CNBC show about Remington 700

scottb

The 700 trigger has been used for 50+ years. That includes in military combat.

If you incorrectly adjust any trigger, you can make it unsafe. I could do the same thing with mine and have done it on purpose for testing when I adjusted my pull weight. Also, it doesnt matter if its the older style trigger or xmark pro, if you incorrectly adjust it, you can create safety issues. These people are just looking to file lawsuits. And for the vid of the police snipers showing it fire, I can guarantee they adjusted their trigger way to light on purpose just to show the vid. Such BS!!

Edited by flounder

I have no sympathy for someone who shoots someone while sitting next to them.

What part of "never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot" don't people understand. I say negligence is on both parties if in fact the gun malfunctioned.

As far as the gun going off and injuring someone that you cannot see (through a wall) I can understand.

so, let me guess, CNBC is going to spin this without regard to the operators that handle the guns? I mean, if I am not competent enough to understand that if I change the trigger in such a way, I have to treat the firearm with more care.. should I really be modifying it?

My take... if I am ready to shoot it at all times, and assume it's always loaded, and "risky"...if I treat all firearms with respect, then why would it ever injure someone...

I suppose a self defense situation might appear a little different... but all safe firearm handling rules still apply...

As a kid, growing up around firearms, I always looked for the "cut this part off to make it fire multiple times" mod...

At one point, I had modified a ruger 10/22 with such a light trigger pull, that I could "bump fire" it at insane speed...

you can modify, tweak or change just about anything and make it unsafe.

/OFFrant

watched the show. no denying the fact remington knows about the problem. they try to say they never could replicate the problem in a lab but provided documents stating otherwise back in the 1970's.

the problem is it can fire when you take the safety off. which you have to do to unload the bullet from the camber.(idiotic design) and it sometimes doesn't fire when you pull the trigger, then all it take is a tap on the bolt or anywhere and the gun fires.

if that's not a safety issue nothing is.

the guy who invented the gun even warned remington back in the 1940's it was unsafe. and came up with a fix but since it costs 5.5 cents for every gun they decided not to.

but now, their new gun implements the same exact part to keep the gun from accidentally going off.

deny it all you want, there are plenty of videos demonstrating it going off for no reason. and it even did it in a courtroom. because it did, a judge awarded someone 17million. all over 5.5 cents lol.

now it's going to cost rem close to $100 a gun to recall. the recall costs more than remingtons worth. that's what they get for being bull headed.

Edited by serpentracer

It's funny because I had no idea that the CEO of Cabela's used to be the CEO of Remington. Even he denied the media a request to speak about it. I can see what Remington is saying about safely handling of the rifle and I was drilled with always treating any firearm is if it were loaded and take the appropriate precautions. But I don't think Remington has a leg to stand on with this issue and the 700.

I also like the fact remington is all over youtube trying to discredit the show. and they won't let you comment without approval.

that's like toyota trying to say their gas pedals sticking were because people were pushing it instead of the brake...yeah ok.

and cigarettes don't cause cancer lol. trust us where philip morris.

watched the show. no denying the fact remington knows about the problem. they try to say they never could replicate the problem in a lab but provided documents stating otherwise back in the 1970's.

the problem is it can fire when you take the safety off. which you have to do to unload the bullet from the camber.(idiotic design) and it sometimes doesn't fire when you pull the trigger, then all it take is a tap on the bolt or anywhere and the gun fires.

if that's not a safety issue nothing is.

the guy who invented the gun even warned remington back in the 1940's it was unsafe. and came up with a fix but since it costs 5.5 cents for every gun they decided not to.

but now, their new gun implements the same exact part to keep the gun from accidentally going off.

deny it all you want, there are plenty of videos demonstrating it going off for no reason. and it even did it in a courtroom. because it did, a judge awarded someone 17million. all over 5.5 cents lol.

now it's going to cost rem close to $100 a gun to recall. the recall costs more than remingtons worth. that's what they get for being bull headed.

Bullshit.. the xmark trigger will act the same way if you adjust it wrong. Its about the adjustment of the trigger. Adjust anything wrong and you can make it unsafe..

you know what's really funny about that video????

they left out the clip of the army sniper demonstrating how it doesn't go off and only takes a tap on the stock to make it fire.

is that a safe user fault or a unsafe gun?

Whats funny is that those were "police snipers" Who obviously have the knowledge to create that scenario. Hell, if you want I could do the same thing with mine. If you know how it works, then you know how to make it fail.

Whats funny is that those were "police snipers" Who obviously have the knowledge to create that scenario. Hell, if you want I could do the same thing with mine. If you know how it works, then you know how to make it fail.

so you admit it has a fault. you can't make something fail if is can't actually happen. demonstrating it over and over only proves without a doubt it's a flawed design.

the guy who designed the gun even told remington it would and can fail.

Edited by serpentracer

Based on the TV show, it was factual. It turns out that Remington knew about the design issue about 60 years ago. I as new shooter, I already know to treat any firearm as if it was loaded and never point the barrel at anything you dont want dead.

How much does the adjustment affect the likelihood of accidental discharge?

I'm trying to equate this to "adjusting" some other product improperly. Like if I rode a motorcycle with 8 psi in the tires, that wouldn't be the tire's fault, even though it's the tire that failed.

I'm ASKING if there's a plausible correlation with the triggers here. I don't know firearms, nor did I see the show - so again, I'm ASKING.

a bad design allows failure, but in some cases poor maintenance is what CAUSES it.