Routine Gun Finish Maintenance & Rust removal

Gump

I've used steel wool before to take rust of firearms. If you have patience and go slow, it works really well. Oiling the gun down is the number one preventative maintenance item you can do. If it's a gun I use often, I just put a very light coat on it. If it sits a lot, I use a heavier oil and put it on thicker. In a pinch, motor oil works very well too.

I've used steel wool before to take rust of firearms. If you have patience and go slow, it works really well. Oiling the gun down is the number one preventative maintenance item you can do. If it's a gun I use often, I just put a very light coat on it. If it sits a lot, I use a heavier oil and put it on thicker. In a pinch, motor oil works very well too.

cosmoline is the best thing you can use on a gun. the navy even uses it on ships I've been told

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/

if you guys have a old gun and want to retain it's value don't use steel wool etc. you'll ruin it's value.

BTW, since everyone has been on an 870 kick lately, that black matte finish on the 870 express WILL rust if you don't oil it.

I was under the assumption that that coating was corrosion resistent, and I had little rusty fingerprints on the barrel in no time. At that stage they just wiped off with Hoppes and oil, but if you look really close you can still see the etch.

if you guys have a old gun and want to retain it's value don't use steel wool etc. you'll ruin it's value.

So is there a better way to get it off if it has really light spots of rust, all down the top of the barrel, but you don't want to mess up the blueing or the value? I never really understood the situation of retaining the bluing and value yet trying to clean it up scenario. Would it be better to leave it or remove it.

So is there a better way to get it off if it has really light spots of rust, all down the top of the barrel, but you don't want to mess up the blueing or the value? I never really understood the situation of retaining the bluing and value yet trying to clean it up scenario. Would it be better to leave it or remove it.

I don't know anything about restoring guns but I've been told to never use steel wool to clean one.

it basically makes it worthless. this is old guns. not something modern.

I don't know anything about restoring guns but I've been told to never use steel wool to clean one.

it basically makes it worthless. this is old guns. not something modern.

The aged patina on an old gun makes it more valuable. Changing or removing the "age" does indeed ruin it's intrinsic value.

edit: btw, never use a rust remover on a firearm. Bluing and browning is a form of corrosion and will be removed.

Voice of experience here, I had to re-blue a part on a Colt for my stupidity. I did hot bluing on the stove to fix it.

Edited by ReconRat