so that TL1000 thread had me thinking....

El capitan

so i have been wanting a newer bike for a few months, mostly due to the fact my bike is vintage. parts aren't a pain really, but they aren't down at the local dealer. they usually involve the internet and a lot of waiting. not to mention the fact that it isn't really what you would call quick. don't get me wrong, i'm not looking to go 11xty billion miles an hour. i'm realistic with my skill level and understand that typically its the rider not the bike.

so after some careful thought i have decided to keep the hawk and continue to learn and grow with it. one of the things that needed to be addressed on the bike was a cranky countershaft bearing. fixing that problem requires splitting the cases.... not fun. so my thoughts were to have the motor worked to 700cc's and have some head work done while they are off. all typical hawk stuff nothing that hasn't been done thousands of times before. it should gain about 15 or so horsepower to put me around 65ish.

so that brings me to here. i know i'm not at the bikes limits as it sits now, the countershaft work needs done before i would sell it. but should i pass on the power upgrades? i don't plan on having the motor apart ever again. i'd think if it needed more internal work in the years to come i'd just sell it.

cliffs: first bike, want more powa, would like highway speeds easily, what should i do?

What's all that gonna set you back?
if you have it apart and plan on keeping it awhile, just do the power upgrades unless the price is ridiculous

basically a rebuild is like 6 bills with stock parts, then factor in the 5 dollar fucking countershaft bearing. and whatever else is wrong inside. nothing major, but hawks eat up gearsets a tad so they might need replacing. so around 700 dollars for just the trans/engine rebuild.

if i do the rebuild and jump to 700 cc's with the headwork and everything the price goes up around a grand.

^this^

labor costs in tearing it down anyway, cant be much more for the bore/stroke.

its not terribly involved, but its new pistons, rods, crank work, balancing, and dyno tune and break in.

these prices were quoted by a highly recommended hawk tuner. this guy eats and sleeps hawks. i'm sure i could get it cheaper, but his knowledge of what does and doesn't work is worth it too me.

and i don't want my bike to be older than the guy working on it ya dig?

700 dollars for just the trans/engine rebuild.

700 cc's with the headwork and everything the price goes up around a grand.

extra 300 bux for an extra 15 hp? i dunno if i'd do it, personally. but then 15 is a major jump for your bike.

i'd be on the fence, too

Not sure I'd spend $1' date='000 to "supe-up" a HawkGT. I think you're asking for more trouble than you are bargaining for... but that's just me. I tend to swing a bit on the conservative side. (read: boring)[/quote']

i hear ya. i'm never getting out of it what i put into it. and since thats the case in my twisted mind i figured if i'm gonna have to keep it to get my monies worth i might as well have fun. that 700 kit isn't crazy over the top motor ready to blow up just to get 3 extra hp. a lot of the guys on the forum have had it done to their bikes with no issues.

extra 300 bux for an extra 15 hp? i dunno if i'd do it, personally. but then 15 is a major jump for your bike.

i'd be on the fence, too

i think i saw that they dyno'd out around 50 hp stock. with the 700 kit some have seen 70-71 peak hp and respectable torque.

it sucks because i like the fact its unique and love the looks/sound of it. its not the most comfortable bike, but its not terrible. just sucks it isn't worth a whole lot.

i think i saw that they dyno'd out around 50 hp stock. with the 700 kit some have seen 70-71 peak hp and respectable torque.

it sucks because i like the fact its unique and love the looks/sound of it. its not the most comfortable bike, but its not terrible. just sucks it isn't worth a whole lot.

sell the wife. Keep the Hawk, buy my VFR :D

Agreed' date=' and I feel the opposite as you. I'd accept the Hawk for what it is, not what I wish it were. It's a very, very cool bike. 75hp SVs are a dime a dozen.[/quote']

i just want a little more umphh out of the old girl. its never gonna be a fast in a straight line bike. ever. its not meant to be. in all honesty i really just want to be able to cruise at 70-75 and not have to be tached up and tucked in. i'd like to commute on it next year and at the moment it can be a tad bit taxing between parma and aurora.

Why don't you just buy the Viffer' date=' then? You could keep the Hawk the way it is, use it when you want to, and commute on a bike designed for commuting.[/quote']

cause i'd still have to spend money on the hawk. but i like your thinking. i kind of feel like if i have to spend money on it why not ride it.

and the hawk was a commuter bike.... just made for short trips haha..

i'd be on the fence, too

Dude, you cant get a pipe for that Bird for 3 hundy, and if you could, it would add what, 5-7hp?

I'd spend $300 for 15hp all day, especially if I was adding that 15 hp to 50.

I would just fix the Hawk and skip the mods. Increasing to 700cc will make it less reliable. Plus it will be harder to sell with a heavily modded engine-not an issue if you never plan on getting rid of it.

Hawks are somewhat rare classic sporty bikes. It'll be easy to sell if you've out grown it. Plenty of more powerful machines can be had on the cheap these days.

Dude, you cant get a pipe for that Bird for 3 hundy, and if you could, it would add what, 5-7hp?

I'd spend $300 for 15hp all day, especially if I was adding that 15 hp to 50.

That's you.

I'm pretty happy with the stock numbers, the previous owner added the akra pipe, and the PC3. I was already way north of 100 HP, so adding more is really an effort in futility. it'll power wheelie in first and 2nd gear, and honestly, I don't think i'd notice an extra 15.

I would keep the Hawk and fix it, they are cool bikes!!! Maybe you could pick up something like a naked SV650 or 599 as a commuter and keep the Hawk as a fun toy. Good luck with whatever you do & I really love your Hawk it is a very unique bike.

I assume you are referring to Hord as the well known Hawk guy. Well, you will NEVER go wrong with JD and Hawks. He's one of only a VERY few that have as much intimate knowledge on Hawks.

Freakin awesome bikes and he was one of the very last to give up when the SVs came to town. The costs he is quoting is very good and actually below industry average. I'd say at minimal, get it back to fresh and like new and keep it. Adding the 700 kit may cause issues in reliability and will time out sooner than if kept stock.

These are becoming collectible to a degree and modded may hurt resale. Probably not if JD does it...

My suggestion is to not sell it and get something else. If you cannot afford to do both, keep it until you can. It's one of those cool bikes that you'll soon regret selling.

If selling, let me know.

Yeah, the builder is jd hord, can't go wrong with that guy. As far as collect ability goes with the hawk good unmolested bikes still pull 2500. Mine however has all of the typical hawk mods nothing too fancy.

I will more than likely keep it because honestly I love the looks and uniqueness of it. Maybe another bike is the way to go, well see.