Computer geeks - Google search virus?

Moto-Brian

@NN: Assuming you get a new drive and hook the old one up, point your A-V at it and scan the entire thing. I personally recommend AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition (click). It has A-V, Anti-Spyware, web browser link scanner, e-mail scanner, and a resident scanner (working in the background checking files you're using).

I have AVG currently. So you're saying...

Send AVG to my new HD that is in the external enclosure and scan everything 1 at a time as I move it over from my old HD that is currently in my PC?

I am understanding this right? Do that, then format the old HD before I pull it out. Insert the new one, load a new XP on it, then put the old formatted HD in the enclosure and send my new shit over to it for backup?

When do I scan again?

I have AVG currently. So you're saying...

Send AVG to my new HD that is in the external enclosure and scan everything 1 at a time as I move it over from my old HD that is currently in my PC?

I am understanding this right? Do that, then format the old HD before I pull it out. Insert the new one, load a new XP on it, then put the old formatted HD in the enclosure and send my new shit over to it for backup?

When do I scan again?

-Current hard drive gets pulled out, set aside.

-Put new hard drive in PC.

-Install OS, A-V on new drive.

-Patch OS (on new drive).

-Put old drive in enclosure, connect to PC.

-Point A-V at the old drive, scan the whole thing (you could pick and choose folders/files, but easier to just do the whole thing).

-Copy what you want from the old (external) drive to \My Documents (or somewhere)

-Now that all the "keep" stuff is on both the old (external) and new (internal) drives, wipe out/format the old (external) drive.

-Use some tool (I recommend Karen's Replicator (click)) to sync \My documents (or wherever you want to store your "stuff") between the two drives

-Unless you set up a scheduled sync, disconnect the external drive from the PC when not in use - "it can't get infected if it ain't connected" (a little Johnny Cochran rhyme for you, free o' charge)

-Current hard drive gets pulled out, set aside.

-Put new hard drive in PC.

-Install OS, A-V on new drive.

-Patch OS (on new drive).

-Put old drive in enclosure, connect to PC.

-Point A-V at the old drive, scan the whole thing (you could pick and choose folders/files, but easier to just do the whole thing).

-Copy what you want from the old (external) drive to \My Documents (or somewhere)

-Now that all the "keep" stuff is on both the old (external) and new (internal) drives, wipe out/format the old (external) drive.

-Use some tool (I recommend Karen's Replicator (click)) to sync \My documents (or wherever you want to store your "stuff") between the two drives

-Unless you set up a scheduled sync, disconnect the external drive from the PC when not in use - "it can't get infected if it ain't connected" (a little Johnny Cochran rhyme for you, free o' charge)

Backup that sucker! I have all of my PC's backing up to a windows home server box. I don't even know it's happenning, unless something goes wrong an it notifies me. I also have some more important things, documents, pictures, copied to other computers as well. I'm thinking about making a backup of the important stuff on DVD, or external HDD and keeping it somewhere else.

Thank you for all the information!

My pc is perfect now and STUPID fast with no issues at all.

I used a big flash drive to save what I wanted. I then used my XP disk and booted my pc from the CDROM drive in F8. I formatted my HD and started all from scratch. I then used my driver CD and loaded all my needed drivers. Then I got all my 79 updates from microsoft and loaded Comodo firewall and virus scanner. I have a BRAND NEW pc all over again! No more bad sites for me! :lol: My shit was corrupted something FIERCE! My malware had malware! :lol: I'm going to load "spywareblaster" tonight for extra protection.

Everytime I do a search on Google, I click on the link and get another search engine or an advertisement that has nothing to do with what I was looking for - it doesn't go to the site...

Now, if I go to ASK.com and do the same thing, it is fine.

Also, on the Google search, you will have a sub category or an indented link from the same site. I can click those and it goes to them...

I use Ad-Aware and it isn't catching it. Any thoughts? Pain in the ass...

I donno if this would help or not but did you try a different Internet Browser ?

Will you get the same issue using a different internet browser ? or is it just IE ? try firefox or opera and see

I've got this one too... I 'get rid' of it once every week or two and it comes back. :(

I found out some ISP's actually are doing this. zoomtown from cincinnati bell does.

there is an opt out option but you have to read the fine print at the bottom of the page to find it.

I kept getting zoomtown search results. and just recently they changed it to another one that is way harder to get to stop. I just forget what the name of it is. but I had to jump through a few hoops to get it turned off.

I was so pissed I was ready to call them and turn off my internet. because if I searched from the address bar all it would do is pop up an advertisement for cupcake sales in cincinnati.

they hijack any browser you can get.

Edited by serpentracer

Gotcha. So my firefox can still open things that require active x?

Also, what exactly is active x about and why is it bad?

I'm telling you guys firefox will get you a virus/trojan easier than IE.

I don't know why some of you insist firefox is better. IE has proven safer to use than firefox.

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/06/study-internet-explorer-8-protects-best-against-socially-engineered-malware/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJBCrXdz4ew&feature=player_embedded

whatch how many sites IE8 blocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O94v1MdMcxk&feature=channel

Edited by serpentracer

I have been seeing trojans and hijacks that change your web browser proxy settings to run through localhost in order to capture packets. Check your proxy settings in:

Firefox -> http://www.wikihow.com/Enter-Proxy-Settings-in-Firefox.

In IE -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135982

Most people don't use a proxy, so typically there should be no IP address entered in that field.

Paddy

Everytime I do a search on Google, I click on the link and get another search engine or an advertisement that has nothing to do with what I was looking for - it doesn't go to the site...

Now, if I go to ASK.com and do the same thing, it is fine.

Also, on the Google search, you will have a sub category or an indented link from the same site. I can click those and it goes to them...

I use Ad-Aware and it isn't catching it. Any thoughts? Pain in the ass...