600 grizzly engine help

Steve Butters

got it off...checked timing chain and it is infact loose, even with tensioner out all the way...got excited and thought "sweet it needs a chain"...but apparently, that is not the only problem...drained the oil

CIMG1772.jpg

any idea what those shaving could be from? judd says it could just be the guides and tensioner arm

Edited by Steve Butters

got it off...checked timing chain and it is infact loose, even with tensioner out all the way...got excited and thought "sweet it needs a chain"...but apparently, that is not the only problem...drained the oil

CIMG1772.jpg

any idea what those shaving could be from?

Timing chain guides would be my guess. I AM a mechanic (I prefer automotive tech.) but not a bike tech.

tyler , tear the side of it down. it's not that hard. and if you need a puller for that side , let me know. just dont fuck up the brand new stator pick-up i put in there.

oh and im the guy that had the quad, and put it back together. lets just hopes its the chain guides. but i dont think so. most of the noise was in the bottom end.loudest in the center. yes you can hear the noise every where on it, but it was loudest right below the jug. but if its just the guides, then cool. you got lucky.

the black piece on the left was plastic i think...but it broke apart when i touched it...the rest is just really thin metal..and i said shavings because theyre so thin and not chunks..

i really have no idea where they came from...pull stator cover off and didnt see anything obviously wrong - next is to get a puller and get the flywheel off and see what im looking at....ill go from there, rob i may get at you tomorrow about that puller

if the guides look ok then my next step is going to be pulling the head and the jug and seeing what im dealing with

well, might as well pull the motor back off if your going to do that. but we can use my bore scope on it and see if we can see anything in the case. oh and i found a bunch of other stuff here for it too. i found the harness for that head light, and the jet kit i got for it too. i just put new brakes on it too. man i shouldnt have sold it back to you so cheap. but oh well. givesa me a reason to buy another dirt squirt-er. if i can find one on a deal

ok ill be over tomorrow to get the rest of the stuff and talk to you about what i wanna do with it from here.... ill talk to you before i pull the motor this time...last time i pulled it i followed the manual and ended up with a bare frame + front suspension lol....i think it was overkill

yeah, and you didnt need to do that. pop the front drive shaft out, and dont remove the swingarm. lol you can slide the motor far enough forward to get it out of the shaft, and then slide it out of the frame. been there done that. takes some wiggling, but its doable.

i should have kept it, and just did a big bore kit and what not, but it was all the other little parts started adding up on it, that kept me from doing it

• 3 weeks later...

all the timing components look good, aside from normal wear on the guides...guess its time to pull the head and the jug and find out what im looking at..

thanks for the tool rob, ill bring it back over in a little bit....ended up being those real long bolts lol

Edited by Steve Butters

im fucking stumped...the jug is off, piston is off, and theres no up and down play in the rod, and looking in with a light and spinning it over, nothing looks broken or damaged or anything...i have no idea where that metal came from

the piston looks beat to shit, but the chamber doesnt look too bad..the marks it does have are smooth, cant feel them at all...ill get some pics and video loaded shortly

Edited by Steve Butters

CIMG1772.jpg

any idea what those shaving could be from? judd says it could just be the guides and tensioner arm

when you get a chance, swing these chunks by so we can see what they are made of. wondering if the clutch basket is starting to coming apart.

something in the crankcase has to be hurt tho.

when you get a chance, swing these chunks by so we can see what they are made of. wondering if the clutch basket is starting to coming apart.

something in the crankcase has to be hurt tho.

Something like that is a possibility!

That piston and cylinder LBTS! They need replaced, or the cylinder bored and a new piston. Not sure if/how much can be bored out of that cylinder though.

Something like that is a possibility!

That piston and cylinder LBTS! They need replaced, or the cylinder bored and a new piston. Not sure if/how much can be bored out of that cylinder though.

looks like minor wear, but hard to tell till you feel it. from my understanding you can go .20 easy. even .030 has been done. but can always hone it and see where it lands with a bore mic.:D

tyler we can always shove the bore scope down it and see if we can spot anything.