be any "bad" services or rootkits or anything else "running" on it - it will simply be acting as a file repository.

To anyone who wants to dispute this - Yes, it's <possible> for an un-booted but powered up drive to do bad things, but again, highly unlikely.

I'm not going to argue this, but I will add that a virus scan before accessing any of the files would be a wise move, maybe with a couple different A/V programs! This is just on case one of the files is infected ion some way. I would only scan the files that you will be keeping though, and maybe even get rid of all the program and system files, Windows Dir, etc... before scanning.

This sounds a lot like a nasty Browser Hijacker so I'm kinda surprised no one uses HijackThis...if you know what to look for, or are willing to do a little reading on the scan results, I've never really seen anything that it didn't find evidence of somewhere in the annals of your registry.

By all means, this may be way more than you want to get into, but for the advanced user, it's the only way to go for pesky shit like that.

I'm not going to argue this, but I will add that a virus scan before accessing any of the files would be a wise move, maybe with a couple different A/V programs!...
...Easiest fix: buy new HD for <$50, fresh install of whatever OS you have, patch it, put some sort of anti-virus on it, reinstall whatever progs you need....If you're feeling adventuresome, download Ubuntu (or some other Linux), burn it to CD, boot from the CD, and try it as your OS for a day or evening. If you think "yeah, I could use this", then install it to the HD...

JP: good reminder for NN and everyone else - if you're on a MS OS, protect yourself.

@NN: Assuming you get a new drive and hook the old one up, point your A-V at it and scan the entire thing. I personally recommend AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition (click). It has A-V, Anti-Spyware, web browser link scanner, e-mail scanner, and a resident scanner (working in the background checking files you're using).

This sounds a lot like a nasty Browser Hijacker so I'm kinda surprised no one uses HijackThis...if you know what to look for, or are willing to do a little reading on the scan results, I've never really seen anything that it didn't find evidence of somewhere in the annals of your registry.

By all means, this may be way more than you want to get into, but for the advanced user, it's the only way to go for pesky shit like that.

I woulda recommended it (and I think Ben did in his treatise), but it requires some work if you don't know what you're looking at.

Probably quicker (and better in the long run) to start over with a fresh, patched OS.